Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Welding...a safety warning

Hey guys!
    With all the home shop welders here...thought I'd share this.
    I was air arc gouging a week ago on a big excavator bucket.
    I wear all the proper heavy duty safety equipment.
    "Somehow" a big piece of molten slag got into my damn boot and burned it's way right down to the top of my foot.
    I was hopping around, trying to get all the safety gear ond boot off.
    Finally got it off, grabbed the metal and pulled it off. Burnt my fingers to top it all off.
    Now I'm fighting a badly infected third degree burn about the size of a quarter.
    It's right where my boots all bend so it keeps getting iritated and won't heal up.
    Take care when you are welding. It can be a very dangerous "sport".
    I've had hundreds of little burns and a few bigger ones. You get sort of immune to them til one like this bites you.
    Russ
    I have tools I don't even know I own...

Brilliant.
    I can just imagine this, dancing about to the tune of Wide Eyed and Legless by Marty Feldman and Heather Mills.

Sir John , Earl of Bligeport & Sudspumpwater. MBE [ Motor Bike Engineer ] Nottingham England.

Comment

Originally posted by John Stevenson
      Brilliant.
      I can just imagine this, dancing about to the tune of Wide Eyed and Legless by Marty Feldman and Heather Mills.

LOL! No...it was mostly X rated music that was playing at the time!
      Still can't figure how it got in there....tall leather lace up boots done up tight, jeans and coveralls on top....must be magic!
      I have tools I don't even know I own...

Comment

Originally posted by torker
        ...must be magic!
        Torker

Magic is only in the eyes of the beholder.

Take care of that foot. Hard to heal, and can definatly cause problems if not allowed to heal properly.

Have danced to the same song different tune. Try a hot grinding spark rattling on your ear drum, will make you move with nowhere to go.

Ross
        GUNS Don't kill people
        Drivers using cell phones do.

Comment

Sorry to hear about that, torker. Hope it heals up as quickly as possible with no further problem.

The first item of safety gear I got when SWMBO got me a MIG machine, after the helmet and gloves, was the leather chaps that go around the lower leg and over the shoes.

My very first welding experience, many years ago, came when the boss let me have a go at TIG. It was a sheet metal shop, and the machine was all setup for the material at hand. It was idling between jobs, and I got to try some Al welding. A nickel sized piece of slag got between my foot and the tongue of my shoe. It hurt like hell, but was very entertaining for the others in the shop. It also took too long to heal. (As do most injuries to "useful" parts of the body.)
          The curse of having precise measuring tools is being able to actually see how imperfect everything is.

Comment

Same thing happened to my father-in-law years ago when he was welding for White Truck. A glob of hot material somehow snuck inside his boot and badly burned his foot. Took a long time to heal. Take care of that.
            Free software for calculating bolt circles and similar: Click Here

Comment

I know exactly what that feels like.about 35 years ago I was opening the charging door on top of a blast furnace, had to put my foot against the furnace wall to pull the door open, when it broke loose some of the spilled charge went down the top of my boot. I had a very bad burn that took months to heal and as long ago as it was ,I still haven't forgotten.

Comment

Welding...a safety warning

Ah yes, hot slag balls!!!! When I was taking welding in Vo Tech they started us off with o/a running beads on little scraps of steel (coupons). As newbies we all tended to get the tip too close to the puddle and POW, the acetylene would detonate and blow gobs of 5000 degree metal into the air. There is nothing like the smell of burning hair and skin when one of those lands on your head.

Russ, take care not to let that get infected as it can really cause you lots of grief. I have nothing but respect for professional welders. I have seen them calmly weld on while parts of their anatomy smoulder so they don't mess up the bead they are running. That is why I will never be more than a "welder of necessity."

Jim (KB4IVH)

my shoes smell bad enough without smoke coming out of them!!!
                Jim (KB4IVH)

Only fools abuse their tools.

Comment

Hmm, I guess I was truly playing with fire when I first got my Mig welder from HF and was welding some plate just wearing shorts. Yeh, I dont have a welder anymore...

Comment

Here ya go Bill

Free software for calculating bolt circles and similar: Click Here

Comment

So there I was...

...gas welding a rust hole inside the fender of a '49 Chevy pickup. The wheel was removed and the truck was on a jackstand. I was sitting on the floor with my head and shoulders in the fender well, me, the torch and filler rod curled around the axle and brake drum. The weld popped and a ball of slag rolled up and followed the curve of the inside of the fender until it lost momentum then dropped straight down - onto the top of my head. I couldn't just drop the lighted torch, or the filler rod with the red hot end. I couldn't easily extricate myself from under the truck, so all I could do was let it burn while I shut down the torch and lay down the filler rod and climb out. I felt for the blob of steel, turned out to be about the size of a BB and melted over half its diameter into my scalp and surrounded by a neat ring of burned hair. Had to pry it out with my pocket knife. Surprisingly, no long term pain and the crater healed up without a trace.
                      Weston Bye - Author, The Mechatronist column, Digital Machinist magazine
                      ~Practitioner of the Electromechanical Arts~

Comment

Laying on my back on the ground doing semi-overhead welding on the side of a car trailer (running bead on the bottom of a D-ring tie-down). Had all the gear on - leather jacket, helmet, safety glasses, full-length gloves etc...

then a hot piece of slag goes right in my ear. Earplugs are now part of my gear when doing overhead welding.

Wayne

Comment

For those who have had the spatter in the ear, doesn't it make the strangest sound as it heads for your eardrum? It is a sound I will never forget. I also remember welding a half inch gap in some Al extrusion, when I sudenly found out I was not paying attention to where my rod tip was. A 1/4 inch ball fell off the end, directly into my sleve. It rolled down the sleeve, around the arm, and down my side untill it came to a rest at my belt. My sleeve was on fire, but I only had about 1/2 inch to go, so I finished the weld while a mig welder was telling me I was on fire, like I didn't know. I told him to come put it out. When I finished, and put the fire out, I understood why he hadn't, he was rolling across the shop floor laughing.

I hope your foot heals soon. try several layers of bandage to help reduce the iratation.

Rex

Comment

Yikes, I'm gonna be more careful! I can associate some bit with the landing on the head thing. I was welding something the other day sitting on a firebrick which was sitting on the ground, and I got all hunched over in a little ball, exposing the top of my head to the world. Every so often a nice little flux-core-mig ball would land right there, give me a little sting. Not fun, can't imagine a big one in a shoe!
                            You never learn anything by doing it right.

Comment

Russ, do you know about Karma? was a free mill worth it all? Or it just could be the mill is cursed didn't you say the previous owner died?

Comment

Working...
                              X