Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Interesting surace treatment

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    Originally posted by nickel-city-fab View Post
    Not so different than the old "Japan" finish, the chemistry is similar but the temps are 2x higher. FWIW, you can still buy the genuine Cosmoline in quart cans: https://www.cosmolinedirect.com/mil-...caAr33EALw_wcB

    I know the "baked on" finish you are talking about, they are pretty indestructible. Don't see it very often nowadays, though.
    That was part of my thought process. I had seen Eric? Over at Hand Tool Rescue and his attempts to reproduce the Japanning process. IIRC his recipe includes either Tar or Pitch and some quantity of Linseed oil.

    I think I'm gonna get a small quantity of Cosmo to try, just to see if there is any difference, but so far I'm liking the LPS3 result.
    I just need one more tool,just one!

    Comment


    • #17
      Originally posted by Hal View Post
      Wierdscience

      Oh well blew your chance of going the whole year without making a mistake.
      Blame it on spellcheck.

      Hal
      Good thing I got 2021 under my belt before I screwed up 2022
      I just need one more tool,just one!

      Comment


      • #18
        Originally posted by chipmaker4130 View Post

        Three things: Typing on a tiny, on-screen keypad and a lot don't know and don't care.
        That's part of it, this one was due to a crappy keyboard on a PC however. It used to be a keyboard would last a decade, now I'm lucky to get a year out of one. F and O require extra effort on this one.
        I just need one more tool,just one!

        Comment


        • #19
          Originally posted by wierdscience View Post

          That was part of my thought process. I had seen Eric? Over at Hand Tool Rescue and his attempts to reproduce the Japanning process. IIRC his recipe includes either Tar or Pitch and some quantity of Linseed oil.

          I think I'm gonna get a small quantity of Cosmo to try, just to see if there is any difference, but so far I'm liking the LPS3 result.
          Yep, I saw the same videos. The process is actually pretty well known in art circles. Asphaltum was a common pigment in oil paint 100 yrs ago. So basically all he did was create a very runny oil paint and bake it without burning it. It polymerizes into a hard glossy substance. You could grind up some roof tar in linseed and get something similar.
          25 miles north of Buffalo NY, USA

          Comment


          • #20
            Originally posted by vectorwarbirds View Post
            What is it with the spelling and grammar these days, do people just not know how to spell or do they just not care anymore?
            When posing two questions in one sentence it would be more grammatically correct to use a coma after the "or" between the two questions.

            Great info in regards to the surface treatment, going to have to do some experiments along that route myself.
            Thanks for bringing this up.
            Home, down in the valley behind the Red Angus
            Bad Decisions Make Good Stories​

            Location: British Columbia

            Comment


            • #21
              Never have gotten a bright blue finish. Had to settle for either rust bluing (black), or heating to a high black heat and dropping into old motor oil, depending on whether the part needed to be hard or not..

              Originally posted by Willy View Post

              When posing two questions in one sentence it would be more grammatically correct to use a coma after the "or" between the two questions.

              ..............
              There have been times when I'd like to use percussive inducement of a "coma" on the perpetrators of bad grammar, ignorance etc ..........................
              Last edited by J Tiers; 01-01-2022, 12:24 PM.
              4357 2773 5150 9120 9135 8645 1007 1190 2133 9120 5942

              Keep eye on ball.
              Hashim Khan

              Everything not impossible is compulsory

              "There's no pleasing these serpents"......Lewis Carroll

              Comment


              • #22
                Originally posted by J Tiers View Post
                Never have gotten a bright blue finish. Had to settle for either rust bluing (black), or heating to a high black heat and dropping into old motor oil, depending on whether the part needed to be hard or not..



                There have been times when I'd like to use percussive inducement of a "coma" on the perpetrators of bad grammar, ignorance etc ..........................
                Was wondering if anyone would notice the spelling error. Trying to be facetious in order to catch the perp twice. Too late, cat's out of the bag now.
                Home, down in the valley behind the Red Angus
                Bad Decisions Make Good Stories​

                Location: British Columbia

                Comment


                • #23
                  I really think much of the spread of poor writing skills, and especially spelling errors, can be attributed to the internet and today's cyber social interaction.
                  Years ago most everything read was professionally published, with the benefit of editing. Nowadays most of us are largely reading the literary vomit served up by others whose diet was the other literary vomit that preceded.
                  ...in other words, it's contagious!

                  Of course there will always be innocent typos, etc. even by people who know the correct spelling or grammar.

                  That's my story (alibi), and I'm sticking to it.
                  Lynn (Huntsville, AL)

                  Comment


                  • #24
                    Originally posted by chipmaker4130 View Post

                    Three things: Typing on a tiny, on-screen keypad and a lot don't know and don't care.
                    Yep, nailed it right there. FWIW I'm almost always on a desktop, with a full-sized keyboard here. I find those on-screen things to be a royal PITA. And I still read -- a lot. Few hundred pages per week, anyway. I was taught that the best way to learn how to write well, is to read well -- and lots of it.
                    25 miles north of Buffalo NY, USA

                    Comment


                    • #25
                      Originally posted by vectorwarbirds View Post
                      What is it with the spelling and grammar these days, do people just not know how to spell or do they just not care anymore?
                      Ironic complaint to make with a poorly structured run-on sentence

                      Comment


                      • #26
                        Originally posted by chipmaker4130 View Post

                        Three things: Typing on a tiny, on-screen keypad and a lot don't know and don't care.
                        You can also throw in the apps that convert voice to text.
                        “I know lots of people who are educated far beyond their intelligence”

                        Lewis Grizzard

                        Comment


                        • #27
                          Three things: Typing on a tiny, on-screen keypad and a lot don't know and don't care.
                          We need to have our Secretaries enter our social media posts. Secretaries.....now those were the good old days lol. I mostly know and mostly care, but am just about incapable of proof reading my own stuff. So I make a lot of typo, miss words, etc.
                          in Toronto Ontario - where are you?

                          Comment


                          • #28
                            Originally posted by Mcgyver View Post

                            We need to have our Secretaries enter our social media posts. Secretaries.....now those were the good old days lol. I mostly know and mostly care, but am just about incapable of proof reading my own stuff. So I make a lot of typo, miss words, etc.
                            Mcgyver, you're not alone. Proof-reading your own writing is a waste of time—the errors you commit invariably remain unnoticed the second time around.
                            I write and edit a lot. I have an eagle eye for other writers' errors, but am completely blind to my own.

                            Comment


                            • #29
                              Originally posted by epicfail48 View Post

                              Ironic complaint to make with a poorly structured run-on sentence
                              You forgot your period...

                              Comment


                              • #30
                                Originally posted by vectorwarbirds View Post

                                You forgot your period...
                                Or i just wasnt done speaking and wanted to leave you in

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X