Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

More quality tools from our hard working friends in Pakistan!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Tundra Twin Track View Post

Good for her BF,not downplaying or bashing the kids from urban background,but a lot of rural kids see and experience a pretty vast assortment of tasks some at a very young age.I’m sure the urban kids have more street smarts and other things,just different depending on the environment they grew up in.
    When I was teaching the HVAC Program, I loved to see farm kids come in. I was raised on a small farm and I knew what they had learned. They were the best students and when done they got the better jobs and always excelled. Modern kids today, its video games, computer play and sleeping in, usually in mommies basement!
    Retired - Journeyman Refrigeration Pipefitter - Master Electrician

Comment

• Originally posted by wmgeorge View Post

When I was teaching the HVAC Program, I loved to see farm kids come in. I was raised on a small farm and I knew what they had learned. They were the best students and when done they got the better jobs and always excelled. Modern kids today, its video games, computer play and sleeping in, usually in mommies basement!
      Yes they learn responsibility very early on in life. Our daughter has had her own business since she was 10 years old. Actually two. A pony business and a forest business. She has enough money in the bank that she could easily buy a home outright. Now I did give her a boost so she didn't start with nothing but she actually paid every penny back that was invested by me. She has had employees since she was 10. She manages a section of forest completely on her own. She has been able to whip up a spreadsheet since she was 11. She charts everything to do with the maintenance of all the equipment used in both businesses. I had hoped she would be more entrepreneurial but she opted for a more sedate life. But she is happy and that is what counts.

How to become a millionaire: Start out with 10 million and take up machining as a hobby!

Comment

• Originally posted by NiftyNev View Post

Where's the cushion from?
        Old azzed couch. We bought from lazy boy 20 years ago. Does it show? My bust JR

Comment

• Originally posted by A.K. Boomer View Post

Golly, throw me under the bus thanks JR

take any of JR's wrenches or breaker bars and try that and they will never get past 30 or 45 degree's without snapping - I know this because iv been in the biz for about 4.5 decades and have had to bend and make my own custom wrenches many times - and even the dirt cheap ones will not do it without heat, you have to heat them red and bend, if you don't you will simply break the wrench --- when I say dirt cheap i mean HF pittsburgh but they are still heat treated chrome vanadium....
          I thought you guys would have liked I rescued some 35 year old wrenches.

They wont snap, I guarantee it. They will bend. Hell, Ill put it in my 50ton press. She wont snap though.

Dont know where you got that from but it does not apply to these sticks. They are 30-40 year old Sears steel. It used to be a thing. JR

Comment

• Originally posted by JRouche View Post

I thought you guys would have liked I rescued some 35 year old wrenches.

They wont snap, I guarantee it. They will bend. Hell, Ill put it in my 50ton press. She wont snap though.

Dont know where you got that from but it does not apply to these sticks. They are 30-40 year old Sears steel. It used to be a thing. JR
            How many old craftsman wrenches have you "modified" over the years?

Iv always had to heat them red to get them to bend at an immediate angle, we also have to keep in mind the physics of bending, those wrench/bars in the OP vid are close to 3/4" due to the fact that they are smaller half inch drive on the ends and they are being bent "on a dime"

so for comparison purposes yeah try bending the breaker bar at an abrupt angle seeing as though it's considered a "drive wrench" and close to the same size... you might want to wear some safety goggle's and get 911 on speed dial....

That's what my original statement was all about --- it's the size of the material being bent on a dime,

there is a huge difference in comparison to very flat wrenches, they do not go through nowhere near the tensile and compressional forces,

You can take ultra hardened feeler gauge material and bend it on dime without it breaking due to it being so thin it's not up against barely any compressional/tensile variation loading...

There are guys bending ultra long style very thin wrenches on U-boob with their bare hands --- some snap some don't, but it's not the same comparison - the wrenches are indeed way harder than the tool in the OP vid, they are just ultra thin and do not go through the same compressional/tensile loading,

A more accurate demonstration would be to bend same wrench width wise at an abrupt angle to 90 degree's - again not going to happen without breaking because now your tensile and compressional loading is off the charts and catching up to the comparison of tool in the OP that bent like jello....

One more honorable mention in the world of physics and metallurgy --- do all bending in the time frame of a millisecond...
            Last edited by A.K. Boomer; 01-07-2022, 11:07 AM.

Comment

.................. those wrench/bars in the OP vid are close to 3/4" due to the fact that they are smaller half inch drive on the ends and they are being bent "on a dime"

You keep saying that, but it does not look true.

How many young kids 8 or 10 yo do you know who can fit a half dozen 3/4" wrenches in their hand? Yet the video clearly shows that being done, more than once. Nah, not more that a 3/8" drive, and if you look close, the rounded corners are the same as the "handle" diameter.... so about 7/16" for the handle.

The 3/4" drive ones are longer, you can see them in the repair videos, 600 mm to a metre long.

You can see ones just like the kids are making in those repair videos too. A lot shorter, they are, and they are not hanging on them.

BTW, those guys do use both ends. The socket on the short end to snug up, the socket on the long end to spin down the nut or "bolt".

4357 2773 5150 9120 9135 8645 1007 1190 2133 9120 5942

Keep eye on ball.
              Hashim Khan

Everything not impossible is compulsory

"There's no pleasing these serpents"......Lewis Carroll

Comment

• Originally posted by J Tiers View Post

You keep saying that, but it does not look true.

How many young kids 8 or 10 yo do you know who can fit a half dozen 3/4" wrenches in their hand? Yet the video clearly shows that being done, more than once. Nah, not more that a 3/8" drive, and if you look close, the rounded corners are the same as the "handle" diameter.... so about 7/16" for the handle.

The 3/4" drive ones are longer, you can see them in the repair videos, 600 mm to a metre long.

You can see ones just like the kids are making in those repair videos too. A lot shorter, they are, and they are not hanging on them.

BTW, those guys do use both ends. The socket on the short end to snug up, the socket on the long end to spin down the nut or "bolt".
                You might be right, it's hard to judge, I went back and looked at the vid and it looks almost as if there's an intermediate size between the two (which we know that's not the case) so I went out to the garage and got a 3/8" and a 1/2" extension --- but the 3/8"looks way to small in my hand, I could grab a dozen at a time, and in fact did --- I actually only had 10 so added two 1/2" and got a whole dozen,

I do wear a large to X-large glove size depending... so these people may have really small hands? lol I don't know because when i see the wrenches in their hands they do not look like 3/8" but have to admit a little shy of what i would think 1/2" would look like also....

But even if they are it's still very close to 1/2" shank size and although that does work in the favor of bending it's still allot of compressional/tensile loading...

I know any of my "Quality" 3/8" drive extensions would snap if put through that same process and with that much of an abrupt bend...

Comment

those wrench/bars in the OP vid ..
                  Hahaaa! This part of the conversation is my fault. I did not see the video and really just dont watch yertube vid.

My bust again. JR

Comment

• I have a problem with this Post. "More quality tools from our hard working friends in Pakistan!
                    "

It is offensive to me . Why? You mistakenly used the incorrect tearms, termonolgy. Not your fault.

I dont like to see or hear of any person hurting another. It is just my nature, I cant help it. JR JR

Comment

• Originally posted by plunger View Post
                      Love the guy with the pink gloves. Sad to see children do this. The dude tightening the chuck on the broach operation must have a strong back. the machine is at the perfect heightto force him to buckle over all day long. How do they even find a market for this soft crap.
                      Oddly enough the rest of the world that isn't us has a need for this kind of thing. Kinda like the tool kit on your motorcycle. It's crap until you find yourself broke down by the side of some rural road.

Comment

• Originally posted by Rustybolt View Post

Oddly enough the rest of the world that isn't us has a need for this kind of thing. Kinda like the tool kit on your motorcycle. It's crap until you find yourself broke down by the side of some rural road.

Interesting you should mention that. I have a friend that spent 18 months in India with a portion of that time riding a diesel powered Royal Enfield motorcycle to Nepal. I sent him this video and he told me he saw those L wrenches with sockets sets all over the place. Told me they could take apart an entire motorcycle and put it back together with them and he never saw one bend or broken. So apparently they work fine for their proposed purpose by people smart enough to use them correctly.

Comment

• This just has to be seen.... if you are familiar with electrical or electronics you will appreciate it for sure.......

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cpaWCedoptA

A real case of when yah gotta, yah gotta.

Keep eye on ball.
                          Hashim Khan

Comment

• Now I know your just stirring the pot JT, thing would be half the size if they discovered "varnish insulation" for the transformer wiring,,, and nice "operator switchboard" effect,,, yeah those external wires are going to be lifetime for sure...

but only due to the fact that they provided some "kindling" with it to be able to keep warm in the colder months.... so one season otta due...

capped it all off with a dead short test at the end, not to do anything with testing the amp meters accuracy --- nope - just that it's "magically connected" then call it good... hopefully shipped without the POS still being on fire and burning down the truck with the "melded crank" or putting more demands on the "soft wrench" stowed away under the goat excrement - due to one of the tires popping from the heat and needing a quick change with the revamped roman chariot wheel....

Comment

Now I know your just stirring the pot JT, thing would be half the size if they discovered "varnish insulation" for the transformer wiring,,, and nice "operator switchboard" effect,,, yeah those external wires are going to be lifetime for sure...

but only due to the fact that they provided some "kindling" with it to be able to keep warm in the colder months.... so one season otta due...

capped it all off with a dead short test at the end, not to do anything with testing the amp meters accuracy --- nope - just that it's "magically connected" then call it good... hopefully shipped without the POS still being on fire and burning down the truck with the "melded crank" or putting more demands on the "soft wrench" stowed away under the goat excrement - due to one of the tires popping from the heat and needing a quick change with the revamped roman chariot wheel....
                              Not stirring the pot.

I actually was impressed with the effort put into making the thing. They do pretty much all that they reasonably could, except the case.

NOT impressed with the design...... although some of it may be explained by the half-wave rectifier that it appears they use..... DC on the transformer windings is generally considered bad, and it makes the powerco unhappy as well. But that transformer may be less affected by it than some.... it does not seem very efficient, but that may also make it less likely to saturate with DC. And it also may help make a constant current for charging. Whether that is by accident or design, I could not be telling you.

There does seem to be a part of the core laminations missing on one side at the top, which could have an effect like that. Might be just camera angle, though.

As for the varnish, you must have missed the part where the kid carried the windings up to the "loft" and dunked them in the varnish tank.

The "kindling"...... at least some of them seem to have angle iron clamps.... the one at the end, that had just one meter, not the two meters the others had, was using angle iron.
                              Last edited by J Tiers; 01-08-2022, 11:27 PM.

Keep eye on ball.
                              Hashim Khan

Comment

• Originally posted by J Tiers View Post

As for the varnish, you must have missed the part where the kid carried the windings up to the "loft" and dunked them in the varnish tank.
                                Im listening because you know electrical stuff far better than me --- see how that works???

anyways --- what was the white sheathing on the transformer wires being wound BEFORE dunking the whole glob into the varnish - which i did not miss,,,

that's what I was talking about - that's thick stuff and all adds up to more space/less efficiency,

All the transformer wires iv seen are VARNISHED FIRST and then just wrapped that way like motor windings or anything else... it protects them from touching each other - some are "double dunked" meaning the word we so frequently have seen advertised as "double insulated" ...

Comment

Working...
                                X