Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

More quality tools from our hard working friends in Pakistan!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A.K. Boomer
    replied
    Originally posted by vectorwarbirds View Post

The US is not only becoming more obese its becoming stupider as well. We are checking all the boxes for decline of empire I am sorry to say.
    It's so very true - along with most of the globe, But I believe it's far bigger than any of that, I think good ole Ma nature is going to be handing all of us our asses very soon in so many ways the proverbial "dog chasing it's tail" phrase will actually look productive in comparison,,,

Heck - really - that's already happening right now but it will be increasing ten fold in short order, and then one hundred and so on,,, we need to choke on it - we've earned it, we got about as much foresight as a lemming... what a dumb ass species....

Leave a comment:

• J Tiers
    replied
    Originally posted by wierdscience View Post
    ....................... The end came with the passage of the "large sucking sound from the south".
    So you think...... but actually not.

The end came with the huge sucking sound from china. It sucked the life out south of the border as much or more than it did here. And in europe also. Thanks to Walmart.

Leave a comment:

• vectorwarbirds
    replied
    Originally posted by wierdscience View Post

Notice the graphic Warbirds posted in post #106. It corresponds nicely with the decline in manufacturing. In my teens, every county had a multitude of small farms, but every little town had several small manufacturing plants. Lots of jobs for all education and age levels and many that required physical work. The end came with the passage of the "large sucking sound from the south".
    The US is not only becoming more obese its becoming stupider as well. We are checking all the boxes for decline of empire I am sorry to say.

Leave a comment:

• wierdscience
    replied
    Originally posted by J Tiers View Post

Down where "Weird" lives, it's about half the population. And the problem exists everywhere that there is not a famine, not just in the US. But it's usually expressed as an exclusively US problem.

Most food is "designed" to make people fat these days. Just don't eat (and drink) that stuff, because it WILL make you fat (and likely diabetic also).

But it's not education that makes people fat.... many of the fattest are the least educated. Could be a reason for that.
    Notice the graphic Warbirds posted in post #106. It corresponds nicely with the decline in manufacturing. In my teens, every county had a multitude of small farms, but every little town had several small manufacturing plants. Lots of jobs for all education and age levels and many that required physical work. The end came with the passage of the "large sucking sound from the south".

Leave a comment:

• J Tiers
    replied
    Originally posted by A.K. Boomer View Post

The Mom and Pop's stores also sold a better "food type" --- which came from Mom and Pop's farms... and hard work getting it to the store - and selling it too...
    Not most of them. Not for longer than I have been around and noticing. Only maybe for fresh produce in season. Canned etc stuff was the same all over.

Butcher's department? Well, better cuts, but cattle fed the same.

Mom & Pop stores were not to be mistaken for "Whole Wallet" (Whole foods). Only cranks like my Grandma were into organic farming back then. Her stuff tasted MUCH better than store-boughten.

Leave a comment:

• Tundra Twin Track
    replied
    Originally posted by David Powell View Post
    When things were" normal" I used to attend steam shows and similar events in all sorts of places in Ontario. I noticed that" Farm Children" of all sorts of ages were more Inquisitive about my models than " city Children", that they were generally more mechanically minded, and had much more respect , for people and property.
    Their questions were more searching, and their ability to grasp concepts of equipment much greater,
    When I got questions such as" Why does Dad use a diesel tractor rather than a steam engine I had to answer quickly, correctly and in language children could follow.
    Assuming that is the result of their being" Child Labour" for careful and loving parents is not too great a step.
    I am fully in favour of using child labour appropriately. My children are now grown and have children of their own, they all willingly help when necessary.
    Regards David Powell

A lot of Companies would hire Farm or Rural Kids just for the fact they’ve been exposed to broader tasks that Urban Kids had no connection with growing up.

Leave a comment:

• A.K. Boomer
    replied
    The mom and pop stores sold the same bad stuff as the others back then. I know, I was in them.

It's the food type, not the food store.
    The Mom and Pop's stores also sold a better "food type" --- which came from Mom and Pop's farms... and hard work getting it to the store - and selling it too...

Leave a comment:

• A.K. Boomer
    replied
    Funny related story --- back when I was young one of the job opportunities to gain independence was having a paper route, in fact I think most of my brothers did and so did I, I bought my first car with paper route money,,, that and washing dishes at a chinese restaurant for $1.40 an hour (that's not a misprint)
    My sister ended up marrying our paper boy lol there was paper boys everywhere...

It was hard work, you pedaled your ass off in rain sleet or snow, this was in michigan too and the smelly mitten as we used to call it can get bone chilling cold in the winter months,,,

Well I got an early lesson with the paper route on what it's like to become a "slacker" I was a great paper boy - never missed a beat - tip money especially from the old ladies who seen me pedaling around in the winter months - some inviting me in for a hot coco break,
    but one day I looked outside and it was so freaking nasty and I was just not in the mood, I took the whole bundle of macomb daily's and tossed them into the creek behind our house, still bailed up and everything,,, they just sat their with ice growing around them,,,

the next day it was work as usual or so I thought --- till I got wrapped up in having to explain to half the people why they didn't get their paper --- I made up a fib and just ran with it, the route took me about an extra hour or so, the tip money dried up - no more hot coco either,,, took me weeks to recover even months with some and a few customers never fully came back around,,,

it was a priceless lesson --- and the thing I did not know is my Dad knew what happened and did not say a word, he was a wise man, he just let things work themselves out and watched it all unfold ---- then when it gradually ironed out for me he said, "I seen you dumped your papers in the creek awhile back" and I said "yeah Dad the weather was terrible" and then he just said "ill bet you'll never do that again" "No Dad I won't"

Leave a comment:

• J Tiers
    replied
    The mom and pop stores sold the same bad stuff as the others back then. I know, I was in them.

It's the food type, not the food store.

Leave a comment:

• A.K. Boomer
    replied

Down where "Weird" lives, it's about half the population. And the problem exists everywhere that there is not a famine, not just in the US. But it's usually expressed as an exclusively US problem.

Most food is "designed" to make people fat these days. Just don't eat (and drink) that stuff, because it WILL make you fat (and likely diabetic also).

But it's not education that makes people fat.... many of the fattest are the least educated. Could be a reason for that.
    Yes all kinds of reasons and some of it is due to what we call "progress" no more Mom and Pops stores - all sold down the river for the major chains,,, kids used to grow up helping run them with their parents or helping to run the farm - now little farms are hard to come by, just mega industrial places that hire out to immigration...

I like what Fasttrack has to say about all this --- he's a great deal younger than us and has been part of the process were talking about that is lost,,, you can tell he's smart as a whip and has a strong work ethic... sad to say he's one rare bird anymore.... sure their are still allot of brilliant minds, but most of those do not know how to work with their hands --- they want to do everything with a screen...

Leave a comment:

• J Tiers
    replied
    Originally posted by A.K. Boomer View Post

It does not matter to you because your state is far worse --- and yeah 1 out of 5 is horrible --- but 1 out of 3 is a nightmare...

I don't mind parking way out in left field due to there being rows and rows of handi-cap parking spaces now that are right next to store entrances, I like to walk some anyways, but it's the traffic jams with the electric carts and also just trying to "get around" people who are blocking the isles and don't even realize it because they really do not know where their body starts and ends,,, those are the "blessed" because they can still for the most part "waddle" on their own,,,

I think it's horrible and do agree with weird in this respect , it starts in childhood, but what's really the eye opener is when I go out of state and have to go in someplace and im like OMFG it's far worse!!!

So you use the wrong word --- I would not actually call it "excitement" where I live --- just a lesser level of disgust in comparison to where you have to hang out...

Leave a comment:

• A.K. Boomer
    replied
    There are plenty of 350 and 400 lb people waddling around most places. Lots of "Bubbas" and "Bubbettes". I see them.

But don't get too excited about being in a "better" state.... the best I see on that map looks like about 1 out of 5 people in the obese category (20%).

It does not matter to you because your state is far worse --- and yeah 1 out of 5 is horrible --- but 1 out of 3 is a nightmare...

I don't mind parking way out in left field due to there being rows and rows of handi-cap parking spaces now that are right next to store entrances, I like to walk some anyways, but it's the traffic jams with the electric carts and also just trying to "get around" people who are blocking the isles and don't even realize it because they really do not know where their body starts and ends,,, those are the "blessed" because they can still for the most part "waddle" on their own,,,

I think it's horrible and do agree with weird in this respect , it starts in childhood, but what's really the eye opener is when I go out of state and have to go in someplace and im like OMFG it's far worse!!!

So you use the wrong word --- I would not actually call it "excitement" where I live --- just a lesser level of disgust in comparison to where you have to hang out...

Leave a comment:

• J Tiers
    replied
    There is a big difference between no education, and an expensive, debt-ridden education which does not help you pay off the debt. The idea that there may be a middle ground instead of extremes seems to be lost.

The remedy for expensive education is not NO education.

Originally posted by Fasttrack View Post

Maybe. But I know a guy not too far from you who never learned to read or write. He signs his name with an X and can't read street signs (except to recognize signs by shape). Despite that, he owns an earth moving business that grosses millions every year. ..........................
    And the guy who owns the biggest steel company in India is a Dalit ("untouchable", below the bottom of Indian social order).

That's two.

How about the other billions of people who are NOT so lucky?

Sorry, but your example is just not enough to change anything..... lack of education in the basics is not a "yes, but". For those who are not a "one in ten million", it's a condemnation to remain poor (and exploited, since someone referenced that).

It's really expensive to be poor, and there is a lot of money to be made from the poor, actually. Those who make that money always oppose education and betterment for the poor.

Leave a comment:

• wierdscience
    replied
    Originally posted by Fasttrack View Post
    Regarding child labor? Well I hear what Weirdscience is saying. I'm probably biased because I basically grew up working on my BIL's farm but I would suggest there is a big difference between teaching children and exploiting them. Child labor on a farm is just as much an education as sitting in a classroom - probably more so. I've been very successful in my chosen career and I attribute that success to the lessons I learned doing actual, productive work on the farm, not my degrees. The degrees got me in the door, but my real education on the farm is what made me successful. That said, my BIL cared about my safety and my future, same as he does now with his children. Very different than the kind of exploitation that was common here 200 years ago and is still common in other parts of the world.
    I probably should clarify. I don't condone abuse by any means, but I also see letting kids sit around and be idle as a form of abuse itself. I see too many young people that have zero work experience and even less work ethic entering the labor force. They never did anything at home, never helped dad work on the car, mow the grass or even wash dishes etc, etc.

The kids in the video I don't think were being abused or exploited, too many smiles and the younger kids weren't running machinery that I saw. Plus we are assuming they aren't related to the owner. Sure the kid on the plating setup needs better fitting gloves and a word to keep the water on the outside. The other question is if they weren't working what else would they be doing? Probably getting into or causing trouble, idle youngsters tend to do that.

Leave a comment:

• David Powell
    replied
    When things were" normal" I used to attend steam shows and similar events in all sorts of places in Ontario. I noticed that" Farm Children" of all sorts of ages were more Inquisitive about my models than " city Children", that they were generally more mechanically minded, and had much more respect , for people and property.
    Their questions were more searching, and their ability to grasp concepts of equipment much greater,
    When I got questions such as" Why does Dad use a diesel tractor rather than a steam engine I had to answer quickly, correctly and in language children could follow.
    Assuming that is the result of their being" Child Labour" for careful and loving parents is not too great a step.
    I am fully in favour of using child labour appropriately. My children are now grown and have children of their own, they all willingly help when necessary.
    Regards David Powell

Leave a comment:

Working...
X