Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

More quality tools from our hard working friends in Pakistan!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fasttrack
    replied
    Originally posted by J Tiers View Post
    Working and never learning to read or do any basic arithmetic basically makes sure that the person will never get anywhere, and will always be poor. And that they will likely be bamboozled and cheated by employers and others.
    Maybe. But I know a guy not too far from you who never learned to read or write. He signs his name with an X and can't read street signs (except to recognize signs by shape). Despite that, he owns an earth moving business that grosses millions every year. He went to the Barrett Jackson auto auction a few years back and bought some fancy Shelby Cobra as a birthday present for himself and paid cash. He's got more money than he knows what to do with... Because he started working in elementary school when his dad died and has worked pretty much everyday of his life for 12-18 hours a day.

I agree that education is important and gives people a serious advantage over those less fortunate. But not having an education does not condemn one to "never get anywhere".

Regarding child labor? Well I hear what Weirdscience is saying. I'm probably biased because I basically grew up working on my BIL's farm but I would suggest there is a big difference between teaching children and exploiting them. Child labor on a farm is just as much an education as sitting in a classroom - probably more so. I've been very successful in my chosen career and I attribute that success to the lessons I learned doing actual, productive work on the farm, not my degrees. The degrees got me in the door, but my real education on the farm is what made me successful. That said, my BIL cared about my safety and my future, same as he does now with his children. Very different than the kind of exploitation that was common here 200 years ago and is still common in other parts of the world.
    Last edited by Fasttrack; 01-04-2022, 09:41 AM.

Leave a comment:

• wierdscience
    replied
    Originally posted by J Tiers View Post
    Worthless degrees? Yeah, there are a bunch. The demand that all sorts of folks "need a college degree" runs to that.

Mind, I know of PHDs who are driving cabs. And there is nothing particularly wrong with that so long as they are not in debt that will take them 200 years to pay off. There's nothing wrong with a college education, other than the debt issue.

The problem is not that there may be plumbers with a college degree, it is that someone might decide that it is required.... That's what has been going on..... some jobs require a "college degree" any degree, so long as it is from a real college or university..... even if the job does not really need it. (So far plumbing does not, but don't hold your breath) So the various colleges and universities obligingly provide degree programs pf every sort.

It's not that the degree really prepares anyone for that job, the way an engineering degree does, for instance. The HR department is really looking for "ability to learn" and a certain sort of basic ability to communicate, etc. Things High School used to provide, but no longer does. So HR figures if you made it through college, you probably have what is needed. It's just a "stamp of approval", that lets HR hire by rule, without much thinking, there is nothing more to it.
    We hear a lot about the "military industrial complex" but not very much about the "education industrial complex". Higher education has as a whole, become addicted to cheap money. Evidence of this is in what the student loan program has become. It's stuck in a feedback loop and the loop is shrinking leaving parents and students wondering what happened once the bills come rolling in.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/brandon...h=2c0736c47ecb

There are an ever increasing number of articles pointing to the same thing, but higher education seems to be ignoring the writing on the wall.

Leave a comment:

• Barrington
    replied
    A 'Philadelphia pattern' trowel has sharp corners and wil be easily damaged if used for cutting.

The traditional 'London pattern' trowel had one curved edge for cutting bricks, and the blade's other edge was straight for picking up mortar. Later both side became curved to avoid the need to make both right and left handed trowels.

Cheers

Leave a comment:

• David Powell
    replied
    Uncle Herbert was a building contractor. He employed an older bricklayer as needed.
    This fellow would break bricks with his big trowel,not using the point but the flat edge which attached to the handle.
    Did not make any fuss about it, and like most tradesmen made it seem an almost effortless and natural part of his work.
    Regards David Powell

Leave a comment:

• J Tiers
    replied
    There are plenty of 350 and 400 lb people waddling around most places. Lots of "Bubbas" and "Bubbettes". I see them.

But don't get too excited about being in a "better" state.... the best I see on that map looks like about 1 out of 5 people in the obese category (20%).

Originally posted by wierdscience View Post

Children NOT doing labor is a recent western developement and one I don't think we are better off for having. Who's in worse shape? The Paki kids, or the next generation of fat, lazy, gender studies grads we are churning out?
    Well, the working kids probably cannot read, and may never learn. That was pretty common in the US some time ago. Not unknown now. I know a guy a couple years older than me. He technically can read, he can do street signs, but not the newspaper. I think he left school in one of the early grades, worked on the farm.

Working and never learning to read or do any basic arithmetic basically makes sure that the person will never get anywhere, and will always be poor. And that they will likely be bamboozled and cheated by employers and others.

Not something that it is good to condemn someone to.

Worthless degrees? Yeah, there are a bunch. The demand that all sorts of folks "need a college degree" runs to that.

Mind, I know of PHDs who are driving cabs. And there is nothing particularly wrong with that so long as they are not in debt that will take them 200 years to pay off. There's nothing wrong with a college education, other than the debt issue.

The problem is not that there may be plumbers with a college degree, it is that someone might decide that it is required.... That's what has been going on..... some jobs require a "college degree" any degree, so long as it is from a real college or university..... even if the job does not really need it. (So far plumbing does not, but don't hold your breath) So the various colleges and universities obligingly provide degree programs pf every sort.

It's not that the degree really prepares anyone for that job, the way an engineering degree does, for instance. The HR department is really looking for "ability to learn" and a certain sort of basic ability to communicate, etc. Things High School used to provide, but no longer does. So HR figures if you made it through college, you probably have what is needed. It's just a "stamp of approval", that lets HR hire by rule, without much thinking, there is nothing more to it.
    Last edited by J Tiers; 01-04-2022, 01:55 AM.

Leave a comment:

• A.K. Boomer
    replied
    Chart looks correct as my state has been rated best for quite some time. best for healthy not phat...

Leave a comment:

• vectorwarbirds
    replied

Children NOT doing labor is a recent western developement and one I don't think we are better off for having. Who's in worse shape? The Paki kids, or the next generation of fat, lazy, gender studies grads we are churning out?

See below for clarification...

Click image for larger version

Name:	191218155510-obesity-rates-by-state.jpg
Views:	143
Size:	51.1 KB
ID:	1978640

Leave a comment:

• A.K. Boomer
    replied
    Originally posted by David Powell View Post
    I was used as unpaid child labour, but only on weekends, primarily Saturdays. Mainly so Dad and his friends could sneak off to the nearest pub and have a couple while the machinery they were supposed to be running kept, at least ,moving so a casual look by a passing supervisor or manager would not see anything out of place!
    I Could load a tipper truck with a diesel driven tracked excavator by I was about 10 and manage a 10 ton steam roller all by myself by 11.
    I enjoyed every minute, never caused any damage and learnt that a limited amount of freedom was earned by showing responsibility and developing the patience to strictly follow instructions.
    I can only hope that the success which has followed me through over 60 yrs is shared by those children working in the videos.
    Regards David Powell.
    Did you see anybody crack any bricks there? if so what did they use and how did they use it? thanks ahead of time...

Leave a comment:

• wierdscience
    replied
    Originally posted by Jim Stewart View Post

OK, I'll try to be civil.

Back to front:

1 - you, for some reason, identify "gender studies" as a real thing. Maybe or maybe not, but it clearly bothers you. Why? Please elaborate.

2- fat? Well, I'm fat - but at 79 years with a bad back, that happens. I don't see it among the youngsters I see locally, for example at the restaurant this morning. A few weeks ago I was with my niece-in-law (niece of my daughter-in-law). She's 19 and breathtakingly beautiful in a slim, elfin way.

3 - lazy? HAHAHAHAHA! I doubt you could keep up with her.

Perhaps you'd have a better opinion of the next generation if you actually met some of them.

-js
    In the last year-

#1 This reference reflects on the nearly useless degrees that parents and kids are being saddled with debt for. The ones where there are few if any jobs available .Know any 60-65 year old parents with their college educted kids moving back in? I do, those kids are the ones I am weeding through.

#2, Sure, most of us guys add on weight as we get older, happens when the metabolism slows a bit. But I am seeing too many youngsters with more fat than people 3 times their age, part of it is from being sedintary which is bad at any age. Congrats to the girl, I hope she does well, but she's becoming the exception to the rule.

#3 Then she should be doing shop work and running a business like I am.

Perhaps you should interview the same lot I did last month.
    One was three days late for the interview, got hired on anyway, but never came in to work.
    One had either a speech handicap or was stoned, I'm betting the latter, given the smell.
    Still another could not stay off of their phone until the ten minute interview was up.
    One that I hired, came in and worked two days, then disappeared for a week(no call in) I had to drop his pay for the two days he worked by his house(I gave the check to his mother)
    Another that I hired...I think...haven't seen him around the shop in a couple days, one of my other guys said he's been sleeping in our excavator cab, he's fired if I can find hm.

And I don't really fault the kids, it's not their fault mom and dad raised children instead of adults.

So who did I hire? The 41 y/o Army vet that started his interview by telling me he smokes weed on occasion, but never on the job. Good enough, so far he's working out.

Last edited by wierdscience; 01-03-2022, 11:11 PM.

Leave a comment:

• David Powell
    replied
    I was used as unpaid child labour, but only on weekends, primarily Saturdays. Mainly so Dad and his friends could sneak off to the nearest pub and have a couple while the machinery they were supposed to be running kept, at least ,moving so a casual look by a passing supervisor or manager would not see anything out of place!
    I Could load a tipper truck with a diesel driven tracked excavator by I was about 10 and manage a 10 ton steam roller all by myself by 11.
    I enjoyed every minute, never caused any damage and learnt that a limited amount of freedom was earned by showing responsibility and developing the patience to strictly follow instructions.
    I can only hope that the success which has followed me through over 60 yrs is shared by those children working in the videos.
    Regards David Powell.

Leave a comment:

• Jim Stewart
    replied

What's so hard to figureout? Have you had the pleasure of weeding through 17-22 year olds applying for a job recently? It's sad and scary all at once.
    OK, I'll try to be civil.

Back to front:

1 - you, for some reason, identify "gender studies" as a real thing. Maybe or maybe not, but it clearly bothers you. Why? Please elaborate.

2- fat? Well, I'm fat - but at 79 years with a bad back, that happens. I don't see it among the youngsters I see locally, for example at the restaurant this morning. A few weeks ago I was with my niece-in-law (niece of my daughter-in-law). She's 19 and breathtakingly beautiful in a slim, elfin way.

3 - lazy? HAHAHAHAHA! I doubt you could keep up with her.

Perhaps you'd have a better opinion of the next generation if you actually met some of them.

-js

Leave a comment:

• wierdscience
    replied
    Originally posted by Jim Stewart View Post

?????????????

Shaking my head. I can't think of a civil response to this strange comment.

-js
    What's so hard to figureout? Have you had the pleasure of weeding through 17-22 year olds applying for a job recently? It's sad and scary all at once.

Leave a comment:

• wierdscience
    replied
    Originally posted by The Artful Bodger View Post

I guess you have never seen the workers in a typical Pakistani brick works.
    It's like the conditions in some of the ship breaking yards explained by a yard worker. If you are profoundly poor and you have a chance to get out, do you take it, or stay profoundly poor?

Leave a comment:

• A.K. Boomer
    replied
    Originally posted by The Artful Bodger View Post

How do they go about breaking bricks do they use a trowel or a wrench?

Leave a comment:

• The Artful Bodger
    replied

Leave a comment:

Working...
X