LED Flashlight Recommendation?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Tungsten dipper View Post
    Any suggestions for a small powerful flashlight that has just an on and off switch? There are hundreds out there with multi function buttons; I have one that you have to push the on/off button 6 times just to shut it off. When you are in the middle of a project the last thing I want to worry about is my flashlight shut off! I don't need one that flashes, just on/off.
    Thanks.
    I wanted the same thing. So I got a regular old-school flashlight on eBay and an LED bulb for it. Price was right, and it's absolutely brilliant with a couple D cells. Mine was made by "EverReady" (a Union Carbide company). Those old style lights work just fine with LED bulbs.
    25 miles north of Buffalo NY, USA

Comment

I have one in the car, a two cell penlight conversion to led. It was a maglite. I went to use it the other day and no light came out. Well, almost no light- just a bit of blue. Then I realized- I had converted it to uv so I could check paper money.

I bought some from BangGood awhile back, Elfeland 1201. These take 3 aaa cells which I figured would die just when you needed them, but they have all had good life. They are the multi-mode ones, but you can leave them in one mode and just have on-off. The telescoping lens is a handy feature, I like it anyway. They come with a pocket clip which I never use, but it does prevent the thing from rolling. I splurged and bought a pack of Duracells- which so far none have leaked. I think that's the key to the led flashlight- batteries that don't leak, and deliver what they are supposed to.

I went through quite a few aa cells with one of my digital cameras. These were rechargeables, and none of them gave the lifetime that the original cells provided with the camera did. I took to including a pair of alkalines in my camera bag, and those were always good if I hadn't used them before, but only gave perhaps 20 minutes of use. Then I splurged again and bought a pack of lithium aa cells. There is always power when I fire up the camera, and there is no sign of leakage. I don't know if the triple A lithiums would be as good, but I would expect so. Perhaps these are what should go into an led flashlight.
      I seldom do anything within the scope of logical reason and calculated cost/benefit, etc- I'm following my passion-

Comment

When I become King
        AAA Batteries will be outlawed. Plus all rechargeable AAA and AA batteries.

I would rather have tools that I never use, than not have a tool I need.
        Oregon Coast

Comment

Just BOLO for the leakage in the MagLites. Fair warning. The batteries fit the cylinder pretty closely when they're new. Doesn't take much to stick them. Try googling "MagLite batteries stuck" or "MagLite corroded batteries" and it will quickly become evident that it's a very common problem.

Most of my problems have been with the newer batteries (Energizer and Duracell) made you-know-where. Whether it would have still happened were they still made here I couldn't say. I recently opened up a couple forgotten devices that have had batteries sitting in them for decades, fearing the worst. Imagine my surprise to find ZERO corrosion. "Use-by" date on the batteries of 2001. Made in USA. Six batteries from three separate devices. Both Energizer and Duracell were represented. I was pretty amazed. Conversely, I've had MANY more recent batteries leak and corrode terminals etc.

I actually switched over to the NiMH rechargeables some time ago for AAs, they work amazingly well, I have zero complaints. The AAAs are decent but pretty low in capacity. Eneloop or Panasonic are the ones I like best. Have tried Amazon house brand and they are decent too. If you try any, check to see that they say made in Japan and you will be good to go. Others may be too, but the Japanese ones will be for sure.
          Last edited by eKretz; 01-03-2022, 10:29 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by gellfex View Post
            My current favorite is Duracell headlamps, 3 pack from Costco for $16. Not only is the headlamp option handy, but these are smarter than average low end units and do a few tricks.

On the Maglite front, I have a drawer full of them destroyed by leaking batteries. Done with that. I don't need an EDC light, I have that on my Moto phone with a 'shake to light' feature that is real handy.
            The Costco headlamps are very good with exception to the extremely small head band,I can’t wear them but light seems good.

The best light I’ve used is the Suprabeam,it performs great with 2 setting 40&160 Lumens available at Lee Valley Tools $54 cdn. Click image for larger version

Name:	5FD4C85D-5B54-46EB-82E3-1EC01C112156.jpg
Views:	152
Size:	3.25 MB
ID:	1978629

Comment

Originally posted by Tundra Twin Track View Post
              The Costco headlamps are very good with exception to the extremely small head band,I can’t wear them but light seems good.
              I have a fairly big head and don't have a problem. But it seems easily fixed for anyone clever enough to be around here...

Comment

I have a fairly big head and don't have a problem. But it seems easily fixed for anyone clever enough to be around here...
                Yes for sure I will extend one and see how it works,maybe it’s the corners needing the extra length lol!🙂

Comment

Originally posted by Tundra Twin Track View Post

Yes for sure I will extend one and see how it works,maybe it’s the corners needing the extra length lol!🙂
                  I'd sacrifice an old pair of suspenders and use a stapler to attach the plastic ladder buckles.

Comment

I'd sacrifice an old pair of suspenders and use a stapler to attach the plastic ladder buckles.
                    I have a large collection of new Snowmobile Goggle Straps,so may try them.

Comment

There was a thread on reddit about buying good quality stuff and the OP had brought up spending $100 for a streamlight flashlight. A bunch of people countered with the Wurkkos FC11, 1300 lumens, charges on USB-C though a sealed port, magnetic end cap, uses 18650, infinite variable brightness, none of that annoying flash mode you have to cycle though and a belt clip. Its pretty darned nice for $30. Switch is on the side and has a led indicator under it to show charge status.

I did buy one off the recommendation and am very happy with it.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07ZZ2YFKD

Comment

I have two Coast brand that take two AA cells. Great lights. Have others but the Coast is preferred.
                        Nev.

Comment

I agree with you on the modes nonsense! I don't want a bunch of modes and I don't even want a lot of various power settings. Just give me a decent but not blinding amount of light and a freakin' simple to use on-off only function ! ! ! ! ! !

At this point I'm leaning more heavily on my pocket work light style of lights as per the example in the picture below. I've got one which looks pretty close to the picture and another which has separate LED's making up the bar. But both are just a nice simple push on-push off. And both throw out a nice amount of light. It won't peel paint or make you squint. But they light things up in dark holes and corners very nicely with a nice broad fan of light with no hot spots. Just what you want for a work light to look into holes and shadows.

I see them around by the checkouts at the tool and auto parts stores.

Both of mine have a pretty strong magnet in the pocket clip and one has a disc magnet in the end of the light. Plus the pocket clip rotates so it can act as an anti rolling stop and most of the time this permits me to lay it down with the light going where I need.

I totally hate the lights I have which need 4 clicks each time. I think I need to get a couple more of these and re-gift the 4 and more clickers to the glove box of the vehicles and to folks that can do the same.

I actually don't mind a couple of extra clicks when out camping. But in the shop with my mind on the job at hand? Give me the simple light every time.....

Click image for larger version

Name:	pocket work lights.jpg
Views:	142
Size:	111.2 KB
ID:	1978664

Chilliwack BC, Canada

Comment

I'm curious, how many of you are needing a light that's on for 1/2 hr or so for doing a task in a dark place, vs that 10-60 seconds to see what's going on somewhere? And if it's the latter, why aren't you using your phone's LED light? I use it all the time for those momentary needs, and it's always with me.

Comment

For me it's mostly the longer tasks I use a flashlight for. I use the phone light (and often camera) all the time for a quick look at something.

Comment

I'm curious, how many of you are needing a light that's on for 1/2 hr or so for doing a task in a dark place, vs that 10-60 seconds to see what's going on somewhere? And if it's the latter, why aren't you using your phone's LED light? I use it all the time for those momentary needs, and it's always with me.
                                Every time you pull your cell out, it's another opportunity to scratch or crack the screen. I don't use the cell as a level either.....

Comment

Working...
                                X