round lathe tools

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• round lathe tools

Found these in my arsenal of lathe junk. Not sure I have anything to use for a holder. Or what I would use them for if I made something. I am just learning and with the internet ,you tube, and the forum I have learned a lot. So bear with me. I have an old lathe and it has what I believe you call a rocker tool post. Not sure how to hold these or what they are used for. Maybe someone will fill me in. Thank you.
    You may only view thumbnails in this gallery. This gallery has 2 photos.

Boring bars are typically round. But those do not appear to be boring bars.

Old jeweler's lathes, and some larger ones, such as Rivett, had a special holder with an off-center drilled cylinder to hold those. It could be clamped in any rotational position so was infinitely adjustable for height (in it's range). Tools had to be round so they could be set with the edge up with the holding cylinder in any position.

You can drill a properly sized hole in a longish piece of square steel, put a cut in one side, and use round tools with a block toolpost, or some lantern types, depending on the size of the tools.

You can see a round toolholder in the photos here. http://www.lathes.co.uk/rivettphoto/

http://www.lathes.co.uk/rivettphoto-2/

Last edited by J Tiers; 01-03-2022, 04:33 PM.
    4357 2773 5150 9120 9135 8645 1007 1190 2133 9120 5942

Keep eye on ball.
    Hashim Khan

Everything not impossible is compulsory

"There's no pleasing these serpents"......Lewis Carroll

Comment

Those can be used as bits in very simple boring bars. For example this boring bar with bits that go through the side of the bar. https://cdn11.bigcommerce.com/s-4s9l...337656.jpg?c=2

At the end of the project, there is a profound difference between spare parts and left over parts.

Comment

Throw that rocker toolpost away. They are rubbish. Yes, its easy to set the tool height but they are about as rigid as a wet banana.
        'It may not always be the best policy to do what is best technically, but those responsible for policy can never form a right judgement without knowledge of what is right technically' - 'Dutch' Kindelberger

Comment

Produce holders for round tools held in a lathe tool post, one may hold multiple tools in one block much like gang tooling. This one is unfinished in this photo.

Last edited by Bented; 01-03-2022, 07:54 PM.

Comment

I want to build me a tool post. But it is below 0 out there right now. I would burn a cord of wood and spend all day cutting wood and be to tired at the end of it to build the thing.

Comment

Someone probably made those. I have a few homemade ones that someone gave me a long time ago. They're made out of 3/8" dia. O1.

JL.......
              ​​

Comment

I've got 4 or 5 1/8" round HSS tools. I've used them in boring bars, single point engraving tools, groove tools, and sometimes just regular turning tools. And I've seen them held vertically in special turning holders.

Lots of uses for round HSS tool bits.
                If you think you understand what is going on, you haven't been paying attention.

Comment

These are 1/2 in. 7 or 8 inches long. Both have been ground as to have been used to cut something.Guess I will have to keep them till the day I say I can use one of them. Or maybe they will bring a pretty penny at the estate sale

Comment

Aloris and clones have toolholders for their standard toolpost that has a V cut in the bottom of the slot, just for holding round tools if they aren't too big.

Comment

One looks like it might have been shaped to be a D bit reamer before it got the rust issue. The other appears as it might have been ground to use as a boring bar.

With round bars like this you just need to angle them a couple of degrees so the cutting tip is just a few thou out from the side of the shank.

If they were smaller I'd say use them in some simple shop made boring bars Similar to the ones shown but with easy to make round holes instead of square. But if these are up around 1/2" diameter then they are too big for that. Which brings us back to just using them as shop made boring bars.

Oddly enough this came up a few days back and I did this quick sketch to aid with describing a suggestion I made to the other member. It might help you use these for yourself.

Chilliwack BC, Canada

Comment

Throw that rocker toolpost away. They are rubbish. Yes, its easy to set the tool height but they are about as rigid as a wet banana.
                        A while back, one of our magazines had an article for a vast improvement for using Armstrong style tool holders that made things quite rigid and minimized the need for adjustment when changing tools. It consisted of a cylinder with notches that the toolholder rested in. The thing went around the "lantern" and replaced the rocker components. You might need a couple of these things to accommodate different tool holders, but each cylinder had 2 sets of notches, so that helped. Unfortunately, I didin't save that issue, so can't tell you where to look.

Comment

Originally posted by jdunmyer View Post

A while back, one of our magazines had an article for a vast improvement for using Armstrong style tool holders that made things quite rigid and minimized the need for adjustment when changing tools. It consisted of a cylinder with notches that the toolholder rested in. The thing went around the "lantern" and replaced the rocker components. You might need a couple of these things to accommodate different tool holders, but each cylinder had 2 sets of notches, so that helped. Unfortunately, I didin't save that issue, so can't tell you where to look.
                          It was in Machinist's Workshop Oct-Nov 2016 "Getting the Most out of your Lantern Tool Post"

I bought the issue, but never bothered to make the rings since my lantern post works just fine as is.

Comment

The nice thing about the lantern post is the holders with built-in rake for HHS cutter blanks. But I rarely use mine. I also have several round factory made HSS boring bars, like 5/16 or 3/8 dia.

Comment

They can't compare to a proper quick change tool post, but depending on how many tools you need to use and how often you need to change them they may be more convenient than a so called "four way" tool post.
                              "A machinist's (WHAP!) best friend (WHAP! WHAP!) is his hammer. (WHAP!)" - Fred Tanner, foreman, Lunenburg Foundry and Engineering machine shop, circa 1979

Comment

Working...
                              X