No announcement yet.

round lathe tools

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Four way toolpost is far more rigid than a lantern toolpost.
    'It may not always be the best policy to do what is best technically, but those responsible for policy can never form a right judgement without knowledge of what is right technically' - 'Dutch' Kindelberger

Comment

This 4 position turret works reasonably well.

One must be careful when using long tools such as drills and boring bars that there is clearance when it indexes. Since beginning to use this lathe earlier this year I have so far hit the door and tailstock with long boring bars or drills.

Fortunately no harm is done as the turret has very little power when rotating, it merely generates an error and has to be re-homed.
      https://photos.smugmug.com/My-First-...rning-1280.mp4
      Last edited by Bented; 01-07-2022, 06:15 PM.

Comment

Throw the lantern post away? That's rather harsh!

Granted that there are better ways to do things now. But let's not forget that for MANY years in the history of lathe work that a lantern post and a good assortment of tool holders was the hot setup. And that a LOT of demanding and precise work was done with such tools.... By our fathers and grandfathers I'll grant you..... But good work nonetheless. And that a lot of good work can still be done with them. Perhaps not as quickly or conveniently. But there's no need to avoid some good HOME shop quality time due to the tool post.

Mickey, my own personal preference matches yours. I'd rather use a lantern post and assortment of holders than deal with the frequent changing and shimming of a four way. Granted I never set up the cutters with dedicated shims like easy use of a 4 way would suggest. But as someone walking up to a strange lathe if it doesn't have a QCTP I'd rather deal with holders and the rocker shoe than a fist full of shims.
        Chilliwack BC, Canada

Comment

But as someone walking up to a strange lathe if it doesn't have a QCTP I'd rather deal with holders and the rocker shoe than a fist full of shims.
          Yes, my point. I did not say "better" or "more rigid" I said "more convenient". I suppose if you had a dedicated set of shims for each tool you use, and keep them together... but how many actually do that?
          "A machinist's (WHAP!) best friend (WHAP! WHAP!) is his hammer. (WHAP!)" - Fred Tanner, foreman, Lunenburg Foundry and Engineering machine shop, circa 1979

Comment

Originally posted by BCRider View Post

Mickey, my own personal preference matches yours. I'd rather use a lantern post and assortment of holders than deal with the frequent changing and shimming of a four way. Granted I never set up the cutters with dedicated shims like easy use of a 4 way would suggest. But as someone walking up to a strange lathe if it doesn't have a QCTP I'd rather deal with holders and the rocker shoe than a fist full of shims.
            I have a 4 way, and have no shims whatever for it...nor does it need any. But it works fine.
            4357 2773 5150 9120 9135 8645 1007 1190 2133 9120 5942

Keep eye on ball.
            Hashim Khan

Everything not impossible is compulsory

"There's no pleasing these serpents"......Lewis Carroll

Comment

Working...
            X