No announcement yet.

OT: A special repair sequence just for folks who like to do everything right

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OT: A special repair sequence just for folks who like to do everything right

Here it is:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lqk_hGXyEy0

And one more for lagniappe

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GkKXq9Lx2gU
    Last edited by J Tiers; 01-05-2022, 02:31 AM.
    4357 2773 5150 9120 9135 8645 1007 1190 2133 9120 5942

Keep eye on ball.
    Hashim Khan

Everything not impossible is compulsory

"There's no pleasing these serpents"......Lewis Carroll

Another can of worms
    Helder Ferreira
    Setubal, Portugal

Comment

The frame repair looked to be well done. But it looked like there were more cracks in the flywheel that were not welded, and although the repair was nicely done, I have a feeling it might not last long. In the US, the labor to remove and replace the flywheel, and that for the welding and machining, would likely be much more than the cost of a new part, but in Pakistan, the situation is almost certainly reversed.
      http://pauleschoen.com/pix/PM08_P76_P54.png
      Paul , P S Technology, Inc. and MrTibbs
      USA Maryland 21030

Comment

They do what the have to do and do a pretty good job a lot of the time, with limited resources.
        Nev.

Comment

Those flywheel cracks are only covered up. That sort of repair is pointless. Much like this thread and this post.
          Last edited by Captain K; 01-05-2022, 07:49 AM.

Comment

File the flywheel repair under "you do what you have to do" they probably can't get a new one.

The frame repair is actually just how it's done, that damage is minor compared to some. These guys aren't in Pakistan, so it must be done right

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F5BngZJB-8U
            I just need one more tool,just one!

Comment

Again i just seen the first minute of the flywheel vid --- why are we continuing to bring stuff like this up?

Low RPM engines indeed but due to all the mass they can still pump a half a flywheel through the bell housing at redline and into the cab severing legs and killing people, Im sure these guys are not wrapping the trans with a kevlar blanket,,,

yeah they do what they have to do --- and it's wrong...

Welding a flywheel on a weedwacker is bad practice, as small as it is it's cranking the R's and could actually kill someone but most likely just maim them,,, flywheels are not to be messed with when it comes to "hillbilly repairs"

You can lighten "some" uncracked solid ones IF you know what your doing and know where to take the material off, but you should never try to glue them back together....

At a glance my best guess is it's also cast iron and not even steel, and if that's the case it's for sure a ticking time bomb... but even if not - still very bad practice...

Comment

Agree with AK, having seen what damage they do when they grenade. torque converters too. but life is cheaper in some places.
                san jose, ca. usa

Comment

Yep.

At least one thing we can agree on..... Nice to have one of those.....

Cracks basically pasted over and not even all of them. You'd think someone over there would be making "new" parts out of whatever scrap they can melt. Must not be enough call for them.

Keep eye on ball.
                  Hashim Khan

Comment

I love watching these videos. But the flywheel job to me is also interesting to watch but bad news. Maybe he desperately needed to get a truck full of goats back home from the market before they die of thirst and its cheaper to do a temporary fix than hire a truck to do the three hundred km trip home.
                    You never know.
                    But not much exciting activity is going on at the moment at homeshop machinest so i rate it the most interesting thread for the moment.

Comment

Originally posted by A.K. Boomer View Post
                      Again i just seen the first minute of the flywheel vid --- why are we continuing to bring stuff like this up?
                      It's called: Stirring the pot.
                      Some here seem to enjoy it as much as others seem to revel in the demise of America as our parents knew it.

Comment

ssI think most here know the brazing of a flywheel is not the best idea. But there are other things to learn here. He does a pretty good job of machining flats with an angle grinder. He doesnt love his lathe.
                        A question while I learn with my eyes. Would you guys machine the internal thread and then cross drill or would you drill first and then thread. I would have threaded first because I would think the interrupted cut would be problematic. What's best practice.?

Comment

Originally posted by plunger View Post
                          ssI think most here know the brazing of a flywheel is not the best idea. ?
                          Wow --- that's even worse than i thought --- yeah glad I bailed after the first minute. saved myself some time....

Comment

Originally posted by reggie_obe View Post

It's called: Stirring the pot.
                            Some here seem to enjoy it as much as others seem to revel in the demise of America as our parents knew it.
                            False....

Just trying to find one we could all agree on before dropping the suubject.

Keep eye on ball.
                            Hashim Khan

Comment

AKB I just watched a video of some skinny dudes making your connecting rods. They looked pretty good but you never know, be careful with them.
                              John b. SW Chicago burbs.

Comment

Working...
                              X