Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

James Webb Space Telescope

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • James Webb Space Telescope

    I have always had considerable enthusiasm for things space- satellites, probes, etc. The recent launch of the JWST had me watching the launch before I would normally be up and about, and eagerly awaiting the successful outcome of that. Now I'm happy to see that one of the more risky aspects has completed beautifully, the deployment of the multi-layer heat shield. Yay! I'll be following this mission for sure-
    I seldom do anything within the scope of logical reason and calculated cost/benefit, etc- I'm following my passion-

  • #2
    Everything space (I currently have a soft spot for spacex) has been really cool to watch over this last year. All of the falcon booster landing. Starlink - my parents now have internet that actually works compared to their dsl. Can't wait for the first orbital test flight of the super heavy and star ship.

    Comment


    • #3
      There was a video talking about the complexity of the JWST & it said that there were 344 single points of failure. I.e., any one failure of 344 events would kill the mission. For there to be a 90% probability of none of the 344 occurring, each of them would have to have probability of failure less than 3/10,000. I can see why all those guys are holding their breaths. All that time delay to launch was time well spent testing.

      Comment


      • #4
        Deployment of the secondary mirror apparently now complete as well-
        I seldom do anything within the scope of logical reason and calculated cost/benefit, etc- I'm following my passion-

        Comment


        • #5
          I stayed up until 5 AM (west coast) watching the coverage. (I'm a night owl anyway.) I think I was more excited for this launch than any since the Apollo days.

          Comment


          • #6
            I have lots of Northrop stock, so fingers crossed. Was a pretty amazing build. Before retiring, I worked on that bird for the last 10 years. One Space Park, M7.
            Nice to see its going very well !

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Fasturn View Post
              I have lots of Northrop stock, so fingers crossed. Was a pretty amazing build. Before retiring, I worked on that bird for the last 10 years. One Space Park, M7.
              Nice to see its going very well !
              I spent 30+ years working for TRW at the Space Park site - mainly in R2 and M2. When Northrop bought out TRW my stock became Northrop stock, much to my delight. With the good news about how the Webb deployment is going, the stock broke $400 a share today.

              Regards, Marv

              Home Shop Freeware - Tools for People Who Build Things
              http://www.myvirtualnetwork.com/mklotz

              Location: LA, CA, USA

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by mklotz View Post

                I spent 30+ years working for TRW at the Space Park site - mainly in R2 and M2. When Northrop bought out TRW my stock became Northrop stock, much to my delight. With the good news about how the Webb deployment is going, the stock broke $400 a share today.
                That's about a %570 gain since July 2002. I hope you have lots .

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Dan Dubeau View Post

                  That's about a %570 gain since July 2002. I hope you have lots .
                  Assuming you mean plus 5.7x or 6.7x total (i.e., plus 100% is 2x) the compound appreciation rate is almost 10%. If you mean 5.7x, the rate is 9%.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by Bob Engelhardt View Post

                    Assuming you mean plus 5.7x or 6.7x total (i.e., plus 100% is 2x) the compound appreciation rate is almost 10%. If you mean 5.7x, the rate is 9%.

                    I simply looked up when the merger was and highlighted the spread noting the difference in stock price. Am I missing something?

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by mklotz View Post

                      I spent 30+ years working for TRW at the Space Park site - mainly in R2 and M2. When Northrop bought out TRW my stock became Northrop stock, much to my delight. With the good news about how the Webb deployment is going, the stock broke $400 a share today.
                      Hi Marv-
                      I started at TRW in 95 when it was the best. 25 years for me, so lots of company stock with the matching. Did not know there was anyone on here from TRW/ NGC. Worked all the buildings you mentioned plus M3 and M4. i personally built the casing on the twin head cryocooler - JWST or J-West as we called it.

                      I get trashed alot on this site for working at a " Tin Pot Company" if they only knew LOL.. Thanks for the post and count your $ Money !!

                      - AJ

                      Click image for larger version

Name:	images (1).jpg
Views:	136
Size:	7.5 KB
ID:	1979314
                      Last edited by Fasturn; 01-07-2022, 03:10 PM.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by Dan Dubeau View Post

                        ...
                        I simply looked up when the merger was and highlighted the spread noting the difference in stock price. Am I missing something?
                        No, you're not. It's your source. Their saying "up 571%" is too easily confused. Strictly speaking it means 6.7x, but could be interpreted as 5.7x. They should just say 6.7x and be clear.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by darryl View Post
                          I have always had considerable enthusiasm for things space- satellites, probes, etc. The recent launch of the JWST had me watching the launch before I would normally be up and about, and eagerly awaiting the successful outcome of that. Now I'm happy to see that one of the more risky aspects has completed beautifully, the deployment of the multi-layer heat shield. Yay! I'll be following this mission for sure-
                          Yes Sir. I was on my feet, probly toes. That was a great lift. She went.. I think she has enough enitia to get her out of the suns grab. She has to go out beyond our help.

                          Oh, remember Hubble :} This is worse. No fixes for this scope. I hope it works..

                          Lets see. 186,000 years from the Big Bang? That is what they are looking for. The moments that are around the "big bang". Idiots..

                          I just hope it doesnt crash,

                          That thing kids will be exponential, if we are comparing the hubb. 10fold. JR JR

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            I am all for such projects. The only problem I see with this one is there is no way to service or repair it at this time. As I understand it the telescope will be in orbit around the sun or otherwise far from our current level of technology to visit it as was done several times with Hubble. I like being able to fix things.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              It will have a small elliptical orbit around L2, one of the Lagrange points about a million miles from earth. That's a point where it can set with minimal fuel use and relatively stationary compared to earth. Of course, like everything else, it's moving through space in several directions and at various velocities- with the earth around the sun, with the solar system relative to our local galaxy, with our galaxy relative to the universe, etc. But basically stationary with respect to the earth. My biggest concern is whether the data will be fudged if it picks up something that is deemed too dangerous for people to know.
                              I seldom do anything within the scope of logical reason and calculated cost/benefit, etc- I'm following my passion-

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X