Cabin Fever 2022

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cabin Fever 2022

Is anyone planning to attend? Between Covid and the airlines I have a feeling there are going to be a lot of people sitting this one out. One of our crew had their flight cancelled, so we are one person down but I still plan on attending. I might just be stubborn, but the more the obstacles pile up the more determined I am to make it.

Hope to see at least a few of you there.
    George
    Traverse City, MI

Get in a sealed metal tube. breath recirculated air and travel with a bunch of strangers with questionable health status?
    No thanks. Too many people I know work for companies where 20% or more of the workforce are out with COVID. No show is worth it.

Comment

Good afternoon George.
      Unfortunately, my buddy and I won’t be attending.
      I’m willing to drive down, but he’s in a different situation.

Too bad, because I had a new motor to show.

I’ll miss all the good folks.

Sid

Comment

Originally posted by sid pileski View Post
        Good afternoon George.
        Unfortunately, my buddy and I won’t be attending.
        I’m willing to drive down, but he’s in a different situation.

Too bad, because I had a new motor to show.

I’ll miss all the good folks.

Sid
        Hello Sid, was wondering if I would see you there. Maybe next year.
        George
        Traverse City, MI

Comment

Just for easy reference, the show will be Friday Jan 14 and Saturday Jan 15. I am still undecided, but probably will not attend. Still a big risk with Covid, and having lung cancer.

https://lebtown.com/2021/12/09/cabin...ter-jan-14-15/

https://www.cabinfeverauctions.com/

http://pauleschoen.com/pix/PM08_P76_P54.png
          Paul , P S Technology, Inc. and MrTibbs
          USA Maryland 21030

Comment

Hi George,

I've been to 22 out of 24 so far, but am almost certain that I won't be getting to add the 25th button to my collection. Darn shame, but 12 to 14 hours of driving round trip, three nights of hotel, and lots of people with unknown health and vaccination status in a packed mass of humanity has me in chicken mode. I'll perhaps order a casting set from one of the vendors I usually enjoy seeing at the show, and will miss seeing some folks, but it's just too much risk for my geezer self. Sorry to miss you this year, hopefully 2023 will be somewhat back to "normal". Not that normal is a term used often around HSMs :-)

Best to all, I hope those that do go have a great time and tell us all about it so us chickens can feel really disappointed in our lack of testicular fortitude :-)

Stan Stocker
            Gwynn's Island, Virginia

Comment

I live less than a hour away, but I'm giving it a pass this year. Stu

Comment

if I was close I'd go.had my shots.
                san jose, ca. usa

Comment

Thanks for posting the dates and info Paul. I had intended to do so but in my haste it got left out.

My haste is also the reason for the shortness of my post and rereading it this morning I see that I come across as a little flippant about the risks of traveling at this time. I do my best to keep safe and, in fact, the trip to Cabin Fever is using flight credits leftover from my dropping out of the Black Hills 2020 show. Rather than "lack of a testicular fortitude," I view staying home as a smart move and if a few things in my life were different I'd do the same without a second thought.

In my case, I recently had to take a few airline trips in the last two months and that has perhaps given me a little more confidence. I'm also at a point where I'm confident that my risk factor is very low, which wasn't the case all that long ago. All of this, of course, is a personal decision based on where you are at and what you've been through medically, so make the best and safest decision for yourself.

Though I post about the show every year in hopes of promoting it, my main reason for doing so this year was to gauge attendance. We are living the textbook the definition of uncertain times and I have no idea what the show will be like. I'm sure it will be down, but by how much is what I'm wondering. Thanks for all that replied and, again, I'm sorry if my OP sounded like attending the show was the manly man thing to do.
                  George
                  Traverse City, MI

Comment

I used to go every year. Haven't been there since they moved it to April, then they moved it from the Toyota arena. The April dates killed it for me back then. That was quite a few years ago. I do miss going.

Comment

I would pass on it. As of today there are 2200 cancelled flights that indeed tell what the status pf this Chinese pandemic is. And for it to sink in to me a lady I went to high school with and was my barber,died from covid two days ago. She was healthy as a horse four weeks ago, vaxed and boostered.

Nope, it's not worth going to some show. Stay home.

Comment

Hi George,

I sure didn't take your post as flippant at all. Sorry if I came across as having some issue with you or anyone anyone, going or not. Just poking a bit of fun at my own increasing caution these days, not at other folks decisions. Heck, I still miss the CNC workshop and would surely LIKE to make this show.

Hope to see you there in 2022!

Dolt that I am, I intended to say 2023... (edited 1/9/2022)
                        Cheers,
                        Stan
                        Last edited by Stan Stocker; 01-09-2022, 11:12 AM.

Comment

I had fully planned on coming but after 5 days and counting, of no power, I cancelled my hotel room and I won’t be there.
                          Sole proprietor of Acme Buggy Whips Ltd.
                          Specialty products for beating dead horses.

Comment

I'm planning on driving down with a couple of friends. All three of us are in our 70s or 80s and vaccinated. The covid infection fatality rate for vaccinated people is probably similar to flu (i.e., substantially less than 1%, down from ~1.5% earlier), and the new omicron variant, while very infectious, appears to be much less deadly.

Covid is here to stay, so anyone who is vaccinated and still refusing to attend events like Cabin Fever has either not yet acknowledged reality or has committed to a permanent change in behavior.

FWIW, I've been on nearly a dozen airline flights in the last two months, including coast to coast within the past week, and all without incident. Reports show that the ventilation on airlines is extremely efficient, and there is very little chance of virus transmission. Even the occasional fart by a rude passenger seems to disappear almost immediately. And of course everyone has a mask on.

Kim

Comment

Hi Guys,

This is my first post on the site although I am a long time lurker and long time subscriber to the magazine. I also have been active on PM for a several years under the same user name. I am a couple of hours from Cabin Fever and will be driving up Thursday night. Some of the guys in my local club (CAMS) have been in contact with the people that run the show. It sounds like it will be a significantly smaller affair than previous years.

One reason I am going is just to support the show's sponsors to help ensure Cabin Fever continues on in future years. I am sure last year was a financial disaster for them and this year will fall far short of what they need to earn for their efforts.

If you are VAXed and wear an N95 mask I think you will be very safe. I have been out and working during the entire pandemic, attended multiple large events, and taken several flights. I just wear a mask and use common sense about not getting too close face to face with others. Even without a mask if you stay 6 feet away from people while talking with them it is very unlikely you can catch it. It does not spread through the air but through tiny droplets of spittle that fall the the floor in a short distance and quickly become inert.

Wearing a mask and staying away from people is not the way I would prefer to run my life but it has kept me from getting sick while I have a reasonable approximation of a normal life. I hope a good number of you come and the show is a success for all attendees and the sponsor.

Comment

Working...
                              X