Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How much time do you guys actually spend in your Home Shops?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How much time do you guys actually spend in your Home Shops?

I sometimes wonder why I even bother having a shop and furnishing it with equipment. It seems like with all life's other issues - wife, kids, family, work, endless fix-ups around the house, stupid weed-eaters that never work right, vehicle maintenance that's over-due, other hobbies, etc. It seems time to actually work in the shop and make things is very sparse.

Don't get me wrong, I'm appreciative for having a nice shop and all, but it sure seems that it really doesn't get much use. I keep thinking life will slow down some day and I can actually do some projects... but I'm beginning to think "some day" will never come.

Yeah, I know, I need to quit my whinning... thanks for listening.

and no, you can't have my shop.

Wayne

It varies like the tide, though not as regular. I've had so much crap going on up till recently that my Rock Buggy sat for over a year before I got it fixed up and on the trail again. For the year previous to that, I spent lots of hours out there. Maybe more this week, less next, and out of town the next. As I said, it varies for me, with periodic LONG dry spells...
    Russ
    Master Floor Sweeper

Comment

Originally posted by Wayne02
      and no, you can't have my shop.
      Wayne
      Darn I thought we might get to scrounge for things that we NEED.

Just wait until you retire, it gets better, SWMBO thinks that your time is hers (ha). I retired 7 years ago and haven't had a decient day off since, threatening to get a job just to have a day off.

We now take extended trips and then after we are back home there is all kinds of catch up to do. Then it is time for the next trip. Kinda wish that I knew someone that I would dare rent the shop to while I'm gone. Just don't know anyone that I would trust that much.

When I didn't have any money for a shop budget, I had a lot of time, now I have a shop budget and no time.

Ross
      GUNS Don't kill people
      Drivers using cell phones do.

Comment

Right now, for me, practically none. I started my home shop with a Grizzley mill/drill for my senior project with Engineering about 7 years ago. I found an opportunity to buy a BP, SB Heavy 10 and KO Lee toolroom grinder from a widow and did so (don't worry, SHE didn't get cheated. . . ).

Since then, (3 or so years) if I get 100 hours out there doing machine shop stuff a year, I'd be surprized. However, I spend time out there. Doing woodwork for the house, general maintanence etc that none of my machines are needed for.

If I had it to do all over again, I'd still have the mill/drill (gave it to a friend) and maybe a heavy 10. But I wouldn't have the BP or the grinder.

The only good side to the shop right now is that at some point, somebody is going to get a good deal on equpment that has been well maintained and kept lubed under covers in a somewhat climate controlled environment. For me, right now, it was a very bad investment.

Sandy.

Comment

Last month I did about 80 hours in my home shop, but that's about twice my average, I think. I put up some of those recent projects on my machining page:

http://www.frets.com/FRETSPages/Machining/index.html

I guess I have it easy these days. My spouse is a potter and she works most every day, often past dinnertime at her studio three miles away. So I can usually come home from work and jump onto a project out in the shop.

Being a potter, she gets even messier than I do, so I never hear a word about "cleaning up." When I get a new tool, she asks "What is that for?" Unlike my first mistake (er, "wife") she doesn't have anything behind that question other than simple curiosity.

Now, it's a fifty-fifty deal, so she never hears me complain about how she spends money. And, anytime she wants me to do a little metalworking or other project for her, it gets first priority - I just drop what I'm doing for a while.

Her ex was one of those who went "out" a lot, so when I'm in my shop, she never feels neglected or anxious.

We have no kids, we drive crummy cars (total about 7,000 miles a year) don't take vacations, and don't buy new furniture or clothes. We're the only ones on our block who don't pay housecleaners or gardeners, so we can live pretty well in this high rent area without making a lot of $$. . .
          Cheers,

Frank Ford
          HomeShopTech

Comment

How old are you, Wayne? I am 68 and I have waited for "someday" for years, and I STILL do not have time to work in the Shop all I'd like to do!! LOL!

Comment

"I sometimes wonder why I even bother having a shop and furnishing it with equipment. It seems like with all life's other issues - wife, kids, family, work, endless fix-ups around the house, stupid weed-eaters that never work right, vehicle maintenance that's over-due, other hobbies, etc. It seems time to actually work in the shop and make things is very sparse."

You just got to have your priorities,Get busy in the shop, if the wife or kids want you , they know where you are.If it isn't important to you ,It can wait.

Comment

IOWOLF has it right. You just have to go work in the shop. When someone needs you, make them feel like they are first priority My family likes to sleep in on Saturday and Sunday mornings. That's when I hit the shop for hours at a time ... and have private chats with the dog.

Comment

Other than days I need to go to town or I am helping some one or involved with Lions.
                  I spend close to 6 hours a day in the shop. I guess I would average close to 30/36 hours a week in the shop or working on some project outside where I am in and out of the shop.

I retired 8 years ago and have not regretted it one minute.
                  The kids are growen and out of the house and any trips are usually short ones.

This past week I spent one day pressure washing the out side of the shop taking about 8 hours and Monday and Tuesday helping a friend paint the shop. He was the shooter and I was the go-fer.
                  Don\'t ask me to do a dam thing, I\'m retired.
                  http://home.earthlink.net/~kcprecision/

Comment

I think our hobbies are there when we need them to be. I'll play guitar for awhile, then let it sit in its case for years. Same thing with shooting, the machine shop, or the motorcycle I'm restoring. Just so long as they are there when I get the hankerin' to decompress, I'm happier for it. Yes, the crap sandwich generator seems to be in high gear these days. If you want a good way to restart your relationship with your shop, go out and clean a little. It'll reset your priority list, I bet. Don't sell it off until you're sure!
                    I'm here hoping to advancify my smartitude.

Comment

"I think our hobbies are there when we need them to be. I'll play guitar for awhile, then let it sit in its case for years. Same thing with shooting, the machine shop, or the motorcycle I'm restoring. Just so long as they are there when I get the hankerin' to decompress, I'm happier for it. Yes, the crap sandwich generator seems to be in high gear these days. If you want a good way to restart your relationship with your shop, go out and clean a little. It'll reset your priority list, I bet. Don't sell it off until you're sure!"

What in the hell is a sandwhich generator?

I'm with you on the rest of it.
                      Gene

Comment

Gene,
                        Never heard life is like a crap sandwich?
                        The more bread you get, the less crap you gotta eat!

Kevin

Comment

Too many hobbies, too little time! I still work full time Jan though April and then two days a week after that. No time for the hobby shop until after April. But then I also like to golf, take pictures, go on trips and well as making model engines. My best "guesstimate" is 1000 hours a year in my shop. I am not sure I would want more, it might start to seem like a job.
                          Paul in NE Ohio

Comment

How much time do you guys actually spend in your Home Shops?

Wayne,

You have got to make sure that your "honey do's" have a cure related to the machine or wood shop. The more you integrate your shop into the home repair process, the more it will be appreciated and valued. As for retirement, when I was working I had the money to buy stuff for the shop but not the time to use them. Now, I have the time and no money to buy anything I don't absolutely need. Fortunately, I got a lot of the stuff I needed while working and just stashed it away for now. I am in the "setting up phase" of my operation and there are a long list of projects I need to do just for the shop. I love machine shop work, it keeps me alive mentally and keeps me away from the evil TV.

Jim (KB4IVH)
                            Jim (KB4IVH)

Only fools abuse their tools.

Comment

I spend quite a bit of time in the shop, but not as much as I'd like on the projects I want to work on. Currently, I'm overhauling my boat trailer, it, along with the boat, is up for sale next weekend. But, it beats working at work. I still need to get the powerfeed going on the Bridgeport, and grind some endmills, and etc, etc. Summer projects seem to pile up, and before I know it, it'll be fall, and time for fishing and Pheasant hunting. But, time goes by, and I'm never bored, and can't find time to watch TV. That's a good thing.

TC
                              I cut it off twice; it's still too short
                              Oregon, USA

Comment

Working...
                              X