Beginner's Stupid Question Number Eight

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Beginner's Stupid Question Number Eight

Okay, here's a question that's probably so simple one of you guys can answer it typing with one hand. I'm betting the answer is staring me in the face, and I just don't know where to look.

I bought a tooling package that comes with an OXA toolholder for a boring bar, and a 1/2" boring bar. The link is below.

The #4 boring bar has a hole in it that I assume is where the boring bar wants to go. The problem is that it doesn't appear to be big enough for a 1/2" bar, in spite of the fact that the set advertises that it takes a 1/2" bar.

What am I missing?

This is the set I bought: https://littlemachineshop.com/produc...ProductID=4857

It looks like there is a bushing in the boring bar holder to make it hold a smaller bar, maybe 3/8". Push out (and save) the bushing to make it hold the larger bar.
    Kansas City area

Comment

I think you need to call Little machine Shop and ask them
      It could be a vendor error problem, or insufficient info on the instruction packet

Rich
      Green Bay, WI

Comment

Originally posted by Jammer Six View Post

What am I missing?
        A quality vendor ? (if what Tool guy said is not the case)

Comment

The description of the content says: "#4 Heavy Duty Boring [holder] will hold both 3/8 and 1/2 boring bars". So the Toolguy is definitely right (as always).
          So just unscrew the bolts enough to release the split sleeve and slide it out.

If you ever need to use a 3/8"-shank bar, make sure the slit of the sleeve is not located on the top or bottom: it should be on the right or left side so that the screws can squeeze it to hold the bar tightly.
          Last edited by MichaelP; 01-08-2022, 01:20 PM.
          Mike
          WI/IL border, USA

Comment

Originally posted by Toolguy View Post
            It looks like there is a bushing in the boring bar holder to make it hold a smaller bar, maybe 3/8". Push out (and save) the bushing to make it hold the larger bar.
            Originally posted by MichaelP View Post
            The description of the content says: "#4 Heavy Duty Boring [holder] will hold both 3/8 and 1/2 boring bars". So the Toolguy is definitely right (as always).
            So just unscrew the bolts enough to release the split sleeve and slide it out.

If you ever need to use a 3/8"-shank bar, make sure the slit of the sleeve is not located on the top or bottom: it should be on the right or left side so that the screws can squeeze it to hold the bar tightly.
            That was it! Thanks, gang!

Comment

Working...
            X