No announcement yet.

Advance lathe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

i CAME UP HERE AFTER THE OIL BOOM DIED IN THE 80S.Got a job up here stretching trucks.

Comment

You’re mechanically inclined. Start rolling it by hand, pulling levers, pushing knobs, it’ll make sense. Gotta crack eggs to make an omelette.

Comment

Start rolling it by hand, pulling levers, pushing knobs, it’ll make sense.
        Exactly what I was going to suggest. Substitute yourself for the motor, and see what does what in slo-mo.
        "A machinist's (WHAP!) best friend (WHAP! WHAP!) is his hammer. (WHAP!)" - Fred Tanner, foreman, Lunenburg Foundry and Engineering machine shop, circa 1979

Comment

Don't forget an excellent piece of advice I was once given. 'Don't start a machine doing something unless you already know how to stop it doing it.'
          'It may not always be the best policy to do what is best technically, but those responsible for policy can never form a right judgement without knowledge of what is right technically' - 'Dutch' Kindelberger

Comment

Yeah. Good advice. Dont want to break anything. Aint like I could buy parts. I would have to hire you guys to build parts. Ha

Comment

I see a Zerk fitting on the plain spindle bearing.
              When I see that, I always doubt that the user
              is actually using oil. They most likely are
              improperly using grease. Perhaps the bushings
              are completely worn out, and the owner had
              started using grease to crutch the worn out
              bearing material. Either way, it is a red flag.

-Doozer
              DZER

Comment

Yeah, doozer thats the first thing I will have to do is get rid of the grease and go back to oil. Hopefully I can.

Comment

deleted
                  Last edited by mklotz; 01-12-2022, 11:28 AM.
                  Regards, Marv

Home Shop Freeware - Tools for People Who Build Things
                  http://www.myvirtualnetwork.com/mklotz

Comment

You should send photos of your lathe to Tony Griffiths at www.lathes.co.uk, to add to his archive. Hes always on the lookout for information on little known machines, and once yours is on his site, who knows, other Advance owners may show up. Hes only got details of a small Advance lathe , made in Australia, which I suspect has no connection at all with your much larger machine, made in US.
                    'It may not always be the best policy to do what is best technically, but those responsible for policy can never form a right judgement without knowledge of what is right technically' - 'Dutch' Kindelberger

Comment

Welderskelter: I notice that the top thread selector is numbered 1 thru 8. Normally, selections are marked according to the thread that they will produce. Have you had the chance to determine what these numbers mean?

Sarge41

Comment

Originally posted by SVS View Post
                        You’re mechanically inclined. Start rolling it by hand, pulling levers, pushing knobs, it’ll make sense. Gotta crack eggs to make an omelette.
                        Yep, pull the chuck around by hand while trying the different levers etc to see what does what
                        I did that on my lathe when I got it, even tho I had an idea
                        just to learn the machine before it has horsepower in it
                        25 miles north of Buffalo NY, USA

Comment

Sarge 41 I have not done much figuring on it yet.But I will in a month or two.

Comment

Working...
                          X