I will drink a Beer.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Tom S View Post

Very cool. That's a lot of beer to go though.

I think it you were to start brewing again you would find that while the basic processes are the same, there has been a lot of changes with technology that can make brewing either as simple or as complicated as you want. We brew using a propane burner, some thermometers, and a timer - but on the other end of the scale there are guys out there with fully automated PID controlled electric systems. You had books and personal connections for sharing recipes, with the internet it can often be recipe overload and you can tap into the experience of a vast number of people (for better or worse...). Plus the software that now makes it easy to develop your own recipes. I use one called Brewfather, where I can input all the ingredients and the process and it will tell me what to expect with all the different aspects of the beer, and how it compares to the 'standard styles'.

Right now I'm playing around with a recipe for a Baltic Porter, but since we don't have a good lagering setup I'm tweaking it to use a Kviek yeast that ferments clean like a lager at up to 77F. However, the attenuation of the yeast is higher than a lager so I play with the ingredient levels until I've got things in the same range that a traditional lager yeast would achieve. My goal is to have a Baltic Porter that can ferment like an ale but still be crisp like it has been lagered. We'll see how it turns out.
    Well said Tom!
    I use Brewtarget for refining/making recipes (I am a linux guy).
    I still have not made a lager, I built a fermentation chamber and everything but I have just been enjoying the ales too much to bother.
    This hobby spoils you for store bought beer too I find, you just cant buy anything like the fresh unpasteurised nectar of the gods you can make in your own kettle...
    Cheers,
    Jon

Comment

Originally posted by Tom S View Post

Very cool. That's a lot of beer to go though.

I think it you were to start brewing again you would find that while the basic processes are the same, there has been a lot of changes with technology that can make brewing either as simple or as complicated as you want. We brew using a propane burner, some thermometers, and a timer - but on the other end of the scale there are guys out there with fully automated PID controlled electric systems. You had books and personal connections for sharing recipes, with the internet it can often be recipe overload and you can tap into the experience of a vast number of people (for better or worse...). Plus the software that now makes it easy to develop your own recipes. I use one called Brewfather, where I can input all the ingredients and the process and it will tell me what to expect with all the different aspects of the beer, and how it compares to the 'standard styles'.

Right now I'm playing around with a recipe for a Baltic Porter, but since we don't have a good lagering setup I'm tweaking it to use a Kviek yeast that ferments clean like a lager at up to 77F. However, the attenuation of the yeast is higher than a lager so I play with the ingredient levels until I've got things in the same range that a traditional lager yeast would achieve. My goal is to have a Baltic Porter that can ferment like an ale but still be crisp like it has been lagered. We'll see how it turns out.
      No doubt Tom, I did save some equipment. Maybe to get a small batch going.

I brewed just like you do, the basics. I did make a home made sparge arm and lauter tun That was the max of my fancyness. When I was just about done with the hobby my friends were getting into heat controls, and three tiered units taller than me lol.. At least they built them.

I always wrote a log for each batch, so I would know why it was so bad. I had one turn out like whisky, couldnt drink it, my friends did though. Damm alkies.

I looked into some of the warm working lagering type yeasts and where I was it just stayed too hot. The frig idea sorta works but you have to find a yeast that will ferment at a very low temp cause it was in with my drinking kegs, a lil chilly. I did finally find one that worked well.

Glad to see you are having fun with it. JR

Comment

Originally posted by JRouche View Post

I always wrote a log for each batch, so I would know why it was so bad.
        Me too, it is handy to be able to reference previous readings etc. I only had a couple turn out crappy and it was from a bad temperature reading resulting in the mash being too hot. Makes for a low alcohol and sweet beer, yuck..
        Cheers,
        Jon
        Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Jon Heron View Post

Me too, it is handy to be able to reference previous readings etc. I only had a couple turn out crappy and it was from a bad temperature reading resulting in the mash being too hot. Makes for a low alcohol and sweet beer, yuck..
          Cheers,
          Jon
          Probably

Prolly cause you have too much carbs still in yer sugar. You didtnt cook the sugar out of the grain or you didnt get yer temp right. You have to slightly pull the sugar out of the grain. Do it too fast and you will get solids and starch. Those two. no good. Check yer temps. maybe?? I dont know, I am dumb at best. .. JR

Comment

Originally posted by JRouche View Post

Probably

Prolly cause you have too much carbs still in yer sugar. You didtnt cook the sugar out of the grain or you didnt get yer temp right. You have to slightly pull the sugar out of the grain. Do it too fast and you will get solids and starch. Those two. no good. Check yer temps. maybe?? I dont know, I am dumb at best. .. JR
            Ya the problem was solved, it was a bad temperature probe that was reading about 8 degrees hotter then actual. If you mash too hot the sugars produced become too complex for the yeast to convert which is what leads to the sweet taste and low alcohol.
            Cheers,
            Jon

Comment

Working...
            X