X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Peter N
    replied
    Here's one I looked at last weekend.
    It was advertised as a Bridgeport as the guy didn't actually know what he had.

Peter

Leave a comment:

• Mark Hockett
    replied
    Russ,
    I have seen a few K&T 2H horizontal mills with BP heads mounted on the over arm supports. It is a fairly simple modification. All that is needed is an adapter plate that fits on the double tube over arm support, that the BP head can bolt to. The plates I've seen were made from a thick steel plate with 2 large holes bored to mount to the over arm tubes and 4 threaded holes to mount the BP head to. The large holes were slotted with cinch bolts. The advantage to this machine would be a much heavier casting on the base, power feed with rapids on the X, Y and knee axis, larger (10"x54") table and it could still be used as a horizontal mill if needed.

There is a shop in Sacramento, CA called Langill's Machine that has one and was building a second one the last time I was there. They said the machine worked really well.

Mark Hockett
    Island Tech Enterprises
    Clinton, WA
    360-914-6026

Leave a comment:

• J Tiers
    replied
    People put bridgeport heads on horizontal machines all the time. Even on ones as small as benchmaster. Somewhere in the metalworking dropbox retired files there are pics of a "benchport" conversion.

So I don't know why it would be any different for yours. If yours has a dovetail "box" type overarm, then it might be more trouble, of course. But still do-able, since it has been done. And of course, a bridgeport has a box overarm......

Leave a comment:

• JPR
    replied
    In that case, I would find a nice head at a good price and go for it.

Leave a comment:

• torker
    replied
    John, I should mention...this would be for the old OHIO horizontal mill I'm working on now.
    It did have a vertical head on it at one time.
    I even found the empty head case but all the inners and the adapter are missing. Would be easier to adapt another head to the machine maybe.
    Russ

Leave a comment:

• JPR
    replied
    well I will go first. I think it would be more work than it is worth, but possible.

The biggest issue would be to build a new ram adapter to connect your mill to the new head. Due to size and the cast in worm gear, this would not be the easiest piece to make. Also you would need to purchase or build a new ram adapter gear.

Leave a comment:

• torker
    started a topic Vertical head question?

Vertical head question?

Hey guys!
    I'm wondering about quite a few horizontal mills I've seen that had different mfg's vertical heads mounted on them
    Where these kind of a "fit all" swap or is there normally a lot of modifications made to them so they fit?
    The reason I'm wondering is, these often come up on Ebay and either go really cheap or don't sell at all.
    What would you look for if you where wanting a vertical head for a mill that was a different manufacturer?
    Thanks!
    Russ
Working...
X