X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Bented
    • Jun 2019

Quite simple really.
    Find the part position in X and Y, move to the hole position.
    Place Annular cutter in the spindle and produce hole.

Comment

• oxford
      • Jun 2011

In my opinion, the pins for annular cutters are really only good enough for fab work when lining up with a punch mark. If you take your time and are very careful you can get pretty close but there really is too much slop in them.

They are good for ejecting the slug though and while others haven’t, I usually have slugs hang up when I don’t have one in. It’s not usually hard to get out but you do need to stop the spindle and fiddle with it.

Comment

• DR
        • Jan 2003

Originally posted by JoeLee View Post

The cutter thread is a 4 start, never had one slip and they center up perfectly every time.

JL.................

Hmmm... 4 start thread in the cutters? While mine look to be exactly like yours mine have a standard fine thread on the shanks. You can use a bolt as a replacement except the factory shanks have flats to tighten them. The factory shanks don't have the three grip flats on the shanks either. But I have ground grip flats.

I've pretty much given up on mine for use on metal. Great for plastics and wood though. Maybe one of these days I'll try to alter the grind on the teeth as someone mentioned.

Comment

• JoeLee
          • Aug 2009

Originally posted by DR View Post

Hmmm... 4 start thread in the cutters? While mine look to be exactly like yours mine have a standard fine thread on the shanks. You can use a bolt as a replacement except the factory shanks have flats to tighten them. The factory shanks don't have the three grip flats on the shanks either. But I have ground grip flats.

I've pretty much given up on mine for use on metal. Great for plastics and wood though. Maybe one of these days I'll try to alter the grind on the teeth as someone mentioned.
          Yes, there are 4 starts on the arbor, they call it a quad thread.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-20210619-154230.jpg
Views:	340
Size:	141.4 KB
ID:	1980134

They cut fine, perfectly consistent holes, just takes a long time. I'm going to try dusting off some of the teeth about .003 leaving 4 to cut and the ones I grind will keep the cutter from digging in too deep and snagging. That should reduce the amount of force needed to cut and hopefully the chatter and squealing.

JL...................

Comment

• Bented
            • Jun 2019

Originally posted by JoeLee View Post
            Yes, there are 4 starts on the arbor, they call it a quad thread.

How cute that is (-:

Comment

• Tundra Twin Track
              • Jan 2014

Depending on Brand of cutter some have common dimensions internally,I machined a damaged roller shaft that would not fit my lathe.The damaged 1-1/4” shaft was machined down 1-1/8” with nice snug fit for the bearing. Click image for larger version

Name:	82E3C3EE-7461-436B-911A-160E2FC888B4.png
Views:	329
Size:	3.30 MB
ID:	1980161

Comment

• brian Rupnow
                • Mar 2008

The three R8 shanks came yesterday. The other two annular cutters are supposed to come later this week. they surely look "spiffy".
                Brian Rupnow
                Design engineer
                Barrie, Ontario, Canada

Comment

• Tundra Twin Track
                  • Jan 2014

You will really like those Brian,on similar holders I machined the Nose back to allow the shank of the cutter to go in deeper so set screws can grab Flat on shank.I also machined a bevel on set screws as some Flats on shank vary in size depending on Brand,I’ve got 6 different Brands and seem to Vary in size.The setscrews on a actually Annular Holder are much smaller than the End Mill Holder in the Pic.

Comment

• brian Rupnow
                    • Mar 2008

Tundra--I realized yesterday that I had ordered the wrong holders. I sent the three holders back and ordered one of the correct holders for the annular cutters.
                    Brian Rupnow
                    Design engineer
                    Barrie, Ontario, Canada

Comment

• true temper
                      • Dec 2007

Those would have worked just fine with a bit of modification

Comment

• brian Rupnow
                        • Mar 2008

So, after a bit of confusion (on my part), the wrong R8 collets have been returned and the correct R8 collet to hold these 3/4" Weldon shank annular cutters has been received, mounted in my mill, and a hole cut thru 1" aluminum plate. The "core" that is cut from the plate is setting on top of the plate. The hole was cut in "Low range" at 300 rpm. with lots of squirt on cutting oil. I did get the "birds-nest" of aluminum swarf which has been cleared away to take this picture. They make a beautiful smooth cut, and the milling machine doesn't sound like it is working very hard to make the hole. I am very satisfied. The annular cutters cost about $30 each. I may buy a couple more different sizes---don't know yet.

Brian Rupnow
                        Design engineer
                        Barrie, Ontario, Canada

Comment

• nickel-city-fab
                          • Jul 2017

How was the "feel" on the down feed? I've never used them on aluminum, only on mild steel.
                          25 miles north of Buffalo NY, USA

Comment

• oxford
                            • Jun 2011

Originally posted by nickel-city-fab View Post
                            How was the "feel" on the down feed? I've never used them on aluminum, only on mild steel.
                            From what I’ve seen, not much difference.

Comment

• brian Rupnow
                              • Mar 2008

I've never used one on steel, but on aluminum there wasn't a great deal of pressure used on the feed handles. Today was the first time I've used one in my life.
                              Brian Rupnow
                              Design engineer
                              Barrie, Ontario, Canada

Comment

• nickel-city-fab
                                • Jul 2017

Looks like you got a great finish anyway -- annular cutters are pretty good for that. I was even wondering about using larger ones for fly-cutting or for facing cuts. Like a real big shell end mill. But maybe thats not a good idea, I'd have to try it.
                                25 miles north of Buffalo NY, USA

Comment

Working...
                                X