Radial motor finished

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Radial motor finished

Still debating head finish. May just leave them as they are.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RCHBbyUIruc

Wow Sid--that looks spectacular!!!---Brian
    Brian Rupnow
    Design engineer
    Barrie, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Breathtaking work once again Sid WOW!

It's got a running sound like it's a gasser kinda loping a little I like it --- of course it lacks the blue oil smoke lol nice work.... you are a perfectionist....

Comment

That is very, very pretty!
        "A machinist's (WHAP!) best friend (WHAP! WHAP!) is his hammer. (WHAP!)" - Fred Tanner, foreman, Lunenburg Foundry and Engineering machine shop, circa 1979

Comment

Originally posted by A.K. Boomer View Post
          Breathtaking work once again Sid WOW!

It's got a running sound like it's a gasser kinda loping a little I like it --- of course it lacks the blue oil smoke lol nice work.... you are a perfectionist....
          Thanks guys!.

AK- it will run slower than that too. (or faster for that matter) But it does have a very pleasing sound.
          My wife says it sounds like a Harley.

Sid

Comment

What are you considering doing to the heads? they are perfect as is ------------- ?

Comment

What are you considering doing to the heads? they are perfect as is ------------- ?
              I'm not sure. Nickle plate? Paint?
              The brass will eventually tarnish.

Sid

Comment

Wonderful.

Have you built the model aircraft for it?

My FIL, before he passed, built a single and a twin. He built the model aircraft for the single (it was too small for the twin) but he did not stay with us long enough to see anything hit the skies.

My wife (his daughter... obviously) is in possesion of both engines. We have no idea where the plane ended up resting.

Comment

I always enjoy seeing your top quality work and you never fail to deliver.

Hal

Comment

Originally posted by sid pileski View Post

I'm not sure. Nickle plate? Paint?
                    The brass will eventually tarnish.

Sid
                    what about clearcoat? it's too purdy to cover up and also goes to well with the rest of the parts....

Comment

Jonesy- this is an air motor, not a true radial IC engine. I could not power an actual aircraft realistically.
                      Its just for display and the love of designing and building something.

Too bad about your FIL. You still have his engines though!

Sid

Comment

what about clearcoat? it's too purdy to cover up and also goes to well with the rest of the parts....
                        On my SteamPunk clock, I did use a clear coat, that so far, has held up.
                        That is a possibility.

Sid

Comment

Very nice. Is the 12 cyl. version on the drawing board yet ?

JL...............

Comment

Originally posted by sid pileski View Post
                            Jonesy- this is an air motor, not a true radial IC engine. I could not power an actual aircraft realistically.
                            Its just for display and the love of designing and building something.

Too bad about your FIL. You still have his engines though!

Sid
                            Yes, they are locked away and shown to guests. He made both engines while 'working' at Lucas Engineering in the uk. The whole firm had been put on 6 weeks notice, but given free access to all tools and materials if they wanted it. A number of the engineers took advantage. After this he officially retired. A talented and skillful man, much like yourself. He is very mssed.

Your workmanship is exquisite. I am extremely envious.

Comment

Absolutely fantastic.......

Be proud of your work. You and the engine both deserve it.

I wish I had the patience.... Or maybe just a few less hobbies all fighting for my time. I'm hoping to find time for a single cylinder oscillator steam/air motor this winter. So not even in the same league as your work.

I have to admit that my first thought was that it would look spectacular on a lightly built RC biplane cruising slowly by at crop dusting altitude. Then I noticed the lack of spark plugs and the big "fuel" line.... But that sure makes for a nice sound in the video where any sort of IC would make it sound more like a sewing machine like most glow or spark radials do in smaller sizes.
                              Chilliwack BC, Canada

Comment

Working...
                              X