Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Dimensions of a Bridgeport column access door

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Dimensions of a Bridgeport column access door

    Would someone with a Bridgeport vertical mill be so kind as to measure the dimensions of the column access door?

    The access door on my newer ACER eMill just has a "plastic cover" with a screw at each corner. If the dimensions are compatible, I'd like to purchase, modify, and install a Bridgeport door on Ebay to allow access to some extra storage inside the column. I don't want to go to the expense before knowing if the door size would be compatible.

    Thanks in advance.

    Pic below:

    Click image for larger version  Name:	Acer eMill column access cover.jpg Views:	0 Size:	166.1 KB ID:	1980026

  • #2
    8" x 11" is the hole in the column.

    Comment


    • #3
      My Grizzly has the cover also and I have been planning to do the same thing!

      Comment


      • #4
        Just gonna fill up with chips... I'd recommend against storing much in there.
        21" Royersford Excelsior CamelBack Drillpress Restoration
        1943 Sidney 16x54 Lathe Restoration

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by The Metal Butcher View Post
          Just gonna fill up with chips... I'd recommend against storing much in there.
          How do chips get in there ? I've never found any chips in mine.

          JL......

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by JoeLee View Post

            How do chips get in there ? I've never found any chips in mine.

            JL......
            The slot between the ram and turret. Right there, looking from the front.

            Click image for larger version

Name:	image_20910.jpg
Views:	328
Size:	230.0 KB
ID:	1980157

            When we first got ours, I thought it was careless owners going wild with air. It was only after some months using it did I discover what does it. It's the clips flung by endmills. Worst is cutting aluminum in the such a way that it tosses chips at the column (better than yourself of course!). Doing so flings them right up in that gap where they invariably veritably fall down into that cavity. I found it was >90% Aluminum. A simple brass guard screwed on could almost entirely solve the issue.
            21" Royersford Excelsior CamelBack Drillpress Restoration
            1943 Sidney 16x54 Lathe Restoration

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by The Metal Butcher View Post

              The slot between the ram and turret. Right there, looking from the front.

              Click image for larger version

Name:	image_20910.jpg
Views:	328
Size:	230.0 KB
ID:	1980157

              When we first got ours, I thought it was careless owners going wild with air. It was only after some months using it did I discover what does it. It's the clips flung by endmills. Worst is cutting aluminum in the such a way that it tosses chips at the column (better than yourself of course!). Doing so flings them right up in that gap where they invariably veritably fall down into that cavity. I found it was >90% Aluminum. A simple brass guard screwed on could almost entirely solve the issue.
              That's what I figured, the gap between the ram dovetails. I have a lexan back shield mounted on the back of my table and that stops almost all the chips from ending up anywhere behind the machine.

              But still that small opening between the ram DT is a long way up there.

              JL.................

              Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-20191206-113542.jpg
Views:	284
Size:	270.6 KB
ID:	1980203

              Comment


              • #8
                Depends on your style of milling. Long tool, in an endmill holder, with the quill flapping in the breeze causes minimal issues. Short endmill with the quill all the way up will fling them there no issue.
                21" Royersford Excelsior CamelBack Drillpress Restoration
                1943 Sidney 16x54 Lathe Restoration

                Comment


                • #9
                  I never have chips in the box ?
                  I keep my extraneous tool holders and clamps inside , And I don't leave the door open .
                  This is a 1943 Bridgeport and the opening is 8 x 11, and the door is 9 x 12. Serial # 3923 and still kicks butt !
                  Rich
                  Click image for larger version

Name:	P1110063.jpg
Views:	274
Size:	824.8 KB
ID:	1980235 Click image for larger version

Name:	P1110064.jpg
Views:	265
Size:	805.3 KB
ID:	1980236
                  Green Bay, WI

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    I'm trying to remember if I have ever opened that door in the three years since i brought it home. There could be a family of gnomes living in there for all I know.
                    Tom - Spotsylvania, VA

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Well I took a peak inside and no gnomes but there are some Al chips on the ledge that is under the front of the ram. Also some Al chips on the outside in the middle of the dovetail. I was machining a bunch of Al last time. So I guess chips can find their way inside.

                      Click image for larger version

Name:	bp.jpg
Views:	223
Size:	139.5 KB
ID:	1980347
                      Tom - Spotsylvania, VA

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        If you don't have a shelf, the chips are dropping right to the floor inside the column.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Through that hole you have no doubt. it also shows signs of coolant/fluid stains
                          What is that hole ?

                          Rich
                          Green Bay, WI

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            If you don't have chips in the box
                            you're not doing it right ~!~!~!~!~

                            -D
                            DZER

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by Rich Carlstedt View Post
                              Through that hole you have no doubt. it also shows signs of coolant/fluid stains
                              What is that hole ?

                              Rich
                              Coolant hose port I think. A pump is “supposed “ to live down in there.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X