No announcement yet.

Model engines

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I know, but society teaches us that everyone is a winner.
    You mean, that's not true? There is such a thing as
    personal responsibility ? We can't blame personal
    shortcomings on someone else ? Aw, come on.
    Please ?

-D
    DZER

Comment

The model builder that wrote under the moniker of LBSC from the 1920 until the 1960's frequently stated that you can't scale nature and he was right. When someone called one of his loco models a toy or model he would explain that it was a "very small full sized engine". he was absolutely right. They work exactly the same way as the big ones and the forces at work are exactly the same.

If you build an engine that doesn't run it is a model but if you build an engine or anything else that does run it is a very small engine or other and not a model. It does not matter what it is. You guys remember what the ladies say, size does not matter. An engine is an engine.
      The shortest distance between two points is a circle of infinite diameter.

Bluewater Model Engineering Society at https://sites.google.com/site/bluewatermes/

Southwestern Ontario. Canada

Comment

The burn rate of a given fuel in an internal combustion engine is going to be largely the same.
        That is why they use ignition lead or advance that varies with speed.
        Different size bores and strokes are better suited to different applications.
        Think low speed torque or high speed power.
        An engine is not an engine.
        Size matters when burn rate of the fuel is your constant.

-Doozer
        DZER

Comment

You guys have collectively answered my questions quite well, thank you. I'm glad to see there's a strong appreciation for the 'works' that people do in their shops, aside from the commercial aspect of repairing, reconditioning, fabricating business. In other words, if you conceive it, plan it, build it, and polish it to a satisfactory state- especially in your own eyes- then it's respectable in the eyes of others. It doesn't matter what it is for the most part. If you build from the plans of others, it's little different- you still put a lot of effort and time into making it, and you can be just as proud of it. It 'blows my mind' how far some people will go in the pursuit of it- witness those who build scales of locomotives, or the guy who built a 1/3 scale Ferrari, or those who build giant scale r/c craft of all types. Just the dedication alone is worthy of much respect.

I suppose I would be in the crowd that would build something for a useful purpose, rather than as a display item. An engine built onto the front of an alternator, for example, that would probably be propane powered. Or skip the alternator and use a model electric motor as a generator, for a very compact emergency battery charger that you could keep in the vehicle without taking up space or adding weight. That's something I would do.

And this sure doesn't mean I don't appreciate the 'display' projects, because I do. I see far more of those than I do the 'useful' ones- and maybe that just goes to show that people do have a strong sense of 'artful' in addition to the willingness and ability to satisfy needs. I do have a lot of respect for that.
          I seldom do anything within the scope of logical reason and calculated cost/benefit, etc- I'm following my passion-

Comment

I do tend to believe in the artful side of things.
            the things I design and build satisfy my need to create.
            Think of a painting by any one of the masters.
            If a highly acclaimed painting and a model that Bill Huxhold(sp?) built were displayed in a museum side by side, I know for sure what would hold my interest first, and longest.
            Art is in the eye of the beholder.
            Creating and machining is also in the eye of the beholder.

Sid

Comment

Here are a couple of examples of what a "home" builder can accomplish along the lines of what you are asking.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZsV7pAKmFtc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KyP7lCO6WBg&t=64s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hLJ4bii0EZA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gP5213NlQog

Not exactly "model" engines and definitely extreme, but useful none the less.
              Last edited by Bluechips; 01-14-2022, 07:59 AM.

Comment

A simple dynamometer and measured fuel usage would be fun as a model engine performance measure. BSFC.

How about a CFR engine model and a dyno model combination. Scale model or functional, either way would be cool.

https://www.asme.org/about-asme/engi...esearch-engine

Comment

There used to be a group over here making flash steam engines for model hydroplanes, I don't know if they were artistic, they went past at 100MPH+, a bit difficult to see.

Comment

Originally posted by sid pileski View Post
                    I do tend to believe in the artful side of things.
                    the things I design and build satisfy my need to create.
                    Think of a painting by any one of the masters.
                    If a highly acclaimed painting and a model that Bill Huxhold(sp?) built were displayed in a museum side by side, I know for sure what would hold my interest first, and longest.
                    Art is in the eye of the beholder.
                    Creating and machining is also in the eye of the beholder.

Sid
                    Buffalo has a really great art gallery.
                    It is a great collection as well as a great building.
                    The building was left over from the 1901 Pam American
                    Exhibition. You can read about the Pan Am in one of the
                    volumes of Tales From Oil Country when Osborne travels
                    there. Anyhow, great marble building.
                    Double anyhow... The collection they have there has some
                    of the classic great artists. Picasso, Renwah, Monet, Degas,
                    Serrate, and a few others that I can't remember or spell.
                    So they say art is great because of the way it makes you feel.
                    Ok, well good. I am an engineer. I am logical. It feels bad
                    when a girl breaks up with me. But what ever. That was college.
                    Triple anyhow... So when I go to the Albright Knox art gallery
                    I really have no idea what I am looking at. An engineer, remember?
                    But for real, I do get some feelings from the art. Hard to explain
                    but the pictures trigger some pathway activity in my brain.
                    Really crazy combinations of emotions that I really get no where
                    else, and I am not sure how to interpret. Not life love-hate.
                    More like happy and sad and a little high all at the same time.
                    Not sure if you know what I am talking about. But it is a thing
                    that was new for me. Maybe some of you should go to an art
                    gallery sometime and maybe get a little drunk first. Maybe.

--Doozer
                    DZER

Comment

Yeah, for me it would be a toss-up. One of my other activities is painting. Have done portraits, landscapes etc. Both of the things mentioned would hold my interest pretty well.
                      4357 2773 5150 9120 9135 8645 1007 1190 2133 9120 5942

Keep eye on ball.
                      Hashim Khan

Everything not impossible is compulsory

"There's no pleasing these serpents"......Lewis Carroll

Comment

Doozer- have you ever experienced a Huxhold??

Anyway, I understand what you are saying. I didn’t say that I don’t value artwork.
                        Look at some of the art created for Burning Man.
                        My term for that is techno art. Some of it is just incredible.
                        When I travel to places (with family) it was most always to a museum or some historical place.
                        There are other things out there than endmills and micrometers!

Sid

Comment

Originally posted by Doozer View Post

Buffalo has a really great art gallery.
                          It is a great collection as well as a great building.
                          The building was left over from the 1901 Pam American
                          Exhibition. You can read about the Pan Am in one of the
                          volumes of Tales From Oil Country when Osborne travels
                          there. Anyhow, great marble building.
                          Double anyhow... The collection they have there has some
                          of the classic great artists. Picasso, Renwah, Monet, Degas,
                          Serrate, and a few others that I can't remember or spell.
                          So they say art is great because of the way it makes you feel.
                          Ok, well good. I am an engineer. I am logical. It feels bad
                          when a girl breaks up with me. But what ever. That was college.
                          Triple anyhow... So when I go to the Albright Knox art gallery
                          I really have no idea what I am looking at. An engineer, remember?
                          But for real, I do get some feelings from the art. Hard to explain
                          but the pictures trigger some pathway activity in my brain.
                          Really crazy combinations of emotions that I really get no where
                          else, and I am not sure how to interpret. Not life love-hate.
                          More like happy and sad and a little high all at the same time.
                          Not sure if you know what I am talking about. But it is a thing
                          that was new for me. Maybe some of you should go to an art
                          gallery sometime and maybe get a little drunk first. Maybe.

--Doozer
                          geez Doozer, you might be human after all!

You don't have a to one dimensional (and clearly you are not). Like you, a big part of my existence centres around being logical and scientific, but its just a part.

Want to see some amazing stuff? Get out to a bunch of local galleries. Go direct to the artists studio (most love this, the gallery takes up to 50%). The fun part is its all stuff we can afford....eventually you see something that just grabs you and it follows you home. Kind of like old iron.
                          Last edited by Mcgyver; 01-18-2022, 07:32 AM.
                          in Toronto Ontario - where are you?

Comment

Originally posted by Mcgyver View Post

geez Doozer, you might be human after all!
                            "Human". Mcgyer there isn't any reason to insult the guy.
                            The shortest distance between two points is a circle of infinite diameter.

Bluewater Model Engineering Society at https://sites.google.com/site/bluewatermes/

Southwestern Ontario. Canada

Comment

Here ya go.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OwPE4QT5hhw

Comment

Originally posted by 3illmesmart View Post
                                Wow, that is one of the most impressive model builds I have ever seen, and I have looked at a LOT of them.

Comment

Working...
                                X