No announcement yet.

Model engines

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

As with a lot of threads that are started the OP has a question and there are some good responses. Then there are other replies that are lets just say ridiculous.
    To answer the original question, yes, a high performance model engine can be built. It follows the same criteria as their larger brethren, port shape, cam timing, type of induction and exhaust. To build a model engine and get it to work is in most cases challenging enough without adding in all the elements of high performance. A model engine is made to replicate an existing engine whether the end result being a static model or a functional one.
    Can a model engine be used to power a weed eater or chain saw, absolutely, but why? Are you going to post handbills telling people that at 3:00 on Friday you're going to be using your model V-8 weed eater?
    Can machinists who create model engines hold exacting tolerances? Most assuredly. Look up Lou Chenot Deusenberg and then tell me that model machinists are hacks.
    gbritnell

Comment

Originally posted by gbritnell View Post
      As with a lot of threads that are started the OP has a question and there are some good responses. Then there are other replies that are lets just say ridiculous.
      To answer the original question, yes, a high performance model engine can be built. It follows the same criteria as their larger brethren, port shape, cam timing, type of induction and exhaust. To build a model engine and get it to work is in most cases challenging enough without adding in all the elements of high performance. A model engine is made to replicate an existing engine whether the end result being a static model or a functional one.
      Can a model engine be used to power a weed eater or chain saw, absolutely, but why? Are you going to post handbills telling people that at 3:00 on Friday you're going to be using your model V-8 weed eater?
      Can machinists who create model engines hold exacting tolerances? Most assuredly. Look up Lou Chenot Deusenberg and then tell me that model machinists are hacks.
      gbritnell

Gbritnell ranks right up there in the top 10% of model engine builders as far as I am concerned. I admire his work and anyone would be well advised to pay serious attention to any of his suggestions. Go search and look at some of his engines and you will see why I say this.

I looked up Lou Chenot's Deusenberg, never seen that one before. That level of craftsmanship defies words to describe.

Last edited by Sparky_NY; 01-19-2022, 09:07 AM.

Comment

Just to be clear......The question was ".....has anyone (presumably folks here) built an engine with high performance as a major criteria?"

Sid P. and Loose Nut answered that question, basically nobody else did directly.

The OP is satisfied, and said so a while back.

Nobody asked "CAN you build...", or "is it reasonable to build...." Several DID answer those irrelevant questions.
        4357 2773 5150 9120 9135 8645 1007 1190 2133 9120 5942

Keep eye on ball.
        Hashim Khan

Everything not impossible is compulsory

"There's no pleasing these serpents"......Lewis Carroll

Comment

Lou Chenot's Deusenberg stands up as one of the best models ever built, all thought by all rights it is a very small full sized car, literally. I used to talk to him every years as he built it and did a lot of drooling. It is as perfect as one can get and the proof is that if you where the right size to fit in it you could start it up shift gears and drive it away. It is that complete. Everything works as it did on the full sized vehicle. He did have an advantage most of us didn't because he had access to original blueprints and full sized parts that he used to male his own drawings.

He was building two Liberty engines, one marine and one aircraft. I don't know what happened to them or himself. He didn't come to the latest shows back when we could. He did run one of the Liberties at a show at least once. I think that qualifies as a high performance engine.
          The shortest distance between two points is a circle of infinite diameter.

Bluewater Model Engineering Society at https://sites.google.com/site/bluewatermes/

Southwestern Ontario. Canada

Comment

We have some amazing craftsmanship here on this forum and sadly nothing I'll ever be able to attain.
            Here's another standout in Denmark.
            https://www.youtube.com/user/boksermotor

Comment

Working...
            X