Lock pick blank

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by RMinMN View Post
    Since you are making lock picking tools, maybe make them like these.

https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...kpicking+lishi
    My good buddy is a locksmith. He loves those. Says they are the best picks available anywhere. Big timesaver for him since once you get the lock picked you know the tumbler/pin sizes and can then just make a key to fit.

Comment

Originally posted by JoeLee View Post
      Just saw those the other day. They look pretty interesting but a bit more involved to make.

JL............
      I thought of duplicating a lishi pick.

The lishi picks are made to work on specific brands/models of keyways, so making one for the schlage lock on your front door will be neat, but it would not work on a kwikset lock on the
      garage door.

Dan
      At the end of the project, there is a profound difference between spare parts and left over parts.

Comment

Originally posted by BCRider View Post
        This is obviously a US thread

Up here in Canada it is a chargeable Federal offense to be found in possession of lock picking or "jimmy" tools if one is not a licensed locksmith or at their job as a properly accredited tow truck driver.

Nothing else to add but thought you might find this interesting.
        The legality of having lock picks depends on where you are. In California a locksmith or a locksmith student is allowed to have them. Of course, that is null and void if you are suspected of robbery. Then they become breaking and entering tools and that charge just extends the jail sentence.

I've been a student locksmith for about 20 years. I even have the foley belsaw key cutting machine to prove it.

Dan
        At the end of the project, there is a profound difference between spare parts and left over parts.

Comment

Originally posted by Doozer View Post
          I would contract these out to a waterjet cutter shop in a heartbeat.
          Too much fussing around.

-D
          they'd love you for that.
          in Toronto Ontario - where are you?

Comment

This is obviously a US thread

Up here in Canada it is a chargeable Federal offense to be found in possession of lock picking or "jimmy" tools if one is not a licensed locksmith or at their job as a properly accredited tow truck driver.
            Do you know that it specifically prohibits lock picks? I thought the law was the more generic "burglary tools" " https://laws-lois.justice.gc.ca/eng/...ction-351.html

As I understand it, most jurisdictions in the States have similar laws. The link suggest its state level, that many but not all have this sort of law. https://www.criminaldefenselawyer.co...glars-tool.htm

It says enforcement and conviction is going to be contextual. A crowbar in your garage isn't going to get you charged, on your person, in a back alley while wearing a balaclava caught in front of a damaged door might.

It could be considered a sensible (if enforcement/conviction was contextual). Gives them a charge for someone caught with the implements and trying to break in
            Last edited by Mcgyver; 01-14-2022, 01:47 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Mcgyver View Post

Do you know that it specifically prohibits lock picks? I thought the law was the more generic "burglary tools" " https://laws-lois.justice.gc.ca/eng/...ction-351.html

As I understand it, most jurisdictions in the States have similar laws. The link suggest its state level, that many but not all have this sort of law. https://www.criminaldefenselawyer.co...glars-tool.htm

It says enforcement and conviction is going to be contextual. A crowbar in your garage isn't going to get you charged, on your person, in a back alley while wearing a balaclava caught in front of a damaged door might.

It could be considered a sensible (if enforcement/conviction was contextual). Gives them a charge for someone caught with the implements and trying to break in
              Burglary tools, don't get caught with a battery powered angle grinder, pry bar or a an auto body slide hammer in you car......at least in Canada.
              Burglars go for the easiest entry, unlocked door or window, key under the mat, etc. Movie criminals pick ever lock they come upon.

Comment

Originally posted by Mcgyver View Post

What a person has on them in various scenarios certainly plays a big part just as you say.

The bit on the pick sets and jimmy tools though comes from a buddy of many years who was in fact a licensed locksmith. A set of picks or the standard kit of jimmy tools found on anyone in Canada that is not a licensed locksmith or where their job duties is not listed as being OK to have possession of such tools and while that person in at their job is good for prompt charges regardless of the setting. The reasoning being that a set of picks or jimmy tools really doesn't have any other purpose in any setting.
                Chilliwack BC, Canada

Comment

reasoning being that a set of picks or jimmy tools really doesn't have any other purpose in any setting.
                  I've used them to save a damsel in distress (wife locked her purse and car keys in her office). I think there are lots of settings where they have a legitimate purposes, lost keys etc. What matters insofar as right/wrong goes is do you legitimately have the authority to open the locked item/door etc. She legitimately, and me by proxy, has the authority to enter her locked office.

Comment

Obviously life being what it is there are lots of sets of them out there. Just don't bump into any police officers while you have them out in your hands. In Canada their job function would call for them to at the very least quietly confiscate them from you. And at worse charge you. I haven't seen the actual law in print but that's how my locksmith buddy described it.

Think about it in terms of where you might have seen a set of lockpicks for sale. You haven't. Only lock suppliers would have them for sale in Canada. And they'd ask for your locksmith's license number. I suspect that folks get them ordered off Amazon, Bangood or other such places and mailed in from overseas. But if our CBSA and Canada Post is doing their jobs such orders would be confiscated during shipment.
                    Last edited by BCRider; 01-14-2022, 02:15 PM.
                    Chilliwack BC, Canada

Comment

And they'd ask for your locksmith's license number. I suspect that folks get them ordered off Amazon, Bangood or other such places and mailed in from overseas. But if our CBSA and Canada Post is doing their jobs such orders would be confiscated during shipment.
                      Nope. They are not doing their job well. I bought a set of picks from Banggood to supplement the ones that I have. They were delivered without any undue delay. The picks were garbage, by the way. Most of them were stamped steel with burrs on the edges. They were hardened and brought back to a spring temper, which is nice BUT that meant I had to grind off the burrs instead of filing or wire brushing them clean.

Dan

Comment

Think about it in terms of where you might have seen a set of lockpicks for sale. You haven't. Only lock suppliers would have them for sale in Canada
                        Baloney

https://www.amazon.ca/s?k=lock+picki...s_ts-doa-p_1_8

https://www.amazon.ca/Honst-17pcs-Co...%2C132&sr=8-17

in stock in Can, can have it delivered tomorrow. That's where I bought my set
                        Last edited by Mcgyver; 01-14-2022, 05:27 PM.

Comment

Then perhaps the laws changed or my buddy was mistaken. Or the police simply don't bother to follow up on the old law other than to apply it when the other factors justify the charge. That's not out of the question either.
                          Chilliwack BC, Canada

Comment

or maybe you would get charged if skulking around someones back door at 2:00 a.m. .....not saying there isn't a law, but they don't seem to be contraband you thought. they were.

They are handy to have around, however I would have been better to get a good set (4 or 5 picks, they're about 100). The cheapos work, but mea, they are a bit flimsy. I can only open simple stuff...it does take some practice

Comment

Originally posted by danlb View Post
                              I thought of duplicating a lishi pick.

The lishi picks are made to work on specific brands/models of keyways, so making one for the schlage lock on your front door will be neat, but it would not work on a kwikset lock on the
                              garage door.

Dan
                              They showed a few different ones in the vid.
                              I wonder what the price is per. ??

JL....

Comment

Originally posted by JoeLee View Post
                                They showed a few different ones in the vid.
                                I wonder what the price is per. ??

JL....
                                I thought I read that they are around $60 to $120. Not sure why so high. There appear to be two manufacturers, so that accounts for some of the price differential.

Dan

Comment

Working...
                                X