• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Got a torch? Unfreeze the tracks.....

4357 2773 5647 3671 3645 0087 1276

CNC machines only go through the motions

"There's no pleasing these serpents"......Lewis Carroll

Comment

Many of the track machines have an upper idler roller. If it gets in mud or frozen it does not turn. The steel track just slides across it an creates a flat spot on the roller. If the sprocket gets really frozen and an operator tries to move the machine it can twist an axle off.

Comment

Don't know what kind of mud you all are used to, but here in southern Indiana, this yellow clay is the worst kind , no bottom to it and hard as a whore's heart when frozen. I would think that up in the northern part of the country or Canada would be worse, maybe the soil is different, maybe even sandy.
        Sarge41

Comment

Im still kinda in awe of BF's glove magnet,,, that's one powerful glove magnet... lol

and now that im thinking about it --- I am amazed at the power transfer when using an impact gun with some of the extended "chain wrenches"

when they first mentioned that in the demonstration I was like "oh yeah this is going to go well" but the fact that they even managed to get half the torque rating out of the milwaukee shocked me,,, I can tell you right off the higher end "chain wrench extenders" like Mac and Snap off had about zero chain slop to achieve that in fact they might have been assembled with ever so slight pre-load...
          Last edited by A.K. Boomer; 01-15-2022, 08:43 PM.

Comment

I was asked to tighten that fan belt on a Hitachi/John Deere mini excavator in the field a few years ago during the winter in New Jersey. Soon after that I packed my stuff and moved my family to California where...I did tighten that fan belt on a JD 27D mini excavator. It was 72 F, not a cloud in the sky, and I thoroughly enjoyed it.
            -Roland
            Golf Course Mechanic

Bedminster NJ

Comment

I have noticed that the operators are trying to keep their tracks clear now that the maintenance shop has had to clean out a few of them... boss must have had a few words with management about it, and something is Getting Done (TM) about it.

I notice that all the newer machines are supplied with large (6 feet, 2 meters) solid rubber wheels. For our purposes this is fine, since the machine is sitting on its stabilizers pads when in operation, and not on the drive wheels. Normally they only drive the machines from one location to another (about 100 years/100 meters) once or twice a day.
              25 miles north of Buffalo NY, USA

Comment

Originally posted by A.K. Boomer View Post
                Im still kinda in awe of BF's glove magnet,,, that's one powerful glove magnet... lol

and now that im thinking about it --- I am amazed at the power transfer when using an impact gun with some of the extended "chain wrenches"

when they first mentioned that in the demonstration I was like "oh yeah this is going to go well" but the fact that they even managed to get half the torque rating out of the milwaukee shocked me,,, I can tell you right off the higher end "chain wrench extenders" like Mac and Snap off had about zero chain slop to achieve that in fact they might have been assembled with ever so slight pre-load...
                You can see the round spots on the glove thumb. Those are the magnets. The index and thumb both have openings enabling you to fold the glove finger back and stick to the magnets. That frees up your bare finger and thumb to facilitate pulling the trigger and adjusting the scope more easily in cold weather. The wrench in the picture is just a 14mm so not real heavy but it worked for me so I am happy. I wear the gloves when I shoot tresspassers in winter from my hunting blind.

Click image for larger version

Name:	glove_magnet.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	122.4 KB
ID:	1981007

How to become a millionaire: Start out with 10 million and take up machining as a hobby!

Comment

Well I'll be dang --- you better watch it those could be powerful enough to accidentally pull a trigger !

I like that ratchet wrench -- little less bulkier on the ends than the cheap ones I got,,, it makes you wonder though and just like mine, if it's already got a ratchet in it why not just make them 6 point for a real bite on the nutz so to speak...

Comment

Working...
                  X