Trying to replace bearings in a hub

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trying to replace bearings in a hub

As I am trying to refurbish my Hendey lathe, I want to replace the two deep groove ball bearings in the drive pully hub. I originally just tried to press out the two bearing with their spacer with my hydraulic press, but I could move one enough to end up locking the other bearing so both didn't turn. I have a 25 ton press. I finally pressed from the other side to get them to work independently again. The hub has two 8505 bearings on each side of the hub with a spacer and oil slinger between them. They are a little crunchy so I want to replace them with sealed bearings so I don't have to worry about oiling them. There is also a third 8505 bearing on the same shaft as outer shaft support, and that bearing fits snuggly into both sides of the hub. This is what leads me to believe that they have to come out as a group. I can't see any other way for them to be removed as there is no interior space to try to pull them off.

Here are some pics of the hub

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2606.jpg
Views:	343
Size:	743.4 KB
ID:	1980632 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2607.jpg
Views:	331
Size:	1.07 MB
ID:	1980634 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2609.jpg
Views:	328
Size:	768.1 KB
ID:	1980633

Name:	IMG_2608.jpg
Views:	325
Size:	698.3 KB
ID:	1980635 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2609.jpg
Views:	331
Size:	768.1 KB
ID:	1980636

My current plan is to put some pressure with the press and apply some heat and hopefully that will do the trick.

Any advise as how to proceed safely is greatly appreciated

Thanks
    Skipd1

Do they press up against a step
    or is it a thru bore ? ? ?

-D
    DZER

Comment

Knock out the balls and inner races and put a weld bead in the outer race ball channel. Once it cools the outer races will fall out.

Comment

I've seen arrangements like that where the spacer was held in place by set screws, deeply buried in grunge so not immediately visible. Hendy built quality machines so if things are free to come, the press fit should be reasonable. I've never encountered one my 3 ton arbor press couldn't remover and imo, unless you really dialing it down, imo 25 tons is way into part damaging excess territory.

Macona's is a good idea and it works....it'll stop you wrecking something if there is a shoulder
        in Toronto Ontario - where are you?

Comment

You do not need a weld bead.
          Just heat the race red and it will yield it's press fit
          by growing in width while it gives up it's diameter.
          Then when it cools, of course it shrinks.
          No need to worry about getting the weld in the
          right spot or spatter BBs all over the place.

-Doozer
          DZER

Comment

Since you got it to slide somewhat and the result was that it wedged one of them I'm thinking that you're on the right path but that for whatever reason there's a burr or a sheared off set screw as suggested by Mcgyver. On my own lathe the bearings in the head stock pulley that come into use during back gear work is oiled through a hole that has a set screw in it to hold the oil in and keep it off the pulley. Perhaps you have something similar? Perhaps something as silly as a second set screw deep in the hole?

Some fast heating of the outer gear ring should certainly ease up the grip on the bearings. Certainly worth a try.
            Chilliwack BC, Canada

Comment

Originally posted by Doozer View Post
              Do they press up against a step
              or is it a thru bore ? ? ?

-D
              Because of the spacers between the bearing on the inside I can't see, but if so how would you get them out? The spacer won't let you get hold of the inside of the race!

Comment

Originally posted by Mcgyver View Post
                I've seen arrangements like that where the spacer was held in place by set screws, deeply buried in grunge so not immediately visible. Hendy built quality machines so if things are free to come, the press fit should be reasonable. I've never encountered one my 3 ton arbor press couldn't remover and imo, unless you really dialing it down, imo 25 tons is way into part damaging excess territory.

Macona's is a good idea and it works....it'll stop you wrecking something if there is a shoulder
                I have inspected this hub completely and it's completely homogenous and without any areas where a set screw could be holding the bearings or spacer. I hesitate to rip open the bearings and weld on the inside of the outer race. but I will if that's my only recourse.

Comment

I mean, if you had to....
                  Break out the inner race and remove the balls.
                  Then use a grinding stone in a die grinder and
                  grind through the outer race. It really does not
                  matter if you nick the bore just a little bit.
                  Even grind it through in 2 places to make it
                  super easy to remove.

--D
                  DZER

Comment

Well you guys were right, there is a step on inside of each end of the hub

Name:	IMG_2613.jpg
Views:	304
Size:	801.4 KB
ID:	1980675

I machined a shaft to fit the inside diameter of the bearing and pulled the spacers off to one side and easily pushed the both out from each side. No wonder 25 tons wasn't moving anything!!!

Thanks everyone for the help.

Skipd1

Comment

My arm hurts.
                      I been patting my self on the back a lot lately.

-D
                      DZER

Comment

Originally posted by skipd1 View Post

I have inspected this hub completely and it's completely homogenous and without any areas where a set screw could be holding the bearings or spacer. I hesitate to rip open the bearings and weld on the inside of the outer race. but I will if that's my only recourse.
                        glad you figured it out....just for posterity, the idea with the weld approach is to tig it so its neat and clean without splatter
                        in Toronto Ontario - where are you?

Comment

Big TiG lover here as well.

-D
                          DZER

Comment

Originally posted by skipd1 View Post
                            Well you guys were right, there is a step on inside of each end of the hub

Name:	IMG_2613.jpg
Views:	304
Size:	801.4 KB
ID:	1980675

I machined a shaft to fit the inside diameter of the bearing and pulled the spacers off to one side and easily pushed the both out from each side. No wonder 25 tons wasn't moving anything!!!

Thanks everyone for the help.

Skipd1
                            It's a good thing you didn't break the flange.

JL................

Comment

Me too, but it's a pretty robust chunk of steel

Comment

Working...
                              X