• Show
Clear All

• mattthemuppet
    replied
    that's very true

Leave a comment:

• skipd1
    replied
    Its like they say experience is something you don't need after you acquire it!!

Leave a comment:

• mattthemuppet
    replied
    man, wish I'd seen this yesterday, could have told you to push the spacer to one side - that's how the bearings in the freehub on my bike are arranged.

Leave a comment:

• Tundra Twin Track
    replied
    Originally posted by Doozer View Post
    My arm hurts.
    I been patting my self on the back a lot lately.

-D
    Careful Doozer,that can bite sometimes lol!

A few years back was Sledding in the Mountains and our Group was trying for over a hour to conquer a very steep vertical wall.Right when I was confident that was going make it over my buddy slingshoted me and made it over.I followed him up and found him up against a Tree Stuck,he said he lost control control going over the top riding with one arm and patting himself on the back with the other,we all got a good laugh out of it.

Leave a comment:

• eKretz
    replied
    You can also just heat the stuck race to red heat with an O/A torch as Doozer described without removing the other race and individual balls or rollers. That usually works just fine. And I might give that part a quick check to make sure you didn't damage anything with the press. It looks stout enough that you're probably fine though.

Leave a comment:

• skipd1
    replied
    Me too, but it's a pretty robust chunk of steel

Leave a comment:

• JoeLee
    replied
    Originally posted by skipd1 View Post
    Well you guys were right, there is a step on inside of each end of the hub

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2613.jpg
Views:	325
Size:	801.4 KB
ID:	1980675

I machined a shaft to fit the inside diameter of the bearing and pulled the spacers off to one side and easily pushed the both out from each side. No wonder 25 tons wasn't moving anything!!!

Thanks everyone for the help.

Skipd1
    It's a good thing you didn't break the flange.

JL................

Leave a comment:

• Doozer
    replied
    Big TiG lover here as well.

-D

Leave a comment:

• Mcgyver
    replied
    Originally posted by skipd1 View Post

I have inspected this hub completely and it's completely homogenous and without any areas where a set screw could be holding the bearings or spacer. I hesitate to rip open the bearings and weld on the inside of the outer race. but I will if that's my only recourse.
    glad you figured it out....just for posterity, the idea with the weld approach is to tig it so its neat and clean without splatter

Leave a comment:

• Doozer
    replied
    My arm hurts.
    I been patting my self on the back a lot lately.

-D

Leave a comment:

• skipd1
    replied
    Well you guys were right, there is a step on inside of each end of the hub

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2613.jpg
Views:	325
Size:	801.4 KB
ID:	1980675

I machined a shaft to fit the inside diameter of the bearing and pulled the spacers off to one side and easily pushed the both out from each side. No wonder 25 tons wasn't moving anything!!!

Thanks everyone for the help.

Skipd1

Leave a comment:

• Doozer
    replied
    I mean, if you had to....
    Break out the inner race and remove the balls.
    Then use a grinding stone in a die grinder and
    grind through the outer race. It really does not
    matter if you nick the bore just a little bit.
    Even grind it through in 2 places to make it
    super easy to remove.

--D

Leave a comment:

• skipd1
    replied
    Originally posted by Mcgyver View Post
    I've seen arrangements like that where the spacer was held in place by set screws, deeply buried in grunge so not immediately visible. Hendy built quality machines so if things are free to come, the press fit should be reasonable. I've never encountered one my 3 ton arbor press couldn't remover and imo, unless you really dialing it down, imo 25 tons is way into part damaging excess territory.

Macona's is a good idea and it works....it'll stop you wrecking something if there is a shoulder
    I have inspected this hub completely and it's completely homogenous and without any areas where a set screw could be holding the bearings or spacer. I hesitate to rip open the bearings and weld on the inside of the outer race. but I will if that's my only recourse.

Leave a comment:

• skipd1
    replied
    Originally posted by Doozer View Post
    Do they press up against a step
    or is it a thru bore ? ? ?

-D
    Because of the spacers between the bearing on the inside I can't see, but if so how would you get them out? The spacer won't let you get hold of the inside of the race!

Leave a comment:

• BCRider
    replied
    Since you got it to slide somewhat and the result was that it wedged one of them I'm thinking that you're on the right path but that for whatever reason there's a burr or a sheared off set screw as suggested by Mcgyver. On my own lathe the bearings in the head stock pulley that come into use during back gear work is oiled through a hole that has a set screw in it to hold the oil in and keep it off the pulley. Perhaps you have something similar? Perhaps something as silly as a second set screw deep in the hole?

Some fast heating of the outer gear ring should certainly ease up the grip on the bearings. Certainly worth a try.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X