Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Getting those toolmaker quality chamfers on parts......how?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Inside corners are always an issue with the sander or even a rotary tool like those air chamfer ones..... *cough*.... FILE!... *cough*.....
    Chilliwack BC, Canada

Comment

Originally posted by BCRider View Post
      Inside corners are always an issue with the sander or even a rotary tool like those air chamfer ones..... *cough*.... FILE!... *cough*.....
      Yah.... you can file to the tolerances needed to make those perfect edge chamfers? If so, you are clearly a throwback to the 1800s. I cannot, don't pretend to, and am not too credulous of those who claim they do. Not sure I even want to!
      4357 2773 5150 9120 9135 8645 1007 1190 2133 9120 5942

Keep eye on ball.
      Hashim Khan

Everything not impossible is compulsory

"There's no pleasing these serpents"......Lewis Carroll

Comment

That tool from AliExpress is about $58 (US). The cheaper prices are just for accessories.
        http://pauleschoen.com/pix/PM08_P76_P54.png
        Paul , P S Technology, Inc. and MrTibbs
        USA Maryland 21030

Comment

Interesting to hear a devotee of hand scraping so derisive of hand filing.

I’m avg. at best, but tend to see champher filing as a self regulated process. As width grows, progress slows.

Comment

Originally posted by SVS View Post
            Interesting to hear a devotee of hand scraping so derisive of hand filing.

I’m avg. at best, but tend to see champher filing as a self regulated process. As width grows, progress slows.
            Not derisive of hand filing in general. Derisive of MY abilities.. And "questioning" of others claims, pending seeing their work.

Putting a good 45 degree by 0.0625 wide chamfer on an edge, that does not have any "wiggles" when sighted along, and looks and even measures the same all around the part? Not in my skill set.

Scraping? I have a comparison reference, and all I have to do is to make my work fit the comparison reference. I consider that easier.

Could I use similar techniques to get the part to look right? Sure..... But I am pretty damn sure that is NOT how it is done on the parts I have seen.
            4357 2773 5150 9120 9135 8645 1007 1190 2133 9120 5942

Keep eye on ball.
            Hashim Khan

Everything not impossible is compulsory

"There's no pleasing these serpents"......Lewis Carroll

Comment

A couple mechanic friends like their pneumatic band files for general use.

Maybe already mentioned? Haven’t followed the links above.

Faster but no more precise than a file unless a guide can be incorporated.

Comment

This is what I have. Beveling machine, made in Germany.

12" x 35" Logan 2557V lathe
                Index "Super 55" mill
                18" Vectrax vertical bandsaw
                7" x 10" Vectrax mitering bandsaw
                24" State disc sander

Comment

Click image for larger version  Name:	D8B065E6-0EED-4216-8852-A16548C5BD86.jpg Views:	0 Size:	9.3 KB ID:	1980946

Electrlc is also available.

Comment

Originally posted by Rich Carlstedt View Post
                    I don't know about other die shops, but ours had a 12 inch disc sander with the table set at 45 degrees ( Downward )
                    and a 1/2 drill rod horizontal about 3/4" above the table , so when you lay a block on the table, you get a perfect 45 degree chamfer at about .060"
                    You can get the corners too
                    Rich
                    I am trying to visualize the position of the drill rod and the way it's attached to the machine to provide no interference with the X-axis movement of the workpiece being chamfered.

The best I can imagine (maybe, erroneously) the rod should be positioned above and parallel to the gap between the disk and the table to serve as a stop. In this case, about the only way to attach the rod to the machine will be to make it П-shape to straddle the wheel and attach it somewhere behind the wheel. Although a sketch would be ideal, maybe you can try confirming or clarifying it a bit more? Thank you.

Mike
                    WI/IL border, USA

Comment

Originally posted by ezduzit View Post
                      This is what I have. Beveling machine, made in Germany.
                      A couple of questions, if you don't mind.
                      What's the min thickness of sheet/plate it will reliably chamfer (so that the bearing provided support along the edge being chamfered)?
                      Do you use common inserts (vs.proprietary)? If so, which ones?
                      Thank you.
                      Last edited by MichaelP; 01-16-2022, 01:49 AM.
                      Mike
                      WI/IL border, USA

Comment

Originally posted by J Tiers View Post

Not derisive of hand filing in general. Derisive of MY abilities.. And "questioning" of others claims, pending seeing their work.

Putting a good 45 degree by 0.0625 wide chamfer on an edge, that does not have any "wiggles" when sighted along, and looks and even measures the same all around the part? Not in my skill set.

Scraping? I have a comparison reference, and all I have to do is to make my work fit the comparison reference. I consider that easier.

Could I use similar techniques to get the part to look right? Sure..... But I am pretty damn sure that is NOT how it is done on the parts I have seen.
                        Perhaps you care too much?
                        21" Royersford Excelsior CamelBack Drillpress Restoration
                        1943 Sidney 16x54 Lathe Restoration

Comment

Originally posted by MichaelP View Post
                          What's the min thickness of sheet/plate it will reliably chamfer (so that the bearing provided support along the edge being chamfered)?
                          Thank you.
                          No, not really. You can use junk, You dont have to, JR

Comment

I agree that nice crisp chamfers really add the finishing touch. I made these gang toolholders for my small CNC lathe and at first tried doing the chamfer with a 45 degree cutter but found that it was better just to use nice sharp single cut files of various sizes employing the draw filing method where possible.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Gang Tooling.jpg
Views:	314
Size:	415.4 KB
ID:	1980969 ​ ​​​​​​​​​
                            image widget

Comment

Originally posted by MichaelP View Post
                              Thank you.
                              This is not for sheet metal. You want to keep at least 1/16" engaged on the bearing follower. I haven't used it enough to need carbide cutter replacement, but I believe they are proprietary (3-flute).
                              12" x 35" Logan 2557V lathe
                              Index "Super 55" mill
                              18" Vectrax vertical bandsaw
                              7" x 10" Vectrax mitering bandsaw
                              24" State disc sander

Comment

About 80% done with this. Files, scrapers, mop on Dremel tool and 180 paper for the rest.

Click image for larger version  Name:	09-05641.jpg Views:	0 Size:	42.9 KB ID:	1981009

Comment

Working...
                                X