Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Getting those toolmaker quality chamfers on parts......how?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nice attachment, still a bit large, and not good up to inside corners, but much more usable than the others for most smaller things. Way faster than a bunch of setups and doing it on a mill, and no comparison to trying to file it all perfectly. Thanks for the link.

I have no tiny die grinder, but I DO have a Foredom, which is less handy, but probably usable. Not sure how good the surface will be, that die grinder is quite high speed, about 3.5 x faster than the Foredom, at least.
    CNC machines only go through the motions

Comment

This thread made me order one of those little die grinder doohickeys.

Because it looks fun.

Edit- it showed up, and it's about as useful as a roundover in a wood router-
      as in, yes, it can do OK if you have a nice flat piece to chamfer, and don't
      have inside corners. It isn't all that good at deburring, but with multiple passes,
      it gets better. Don't go fast, and it makes a pretty good attempt. But anything
      done in the mill looks better, and is hardly any more time consuming.

I do love those '0 flute' countersinks and deburring bits, too. The
      'cone- with- hole' things.

t
      and fun and looks is what it's all about, right?
      Last edited by Tobias-B; 01-21-2022, 12:16 PM.
      rusting in Seattle

Comment

Yep.

That die grinder looked expensive, for a "use sometimes but not a lot" item. And, of course, because of whose video we saw it on!

Still, having the thing, one would probably use it more....when you have a hammer, there sure are a lot of nails around.

Comment

I used a Counter Sink the style with the hole thru it to put a bevel on these Nylatron Mounts in the Mill. Click image for larger version

Name:	7C82C6CF-7E18-47F2-BBF6-2BA9AFCFA09A.png
Views:	229
Size:	3.09 MB
ID:	1981974

Comment

I bore holes using my CNC in plastic and aluminium to take 'rods' with O-ring seals. The sharp edge of the hole will almost always damage the O-ring, which is 'undesirable' as it is sealing high pressure propane.

So I use some sort of chamfer cutter (90, 60, 42 deg) to bevel the edge of the hole. (I write my own programs in g-code.) I find the trick is to chamfer gently and to always do one or two more circuits of the edge with no Z movement after the full depth of the chamfer is done. That removes any slight marks on the chamfer which might damage the O-ring. No problems.

Cheers
            Roger

Comment

While not exactly perfect as you are trying to achieve scalloped edge belts for your belt grinder will get you as close as you can get doing it by hand. They don't leave the lines you get when using a straight edge belt. They get into corners very easily and leave a beautiful finish. The only ones I know of are made for 2" x72" belt grinders. Knife makers use them to get perfect grinds on contours. They get used as a slack belt, not against a platten. They are 1" wide and are intended for use on a 2" wide belt grinder.

How to become a millionaire: Start out with 10 million and take up machining as a hobby!

Comment

Originally posted by Black Forest View Post
                While not exactly perfect as you are trying to achieve scalloped edge belts for your belt grinder will get you as close as you can get doing it by hand. They don't leave the lines you get when using a straight edge belt. They get into corners very easily and leave a beautiful finish. The only ones I know of are made for 2" x72" belt grinders. Knife makers use them to get perfect grinds on contours. They get used as a slack belt, not against a platten. They are 1" wide and are intended for use on a 2" wide belt grinder.
                Those are a darn good idea! My belt grinder is a 1", but I'd bet a person could scallop the edge of a belt. Maybe not as well as the makers do, but probably effectively.

Comment

Originally posted by J Tiers View Post

Those are a darn good idea! My belt grinder is a 1", but I'd bet a person could scallop the edge of a belt. Maybe not as well as the makers do, but probably effectively.
                  I have thought about taking a hole punch to the edge of my 3/4" belts for my knife sharpener and making the scalloped edges. They are only 300mm long so it wouldn't take too long to go around both edges.

How to become a millionaire: Start out with 10 million and take up machining as a hobby!

Comment

I have thought about taking a hole punch to the edge of my 3/4" belts for my knife sharpener and making the scalloped edges. They are only 300mm long so it wouldn't take too long to go around both edges.
                    Just go grab the wifes good pinking shears and have a go. She'll probably never know

Comment

Originally posted by Dan Dubeau View Post

Just go grab the wifes good pinking shears and have a go. She'll probably never know
                      No way. I live in fear of my wife.

Comment

No way. I live in fear of my wife.
                        Buy her a heated vest

Comment

Originally posted by Dan Dubeau View Post

Buy her a heated vest
                          She already has one. I would have to buy her another horse to get out of trouble.

Comment

She already has one. I would have to buy her another horse to get out of trouble.
                            Ya, you best be a good boy and don't get into trouble.

Comment

Originally posted by loose nut View Post
                              File!
                              404 File not found

Comment

Originally posted by J Tiers View Post

Wrong! Doing it yourself is a no go. I tried it today. First I had to grind off one side of the circle the blade on the hole punch has so I could cut half a circle. Then walk it around the belt reversing the punch to get the serpentine cuts. Nope ain't going happen on anything very long. It took me a long time to go about 3" on one side. Then I stopped and declared it a no go.

Comment

Working...
                                X