Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Getting those toolmaker quality chamfers on parts......how?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well, that's useful info.. I won't try it anytime soon.

Out of curiosity.... are the factory scallops smallish circular cuts or long oval cuts?

4357 2773 5647 3671 3645 0087 1276

CNC machines only go through the motions

"There's no pleasing these serpents"......Lewis Carroll

Comment

They are sort of triangular.

Click image for larger version

Name:	scallop belts.jpg
Views:	220
Size:	32.8 KB
ID:	1983010

How to become a millionaire: Start out with 10 million and take up machining as a hobby!

Comment

Originally posted by Black Forest View Post

Wrong! Doing it yourself is a no go. I tried it today. First I had to grind off one side of the circle the blade on the hole punch has so I could cut half a circle. Then walk it around the belt reversing the punch to get the serpentine cuts. Nope ain't going happen on anything very long. It took me a long time to go about 3" on one side. Then I stopped and declared it a no go.
        Cutting abrasive products using a tool that the abrasive is intended to abrade is never going to be a winning combination.

Besides, for softening and rounding over corners a belt is going to be fine. But it won't do the crisp edges and consistent width chamfers being asked for in this thread. That's machining territory.
        Chilliwack BC, Canada

Comment

Originally posted by J Tiers View Post
          Yep.

That die grinder looked expensive, for a "use sometimes but not a lot" item. And, of course, because of whose video we saw it on!

Still, having the thing, one would probably use it more....when you have a hammer, there sure are a lot of nails around.
          I have a little Dotco 60,000 RPM air grinder. While I don't use it a huge amount, it does come in handy now and again. Mostly for deburring intricate little parts with a small carbide burr, but I have used it mounted in the mill for drilling tiny holes too. I would rather keep it loose than semi-permanently mount it in some sort of fixture though. Could probably just use a cheap 1/4" die grinder for that. And electric would probably be even better.

Comment

I know you're looking for machines...I don't have anything fancy like that, but a noga deburring tool offers a lot of control in the hand. I used to file the chamfers, the noga edge is much better, though maybe not quite what you would call a toolmakers chamfer.
            "it is no measure of mental health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society." -- krishnamurti
            "look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better." -- albert einstien
            "any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex...It takes a touch of genius - and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction."

Comment

I do not use Noga (they are the blue ones, right?), I use the "other" one, the fatter one with the red handle.

Those are very good at what they do. But they definitely do not give the very precise chamfers that I am thinking of.

Comment

I think you are going to have to buy a CNC to get what you want.

How to become a millionaire: Start out with 10 million and take up machining as a hobby!

Comment

"But it won't do the crisp edges and consistent width chamfers being asked for in this thread. That's machining territory."

I have to say BS on that. . A CNC cut edge, no matter what will need some cleaning. Just the way it is. Milling or Turning. For my junk anyway.. S

So yeah, I have to follow up all my edges with a tool. Just the way it is, for me . JR

Comment

Jerry -
                    It is quite clear that no chamfering solution presented here will be satisfactory to you.
                    I think you need to hire the work out to be done. I am thinking the Asian ladies at
                    the nail salon can help you out with their emery boards and small hands.
                    Maybe ask about the additional services to improve your world vision.

-D
                    DZER

Comment

5 pages and still no pictures of these unattainable by human hands chamfers that Jerry wonders about. Maybe if you had a smart phone you could take some pictures of a few examples and easily post them here.......

Comment

Originally posted by Doozer View Post
                        Jerry -
                        It is quite clear that no chamfering solution presented here will be satisfactory to you.
                        I think you need to hire the work out to be done. I am thinking the Asian ladies at
                        the nail salon can help you out with their emery boards and small hands.
                        Maybe ask about the additional services to improve your world vision.

-D
                        I think you are gonna have to take some memory drugs. Or be a little less interested in channeling "Bented"

An idea was posted that as I mentioned, looks good with a bit of modification.

A hint.... it was posted by Genea, and is the best suggestion in this entire thread. It's on the list.
                        Last edited by J Tiers; 01-29-2022, 10:21 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by J Tiers View Post

I think you are gonna have to take some memory drugs. .
                          That is pretty funny considering the content of your signature lines ! Sounds like first hand advise.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparky_NY View Post

That is pretty funny considering the content of your signature lines ! Sounds like first hand advise.
                            Show biz is all about making the audience happy. Looks like I succeeded in your case.

Comment

It's much harder to do one off items. When you are making 100s or 1,000s of items, all the same, you get lots of practice and can set up jigs to make things perfect. The first few imperfect practice ones get trashed.

Comment

Yep. But that Stefan Gotteswinter version looks pretty decent. Set up right, you really can't go to far, so you can just "spark out" and have a good chamfer. and it is much more compact than the other attempts. I like it. I'll be using a Foredom instead of the little die grinder, but that's a different issue.

Comment

Working...
                                X