Setting lathe QCTP tools on centerline

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mikey553 View Post
    I just wanted to help you guys. I guess you cannot teach an old dog new tricks. So stay with your steel rule method.
    To be fair to your original post your method is what I did to find the actual height of my spindle in the first place. And armed with that measurement I made the "shortcut" gauge. Your method is very valid and certainly effective.
    Chilliwack BC, Canada

Comment

Thank you BCRider for your kind words. But this describes only half of the story. I setup my master tool on the centerline and verified it by a trial facing cut. After that I just use an indicator to transfer the height from the master to any other tool. In my opinion it is more universal and more accurate than your gauge.

Comment

Mikey553 It's a great idea. I'm gonna try it, as soon as I can get to the shop.
        Thanks for that, I'm sure others will try it also, just not these guys. They have their own methods that work for them, as we all do for certain things. Again thanks
        Sent by me, without any help from other apps.

Comment

You just made my day!

Comment

Originally posted by mikey553 View Post
            Thank you BCRider for your kind words. But this describes only half of the story. I setup my master tool on the centerline and verified it by a trial facing cut. After that I just use an indicator to transfer the height from the master to any other tool. In my opinion it is more universal and more accurate than your gauge.
            Well there ya go... That's still a good pragmatic shortcut compared to doing the whole initial setup each time. I'm sorry if I missed that step in your original post.

More than once while checking a difficult to set tool I've thought about the idea of a dedicated fixed stand with a cheap dial gauge on it. Some of the tools are hard to get a finger onto the tip of the cutting edge due to the cutter's shape or the way the holder crowds the tip.

Chilliwack BC, Canada

Comment

Working...
            X