Honda Snowblower

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Honda Snowblower

O/T Anybody have one of these Honda HS55? Since we were going to hire snow removal I got rid of my wonderful John Deere snowblower which was a mistake! Looking at one of these but its 1990's era and parts may be hard to get, plus he wants too much money. What do you think?
    Click image for larger version  Name:	269772324_5035187066532119_7852982992873571817_n.jpg Views:	10 Size:	55.1 KB ID:	1981231
    Last edited by wmgeorge; 01-17-2022, 08:55 AM.
    Retired - Journeyman Refrigeration Pipefitter - Master Electrician

Honda engines have a good rep for reliability. Hard to say why they may be selling it, maybe something is about to go out, maybe not. I do like the track instead of wheels, though.
    Kansas City area

Comment

I bought a new one 3 years ago and like it a lot, didn't realize they were being built in the 90's. The new ones are not cheap, what is the asking price?

Comment

Originally posted by Stu View Post
        I bought a new one 3 years ago and like it a lot, didn't realize they were being built in the 90's. The new ones are not cheap, what is the asking price?
        He has it priced at $500 and its an 1 1/2 hour drive one way. This is I think a 5 hp engine and 21 inch pass, a little smaller than my old JD but I just need to clean a small area. Afib and other issues or I would buy the Honda 928 I see also, but that's $2000 used!!
        Retired - Journeyman Refrigeration Pipefitter - Master Electrician

Comment

I managed a dealership and sold honda power equipment back in that era. I doubt if Honda has any spares support for things that old.
          To sum it up, they worked well but were over engineered rubbish in the long term. I'd offer 100 bucks for it, no more

Comment

I’m in Canada and 25 years ago I bought a used Craftsman snowblower that had tracks instead of tires. I have a very long driveway and the usual sidewalks to clear and all I’ve had to do to it is change the oil and replace the little button you push when first starting it. Also grease the other necessary shafts. I paid about $400 back then. Stills working great.

Comment

Had a HS1132, with tracks and hated it. Ran great, threw snow decent, the hydrostatic drive was painfully slow in reverse and I didn't think the tracks added anything special for my use.
              I traded it even up for an Ariens 1336Pro and never looked back.

Comment

Originally posted by paul463 View Post
                Had a HS1132, with tracks and hated it. Ran great, threw snow decent, the hydrostatic drive was painfully slow in reverse and I didn't think the tracks added anything special for my use.
                I traded it even up for an Ariens 1336Pro and never looked back.
                Yes like we all need dual circuit hydrostatic drive for a walk behind snowblower. Yup, over engineered junk. The novelty is real and the breakdowns and complexity are reality.

Comment

Get the model number and call a Honda dealer and ask for specific parts to see
                  if available.
                  The scarper bar is one item. Although probably the most expensive part on
                  the machine, ask about the gears that drive the auger. After that after market
                  will get you 90% of what you need. Been running a repair shop for 30 years.
                  If it is in good shape hardware wise, price is ok to a little high.
                  olf20 / Bob

Comment

I bought an Airens 7hp x 24 for $35 in the summer. I was going to scrap it and use the engine on my log splitter. When I got it home it worked so well I couldn't bear to ruin it. I found a Toro for the same price for the engine. Both had electric start Tecumseh engines. JD is quality but parts would kill you. Find a lightly used one that doesn't need parts. Buy straw hats in winter and snow blower in summer

Comment

Working...
                    X