Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Extending the length of a tap to get to an awkward place?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Doozer View Post
    I do have a set
    of those Lisle sockets. They are super great.
    I bought 1/4" hex adapters for them to use in the
    cordless impact. That is a killer combination for tapping.

-Doozer
    I’ve tapped more holes than I’d like to admit with a drill. Those tap sockets and hex adapters really are the way to go for tapping with a drill.

Comment

Originally posted by MattiJ View Post
      Lisle was difficult to find around here so I opted for banggood/aliexpress/ebay

https://www.banggood.com/Drillpro-M4...p-1603608.html

quality-wise seemed better than I expected and the sping gizmo keeps tap from falling out.
      Those look good and reasonable priced MattiJ,the socket ones I have are Bluepoint.

Comment

Make an extended tap wrench out of one of these maybe? https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/202959412...3ABFBMnr_Yxc1f
        All of the gear, no idea...

Comment

Originally posted by BCRider View Post

Along that line in a pinch where I just wanted to get the job done I'd use the lathe to drill a hole that was maybe .02 to .025 smaller than the across the points dimension in some mild steel rod. Then while gripping the tap in some alloy padded jaws in the vise drive the rod onto the square. The tap would self broach and press fit itself deeply enough to get the job done. After it was done a few taps on the outside of the extension over the flats would "square oval" the rod by enough that the tap would drop out.

It's crude doing it that way but quick. And you don't need to go shopping or wait for any delivery.
          Under 1/4" this is how I do it!! Takes about 5 minutes to make this extension...... and its NOT crude.

Comment

I would bore a press fit for the round part of the shank in a piece of round bar and press the tap into it or buy a pulley tap. If you do the hole in the lathe it will be very close to dead straight. Should be able to cut the rod off to get at the hole and press the tap back out, it is a one time job

Comment

Drill a hole in the end of a rod. Loctite the tap in the hole.

Comment

For sizes 1/4" on down I have used that square brass tubing from K&N hobby metals. I find one size to fit the tap shank and then the next larger size slides over the outside to reinforce it. Works fine and is reuseable. Also fits a standard T-handle tap wrench to drive it.
                I just need one more tool,just one!

Comment

Working...
                X