Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Large brass brazing rods

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Large brass brazing rods

    I have about 40- 5/16 brazing rods that I dont know what to do with. I do not want to sell them because shipping would be terrible. They are heavy. I am just looking for a use for them. Was wondering what you guys would do with them. I used to rebuild aerators with them, but dont do that anymore. Think about it. Help

  • #2
    Ship them in this from USPS: https://store.usps.com/store/product...1098-P_O_1098M

    Comment


    • #3
      You could cut them into 1' lengths and sell them to home shop machinists, makers, DIYers, etc. If you charged $5 a foot, you would be under the going rate for brass. McMaster-Carr is getting $21+ for a 3 ft. piece of 5/16 brass rod. For anyone with a lathe, brass is a handy item to have on hand.
      Kansas City area

      Comment


      • #4
        Years ago my dad donated some to the high school for their foundry.

        Comment


        • #5
          Those "brazing" rods are bronze. Or That's what I've always been told
          I cut it off twice; it's still too short
          Oregon, USA

          Comment


          • #6
            Silicon bronze is fairly ubiquitous for brazing,
            mark


            Comment


            • #7
              That's a pretty handy material to have in the shop. I found welding rods to be the cheapest way to buy brass (or whatever the alloy is). My supply is almost gone, but I'd buy it like that again. I came up with a jig to knock off the flux- worked well and didn't take long. I even thought of saving the flux, but I didn't. Sometimes certain materials are hard to come by, so I do what I have to do.
              I seldom do anything within the scope of logical reason and calculated cost/benefit, etc- I'm following my passion-

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by welderskelter View Post
                I have about 40- 5/16 brazing rods that I dont know what to do with. I do not want to sell them because shipping would be terrible. ...
                UPS Simple Rate is based upon volume only. Starting at <100 cu in for $9.45. A package 37" long by 1-5/8 square is 100 cu in & would hold about 25 rods. I'm pretty sure that there's no maximum dimension. https://www.ups.com/us/en/support/sh...-shipping.page

                Comment


                • #9
                  Brass is pretty much useless as an engineering material.
                  At least bronze you can make bushings out of that will take
                  a load greater than a hamster wheel.
                  And at least in my shop, stock less than 1/2" is pretty much
                  useless. I actually prefer to stock 5/8" and up.
                  Nothing I make that is round is 5/16", like never ever in
                  all these years. But I work on real size stuff.
                  Not table clocks and poppy cocks.
                  Best use them as brazing rod as intended I would opine.
                  And why are you home shop guys obsessed with brass?
                  I get a chubby over 1144 or 4130. But never brass.
                  May be all a mini lathe can take ? ? ?
                  Who remembers making brass candlesticks at the
                  Henry Ford on that Brown Sharpe #00 ?



                  --Doozer
                  DZER

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by Doozer View Post
                    Brass is pretty much useless as an engineering material.
                    At least bronze you can make bushings out of that will take
                    a load greater than a hamster wheel.
                    And at least in my shop, stock less than 1/2" is pretty much
                    useless. I actually prefer to stock 5/8" and up.
                    Nothing I make that is round is 5/16", like never ever in
                    all these years. But I work on real size stuff.
                    Not table clocks and poppy cocks.
                    Best use them as brazing rod as intended I would opine.
                    And why are you home shop guys obsessed with brass?
                    I get a chubby over 1144 or 4130. But never brass.
                    May be all a mini lathe can take ? ? ?
                    Who remembers making brass candlesticks at the
                    Henry Ford on that Brown Sharpe #00 ?



                    --Doozer
                    And yet thousands of pieces of 5/16 x 12 have been sold on eBay. There is a big market for it.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Probably making ball point pens out of them
                      or some other time wasting activity.

                      -D
                      DZER

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by Doozer View Post
                        Probably making ball point pens out of them
                        or some other time wasting activity.

                        -D
                        And God himself has spoken.
                        Why don’t you just pass on by without having to offer your arrogant opinions?

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Because then you would be my therapist and I would have to pay you
                          for explaining my reasons why.

                          -D
                          DZER

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by Doozer View Post
                            Brass is pretty much useless as an engineering material.
                            At least bronze you can make bushings out of that will take
                            a load greater than a hamster wheel.
                            And at least in my shop, stock less than 1/2" is pretty much
                            useless. I actually prefer to stock 5/8" and up.
                            Nothing I make that is round is 5/16", like never ever in
                            all these years. But I work on real size stuff.
                            Not table clocks and poppy cocks.
                            Best use them as brazing rod as intended I would opine.
                            And why are you home shop guys obsessed with brass?
                            I get a chubby over 1144 or 4130. But never brass.
                            May be all a mini lathe can take ? ? ?
                            Who remembers making brass candlesticks at the
                            Henry Ford on that Brown Sharpe #00 ?



                            --Doozer
                            Brass is pretty useless stuff. I did do a job for a customer that was 5/16"raw stock, approximately 6" long and fully turned. In hindsight, I was way too cheap. In general, I agree with you, but you don't have to be so heavy handed about it. I think Clicksprings work with the Antikythera mechanism, or just clocks in general is very valid.
                            21" Royersford Excelsior CamelBack Drillpress Restoration
                            1943 Sidney 16x54 Lathe Restoration

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by welderskelter View Post
                              I have about 40- 5/16 brazing rods that I dont know what to do with. I do not want to sell them because shipping would be terrible. They are heavy. I am just looking for a use for them. Was wondering what you guys would do with them. I used to rebuild aerators with them, but dont do that anymore. Think about it. Help
                              Very nice. I can braze just about anything, of metal .. No really. The rod you have is of a good diameter. Very usueable. JR

                              I mentioned the size of the filler because it matters..

                              5/16" is a good size, not too small.. It is a lil larger, thats a good thing. Thats all,,, JR

                              Not quite. When I weld or braze I ramp the temps through the roof. Thats how I weld. Temps up to 10 thank you. TIG, MIG, Braze, Gas, JR
                              Last edited by JRouche; 01-18-2022, 01:47 AM.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X