Cast Iron Alloys

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mikey553 View Post

They also had an express-analysis lab onsite to control the chemistry.. That may be fine for most of their products, but I would not trust such a foundry for seriously loaded parts.
    Well the thing is, I am a chemist nerd also. Yeah, liquid metal is chemistry. What do they call them fancy pants guys? Oh, metallurgist (wanna be) .

I like what they are doing Mike. I like both companies to be honest. JR

Comment

Originally posted by nickel-city-fab View Post

I can only say that the castings I received in his kits were of absolutely amazing quality, and well worth the price. Quite possibly some of the best castings I've ever seen.
      Did I miss some good staff? Who is Andy and what casting kits are you talking about?

Comment

Did I miss some good staff? Who is Andy and what casting kits are you talking about?
        That would be Andy Lofquist, who owns and operates Metal Lathe Accessories. They supply a line of castings to make your own tooling. www.mlatoolbox.com

This is where I got my die filer kit when I did the "mla-18 die filer" build thread. https://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net/fo...filing-machine
        Last edited by nickel-city-fab; 01-22-2022, 09:33 AM.
        25 miles north of Buffalo NY, USA

Comment

That would be Andy Lofquist, who owns and operates Metal Lathe Accessories. They supply a line of castings to make your own tooling. Www.mlatoolbox.com

This is where I got my die filer kit when I did the "mla-18 die filer" build thread.
          He really needs to hire someone to update his website and take some better pictures that are in color and show some different views.

Comment

ASTM A278 standard for pressure-containing castings specifies these classes of gray iron: 20, 25, 30, 35, 40, 45, 50, 55, 60, where the class number represents the minimum tensile strength of the material. We have used class 40 castings at work for many years, they are very good.

I am sure there are other material standards for gray iron, but I don't have them. Ask the foundry what classes of gray iron do they pour and decide for yourself what you need.
            I prefer ASTM class 50.5 iron for machine components subject to vibration in use. 35.8 iron is suitable for lathe component use that are not directly effected by harmonics such as handwheels and levers.

Comment

That would be Andy Lofquist, who owns and operates Metal Lathe Accessories. They supply a line of castings to make your own tooling. www.mlatoolbox.com

This is where I got my die filer kit when I did the "mla-18 die filer" build thread. https://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net/fo...filing-machine
              Thanks for the info. A lot of interesting staff and not too far away from me...

Comment

Working...
              X