Set up question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Set up question

I need to accurately bore a hole in this packing but cannot come up with a good way to hold it.
    Ideas?
    Attached Files

No idea what are you asking about. The first picture looks like a hammer with a rubber pad, the other two - who knows. If it is a rubber part you need to make a hole in, you should just say so. Make a good description if you want good answers.

Comment

That's a rubber (or leather) cup seal for a hydraulic application. Looks like it needs a hole to attach
      it to the rod.

I don't think the hole needs to be deadly accurate. I'd clamp a piece of doweling in a vise and slip the
      cup over it so it's well supported. Mark out the hole as accurately as possible and then use a gasket
      hole punch to put the hole in.

If you don't have a punch then you could try clamping the cup to the end of the dowel (to hold it more
      solidly) and drilling a hole. A drill bit isn't likely to leave you with a nice clean hole, however...
      Keith

Comment

If its a cup washer you are making, chuck a piece of steel, and bore it till the rubber item is a stiff push fit in the bore. Then bore the washer to required size.
        'It may not always be the best policy to do what is best technically, but those responsible for policy can never form a right judgement without knowledge of what is right technically' - 'Dutch' Kindelberger

Comment

+1 Gasket punch.

-D
          DZER

Comment

Or, lacking a gasket punch, a piece of tubing of the right OD and chamfered incannel, then spin it in a chuck against the cup over a dowel.

DanK
            DanK

Comment

Great input guys, thank you!

Comment

Working...
              X