Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Been Noticing Something About My Chuck

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #46
    I used way oil on the scroll and jaws, just have to remember to stand to one side first time you spin the chuck up after oiling it I'd never use grease in the business end of a chuck, that's just asking for crap to accumulate there and wear/ jam things up.

    Comment


    • #47
      Removed the back plate. Some swarf did manage to get between the chuck and back plate.

      Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG-20220124-125051.jpg Views:	0 Size:	309.4 KB ID:	1982601

      In this pic you can see two of the four set screws for centering, they are 90 deg. apart. I'll know more later today.

      Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG-20220124-125211-1.jpg Views:	0 Size:	220.5 KB ID:	1982602

      JL.......................
      Last edited by JoeLee; 01-24-2022, 01:34 PM.

      Comment


      • #48
        Why do some of you think that oil of any sort won't hold swarf while grease is the devil's lube? Oil, particularly heavy ways oil, is going to hold fine swarf in place just as well as grease. PLUS still be flung out until most of it is gone leaving the thinnest of films..

        A finely spread out small amount of grease to where there is no noticeable build but the surfaces look slightly shiny and feel greasy is going to do the job just as well without being any more sticky to the swarf as oil. And it's more polite in that it will stay put.
        Chilliwack BC, Canada

        Comment


        • #49
          That is pretty normal swarf ingress, the stuff gets into the smallest gaps. You need to closely inspect the scroll and the bevel gear plus pinion teeth for tiny bits stuck on.

          Comment


          • #50
            Originally posted by old mart View Post
            That is pretty normal swarf ingress, the stuff gets into the smallest gaps. You need to closely inspect the scroll and the bevel gear plus pinion teeth for tiny bits stuck on.
            And there's always gaps. Three additional ones in this case compared to what most of us have. The gap on the rear of the jaws where the jaw teeth have to pass is never a tight fit. Any time we bore through and get chips out the back of a short part we have a good chance of chips being flung out into the works through those gaps.
            Chilliwack BC, Canada

            Comment


            • #51
              Sorry, had to make a correction. Those are not the pinion shafts, they are two of the four set screws for aligning.

              JL...............

              Comment


              • #52
                Originally posted by old mart View Post
                That is pretty normal swarf ingress, the stuff gets into the smallest gaps. You need to closely inspect the scroll and the bevel gear plus pinion teeth for tiny bits stuck on.
                Yes, there is a small gap between the back plate and the back of the chuck.

                JL...............

                Comment


                • #53
                  Originally posted by BCRider View Post

                  And there's always gaps. Three additional ones in this case compared to what most of us have. The gap on the rear of the jaws where the jaw teeth have to pass is never a tight fit. Any time we bore through and get chips out the back of a short part we have a good chance of chips being flung out into the works through those gaps.
                  If your talking the gap on the OD side of the chuck how do chips get forced in there when the chuck is spinning??

                  JL............

                  Comment


                  • #54
                    Crap has a way of getting into places where you don't want it, that's why all lathe makers advise against using an airline to blow the swarf off.

                    Comment


                    • #55
                      Originally posted by old mart View Post
                      Crap has a way of getting into places where you don't want it, that's why all lathe makers advise against using an airline to blow the swarf off.
                      I never blow swarf off any of my machines. Chip brushes and vacuum only. If I blow parts off it's out side.

                      JL.................

                      Comment


                      • #56
                        One way to stop the swarf from getting into the gap might be to sit an o ring in there. As long as it can squash slightly as the parts go together and you glue it in place to one half, it would work. The downside of that is there are so many other tiny gaps that cannot be sealed.

                        Comment


                        • #57
                          Separated the chuck. Bison makes it easy with the threaded holes on the back to evenly separate the halves using the SHCS from the front. I've seen vids of guys hammering at the seam with chisels and screw drivers.
                          Apparently not all chuck mfg.'s include this feature. Sure makes it easy.

                          Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG-20220124-141500-1.jpg Views:	0 Size:	195.6 KB ID:	1982645

                          Pretty clean inside. Nothing got past the ground mating surfaces. Notice the alignment pin on the top right of the first picture. Can't mess up putting it together.

                          Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG-20220124-142052-2.jpg Views:	0 Size:	369.9 KB ID:	1982646

                          Gears are clean but look to be lacking grease.

                          Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG-20220124-142130-1.jpg Views:	0 Size:	273.5 KB ID:	1982647

                          Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG-20220124-142237-1.jpg Views:	0 Size:	255.2 KB ID:	1982648

                          Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG-20220124-144703-1.jpg Views:	0 Size:	296.9 KB ID:	1982649

                          JL.................

                          Comment


                          • #58
                            Have fun getting every spec of muck off the chuck parts. That is a very good advert for Bison it is beautifully made, impressive. No screws holding the key pinions in, just semi circlips. It looks like the visible swarf cannot penetrate the moving parts so you can only clean everything and hope for a result.

                            Comment


                            • #59
                              Originally posted by old mart View Post
                              Have fun getting every spec of muck off the chuck parts. That is a very good advert for Bison it is beautifully made, impressive. No screws holding the key pinions in, just semi circlips. It looks like the visible swarf cannot penetrate the moving parts so you can only clean everything and hope for a result.
                              Parts washer.............. There won't be a speck of crud left when I'm done.

                              JL..............

                              Comment


                              • #60
                                Has there been any sign of what was causing the heavy wear pattern on jaw #3?
                                At the end of the project, there is a profound difference between spare parts and left over parts.

                                Location: SF East Bay.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X