Been Noticing Something About My Chuck

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by danlb View Post
    Has there been any sign of what was causing the heavy wear pattern on jaw #3?
    No, nothing that I can see. All I can think of is a piece of swarf got stuck in there at one time and rubbed the blue off that one tooth. It doesn't look to have any more wear than any of the other teeth.

I'll inspect everything closer tomorrow after I clean everything.

JL.............

Comment

When the parts have been cleaned, inspect the flanks of the teeth and scroll with a magnifying glass.
      I know that Bison kit is well made, I picked up a nos 100mm vise of theirs which matched the one we already had at the museum. They were about 10 years different ages, but when I ckecked the heights, they were only 0.0005" different.
      Last edited by old mart; 01-25-2022, 08:06 AM.

Comment

Just curious about what seems to have been chewing the tops of the outer ends of the teeth on the scroll?
        'It may not always be the best policy to do what is best technically, but those responsible for policy can never form a right judgement without knowledge of what is right technically' - 'Dutch' Kindelberger

Comment

Originally posted by Richard P Wilson View Post
          Just curious about what seems to have been chewing the tops of the outer ends of the teeth on the scroll?
          I think it is just grease, we will know soon when the scroll is cleaned.

Comment

I don't think Bison chucks are a kit.
            They come fully assembled.

-D
            DZER

Comment

Originally posted by Richard P Wilson View Post
              I thought that too when I first opened it up. It's just where the grease collected. The edges of the teeth are clean and smooth. Looking at the pics I would think that too.

JL...............

Comment

Here it is cleaned up and ready for assembly.
                I don't know where that ding came from on the pinion collar. Must be a mfg. / assembly line wound. You can see the edges of the teeth look good. If the edges were ground up like they appeard in the other photo I'm sure I would have felt it.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-20220125-121848.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	165.5 KB
ID:	1982823

Name:	IMG-20220125-121856.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	160.7 KB
ID:	1982824

Name:	IMG-20220125-121919.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	177.6 KB
ID:	1982825

Notice the heat treat areas at the ends of the jaw slots.

Name:	IMG-20220125-121905.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	243.5 KB
ID:	1982826

And the heat treating around the center where the scroll bearing surface is.

Name:	IMG-20220125-122151.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	265.6 KB
ID:	1982827

I would love to tour the factory and watch the machining stages of these chucks. The grinding wheel marks on the inside look to be about 1" in dia or so. The swirls are so evenly spaced.

JL................

Comment

If you want I can run over to Poland and have a look! Maybe even take pictures if it is allowed. Of course you have to pay for my expenses but I won't charge you for my time! What a guy!

How to become a millionaire: Start out with 10 million and take up machining as a hobby!

Comment

I wonder if the colours are from local induction hardening?

Comment

Originally posted by JoeLee View Post
                      If your talking the gap on the OD side of the chuck how do chips get forced in there when the chuck is spinning??

JL............
                      Not the OD edges. The ID edges. The jaws pass down into the center bore. Run the jaws out until they are just sticking into the inner bore and look at the gap at the back of the jaws where the scroll riding teeth fit into a nice big gap. Each of the jaws has a nice wide clearance groove where the scroll riding teeth can run into the bore ID for turning small items. And any boring or even just pass thru drilling puts a surprising amount of swarf into the bore of the chuck where it is held to the wall of the bore and can spin cycle it's way into those scroll teeth gaps and into the body of the chuck.

Frankly it's a wonder that any scroll style chuck works as well as it does for as long as it does. The only thing working in our favor is the self wiping action. I know that on my 3 jaw I'll feel a bump in the key rotation and after a time or two past that same point the bump is gone. the swarf that caused it having either been turned into angstom thick foil or finally pushed out of the way.
                      Chilliwack BC, Canada

Comment

Originally posted by Black Forest View Post
                        If you want I can run over to Poland and have a look! Maybe even take pictures if it is allowed. Of course you have to pay for my expenses but I won't charge you for my time! What a guy!
                        that would be great but maybe they have a video of their production line.

JL.................

Comment

Originally posted by old mart View Post
                          I wonder if the colours are from local induction hardening?
                          More than likely to be controlled as they are. I don't think you could get that precise in a confined area with a flame.

JL.................

Comment

Originally posted by BCRider View Post

Not the OD edges. The ID edges. The jaws pass down into the center bore. Run the jaws out until they are just sticking into the inner bore and look at the gap at the back of the jaws where the scroll riding teeth fit into a nice big gap. Each of the jaws has a nice wide clearance groove where the scroll riding teeth can run into the bore ID for turning small items. And any boring or even just pass thru drilling puts a surprising amount of swarf into the bore of the chuck where it is held to the wall of the bore and can spin cycle it's way into those scroll teeth gaps and into the body of the chuck.

Frankly it's a wonder that any scroll style chuck works as well as it does for as long as it does. The only thing working in our favor is the self wiping action. I know that on my 3 jaw I'll feel a bump in the key rotation and after a time or two past that same point the bump is gone. the swarf that caused it having either been turned into angstom thick foil or finally pushed out of the way.
                            I don't believe so, at least not on this chuck. Once the scroll is in there that opening is sealed off on the ID and OD of the scroll. Stuff can get under the space between the jaws but not behind the scroll. I think that's what your talking about. It was spotless inside.

JL............

Comment

that would be great but maybe they have a video of their production line.

JL.................
                              No. There are no videos anywhere. When should I leave? If I leave now though it could be bad for me with the container sitting in front of my shop. The wife and daughter might get a little too inspired to help me out while I am gone. On second thought you need to go yourself.

How to become a millionaire: Start out with 10 million and take up machining as a hobby!

Comment

I don't believe so, at least not on this chuck. Once the scroll is in there that opening is sealed off on the ID and OD of the scroll. Stuff can get under the space between the jaws but not behind the scroll. I think that's what your talking about. It was spotless inside.

JL............
                                Not behind the scroll plate into the pinion area like you're suggesting. There might be some thinner flakes that might get around the inner or outer edges but I'm just thinking mostly swarf in the scroll side.
                                Chilliwack BC, Canada

Comment

Working...
                                X