No announcement yet.

Been Noticing Something About My Chuck

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Its always the scroll and the teeth on the jaws that get 99% of the muck, but it is difficult to clean those parts without dismantling the chuck. I have etched the jaw slot numbers on the od of the body on some of my chucks to make it easier to change the jaws. You won't need to with master and top jaws although they should be paired.
    Last edited by old mart; 01-25-2022, 04:43 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Black Forest View Post

No. There are no videos anywhere. When should I leave? If I leave now though it could be bad for me with the container sitting in front of my shop. The wife and daughter might get a little too inspired to help me out while I am gone. On second thought you need to go yourself.
      I wouldn't think so. those machines and their process are kept secret so off shore mfg.'s don't copy them.

JL..............

Comment

Originally posted by old mart View Post
        Its always the scroll and the teeth on the jaws that get 99% of the muck, but it is difficult to clean those parts without dismantling the chuck. I have etched the jaw slot numbers on the od of the body on some of my chucks to make it easier to change the jaws. You won't need to with master and top jaws although they should be paired.
        The two piece jaws are both numbered. I've never had the need to reverse them. In my post #41, 5th picture shows the 4 digit number on each.

JL..................

Comment

Got it all assembled this afternoon. Tried it out on some various size pieces of stock. No sticking when breaking loose. Left one piece locked up for over an hour. Came back and it broke loose with minimal force. I guess lack of grease on the ring and pinions was the problem.
          When I turn the chuck key I can hear the grease snapping and popping between the gear teeth. Should be good for another 12 years.
          Tomorrow I'll dial it in and check the run out with a few different diameter gage pins.

JL..............

Comment

Semi-pro tip....... Don't wait the whole 12 years.

By then it will be more worn, and may "leak swarf" more.
            4357 2773 5647 3671 3645 0087 1276

CNC machines only go through the motions

"There's no pleasing these serpents"......Lewis Carroll

Comment

Originally posted by J Tiers View Post
              Semi-pro tip....... Don't wait the whole 12 years.

By then it will be more worn, and may "leak swarf" more.
              I'll keep that in mind. But you know what the old rule is..
              If if it ain't broke don't fix it.

JL.....

Comment

Originally posted by JoeLee View Post

JL.....
                The correct quote for HSMers is "if it ain't broke, fix it 'til it is".

-js
                There are no stupid questions. But there are lots of stupid answers. This is the internet.

Comment

Originally posted by JoeLee View Post

JL.....
                  Sorry, I'm still going to keep oiling the machines before I actually hear the metal grating against metal.......(that would be when it's "broke"). "Preventive maintenance" is a thing..........
                  4357 2773 5647 3671 3645 0087 1276

CNC machines only go through the motions

"There's no pleasing these serpents"......Lewis Carroll

Comment

Great to hear a positive result, all the cleaning was worth it.

Comment

Originally posted by old mart View Post
                      Great to hear a positive result, all the cleaning was worth it.
                      Yes, it was worth it and wasn't a difficult job.
                      I indicated the chuck in today using a 1" gage pin. I got the run out down to .0001. taking the pin in and out of the chuck it repeats within .00015 to .00025
                      Went down to a .500 gage pin and get .0003 run out. Repeatability is about the same. I would like to check it at around 2" in dia. but don't have anything precision ground at that size. I would have to make something. I could take a piece of 2" bar stock and grind a couple inches of it to use for testing.

JL..............

Comment

Working...
                      X