X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• JoeLee
    replied
    Originally posted by old mart View Post
    Great to hear a positive result, all the cleaning was worth it.
    Yes, it was worth it and wasn't a difficult job.
    I indicated the chuck in today using a 1" gage pin. I got the run out down to .0001. taking the pin in and out of the chuck it repeats within .00015 to .00025
    Went down to a .500 gage pin and get .0003 run out. Repeatability is about the same. I would like to check it at around 2" in dia. but don't have anything precision ground at that size. I would have to make something. I could take a piece of 2" bar stock and grind a couple inches of it to use for testing.

JL..............

Leave a comment:

• old mart
    replied
    Great to hear a positive result, all the cleaning was worth it.

Leave a comment:

• J Tiers
    replied
    Originally posted by JoeLee View Post

I'll keep that in mind. But you know what the old rule is..
    If if it ain't broke don't fix it.

JL.....
    Sorry, I'm still going to keep oiling the machines before I actually hear the metal grating against metal.......(that would be when it's "broke"). "Preventive maintenance" is a thing..........

Leave a comment:

• Jim Stewart
    replied

JL.....
    The correct quote for HSMers is "if it ain't broke, fix it 'til it is".

-js

Leave a comment:

• JoeLee
    replied
    Originally posted by J Tiers View Post
    Semi-pro tip....... Don't wait the whole 12 years.

By then it will be more worn, and may "leak swarf" more.

JL.....

Leave a comment:

• J Tiers
    replied
    Semi-pro tip....... Don't wait the whole 12 years.

By then it will be more worn, and may "leak swarf" more.

Leave a comment:

• JoeLee
    replied
    Got it all assembled this afternoon. Tried it out on some various size pieces of stock. No sticking when breaking loose. Left one piece locked up for over an hour. Came back and it broke loose with minimal force. I guess lack of grease on the ring and pinions was the problem.
    When I turn the chuck key I can hear the grease snapping and popping between the gear teeth. Should be good for another 12 years.
    Tomorrow I'll dial it in and check the run out with a few different diameter gage pins.

JL..............

Leave a comment:

• JoeLee
    replied
    Its always the scroll and the teeth on the jaws that get 99% of the muck, but it is difficult to clean those parts without dismantling the chuck. I have etched the jaw slot numbers on the od of the body on some of my chucks to make it easier to change the jaws. You won't need to with master and top jaws although they should be paired.
    The two piece jaws are both numbered. I've never had the need to reverse them. In my post #41, 5th picture shows the 4 digit number on each.

JL..................

Leave a comment:

• JoeLee
    replied
    Originally posted by Black Forest View Post

No. There are no videos anywhere. When should I leave? If I leave now though it could be bad for me with the container sitting in front of my shop. The wife and daughter might get a little too inspired to help me out while I am gone. On second thought you need to go yourself.
    I wouldn't think so. those machines and their process are kept secret so off shore mfg.'s don't copy them.

JL..............

Leave a comment:

• old mart
    replied
    Its always the scroll and the teeth on the jaws that get 99% of the muck, but it is difficult to clean those parts without dismantling the chuck. I have etched the jaw slot numbers on the od of the body on some of my chucks to make it easier to change the jaws. You won't need to with master and top jaws although they should be paired.
    Last edited by old mart; 01-25-2022, 04:43 PM.

Leave a comment:

• BCRider
    replied
    I don't believe so, at least not on this chuck. Once the scroll is in there that opening is sealed off on the ID and OD of the scroll. Stuff can get under the space between the jaws but not behind the scroll. I think that's what your talking about. It was spotless inside.

JL............
    Not behind the scroll plate into the pinion area like you're suggesting. There might be some thinner flakes that might get around the inner or outer edges but I'm just thinking mostly swarf in the scroll side.

Leave a comment:

• Black Forest
    replied
    that would be great but maybe they have a video of their production line.

JL.................
    No. There are no videos anywhere. When should I leave? If I leave now though it could be bad for me with the container sitting in front of my shop. The wife and daughter might get a little too inspired to help me out while I am gone. On second thought you need to go yourself.

Leave a comment:

• JoeLee
    replied
    Originally posted by BCRider View Post

Not the OD edges. The ID edges. The jaws pass down into the center bore. Run the jaws out until they are just sticking into the inner bore and look at the gap at the back of the jaws where the scroll riding teeth fit into a nice big gap. Each of the jaws has a nice wide clearance groove where the scroll riding teeth can run into the bore ID for turning small items. And any boring or even just pass thru drilling puts a surprising amount of swarf into the bore of the chuck where it is held to the wall of the bore and can spin cycle it's way into those scroll teeth gaps and into the body of the chuck.

Frankly it's a wonder that any scroll style chuck works as well as it does for as long as it does. The only thing working in our favor is the self wiping action. I know that on my 3 jaw I'll feel a bump in the key rotation and after a time or two past that same point the bump is gone. the swarf that caused it having either been turned into angstom thick foil or finally pushed out of the way.
    I don't believe so, at least not on this chuck. Once the scroll is in there that opening is sealed off on the ID and OD of the scroll. Stuff can get under the space between the jaws but not behind the scroll. I think that's what your talking about. It was spotless inside.

JL............

Leave a comment:

• JoeLee
    replied
    I wonder if the colours are from local induction hardening?
    More than likely to be controlled as they are. I don't think you could get that precise in a confined area with a flame.

JL.................

Leave a comment:

• JoeLee
    replied
    Originally posted by Black Forest View Post
    If you want I can run over to Poland and have a look! Maybe even take pictures if it is allowed. Of course you have to pay for my expenses but I won't charge you for my time! What a guy!
    that would be great but maybe they have a video of their production line.

JL.................

Leave a comment:

Working...
X