What were they thinking: T-handle tap wrench

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What were they thinking: T-handle tap wrench

I have 2 T-handle tap wrenches that I took the handles off of & chuck them in my drill press for power tapping. EXCEPT the largest one, that is supposed to handle taps up to 1/2" is just a bit too small. 0.025 small. Why did they do that? Could it have saved them any money? It's not metric vs imperial as the few large metric taps that I have don't fit either.

It's not just my wrench - a sampling of the wrenches on Amazon show the same problem in the reviews. Some of them don't say - I suppose that I could start buying those & return the ones that are too small.

Of course, I'm not talking about the Starretts & other much-more-expensive ones. Does one have to pay the Starrett price for a wrench that's 0.025 larger?

My work around was to grind all those too-big taps down 0.025.

I'm pretty sure tap handles are specified for the distance across corners they can accommodate and not the size tap they'll handle. You need a larger handle.

Comment

I've used a lot of different taps and there sure doesn't seem to be much consistency in the
      sizes of the shanks and squares--they can be all over the place. Besides, if you're power
      tapping why are you using the tap handle any way? Just stick the tap in a regular drill chuck
      and go for it...
      Keith

Comment

Originally posted by LKeithR View Post
        ... Besides, if you're power
        tapping why are you using the tap handle any way? Just stick the tap in a regular drill chuck
        and go for it...
        Because the tap is too hard for the chuck to get a good grip.

Comment

There are tap adapters for use in a drill chuck. You need a 3/8" square socket adapter with a 1/4" hex to go with it.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/29374840768...cAAOSwvmphhihv

https://www.ebay.com/itm/40342002224...AAAOSwTWRh6Gwl
          Kansas City area

Comment

I'm thinking that maybe it's a matter of quality control: the wrenches are designed to hold 1/2" taps, but the factory isn't doing it. Here's a close up:

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_2766.jpg Views:	0 Size:	100.8 KB ID:	1981913

You can see that it's drilled and slit, creating corners to hold the tap. It's hard to see, but the corners are smushed down a little. If the smushing was done at the factory, to make the corners less pointy, then that op would determine the maximum size that could be held. The drilling & slitting would be easy to keep tolerances.

Yeah, I know - it looks really ****ty. I think it's an entry-level Enco wrench.
            Last edited by Bob Engelhardt; 01-20-2022, 05:44 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Engelhardt View Post

Which is a good thing. I tap through holes with a spiral point tap in a Jacobs chuck. If the tap jams it doesn't break.

-js
              There are no stupid questions. But there are lots of stupid answers. This is the internet.

Comment

Originally posted by Toolguy View Post
                There are tap adapters for use in a drill chuck. ...
                https://www.ebay.com/itm/29374840768...cAAOSwvmphhihv... [Irwin holder]
                If only the adapter would actually hold a 1/2" tap. Amazon reviews for the Irwin T-handle wrench complain about a 1/2" tap not fitting.

Comment

Originally posted by Jim Stewart View Post

Which is a good thing. I tap through holes with a spiral point tap in a Jacobs chuck. If the tap jams it doesn't break.

-js
                  I guess that I've been lucky (so far) & haven't broken any taps using the T-handle body. Of course I do have the VFD bottomed out at 5Hz, so there isn't much torque available.

Comment

If only the adapter would actually hold a 1/2" tap. Amazon reviews for the Irwin T-handle wrench complain about a 1/2" tap not fitting.
                    I just went and checked mine. A 9/16 tap easily fits, a 5/8 not quite. I have used 1/2" taps in mine (the larger one) lots of times. A T handle wrench is something different.
                    Kansas City area

Comment

I usually use a tap wrench like this for larger sizes:

Click image for larger version

Name:	61c9WfVMn8L._AC_SL1500_.jpg
Views:	314
Size:	36.5 KB
ID:	1981924

1/4" to 3/4". About $26. Many more on Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/large-Tap-Wre...rge+Tap+Wrench
                      http://pauleschoen.com/pix/PM08_P76_P54.png
                      Paul , P S Technology, Inc. and MrTibbs
                      USA Maryland 21030

Comment

Kind of hard to use that in a cordless drill, drill press or mill spindle.
                        Kansas City area

Comment

Really? I do it all the time. Anything 5/8" and smaller is easy. Larger taps will usually slip
                          but they're relatively easy to hand tap anyway. You just need a good chuck--like a Jacobs
                          16N and you're good to go...
                          Keith

Comment

Originally posted by LKeithR View Post

... You just need a good chuck--like a Jacobs
                            16N and you're good to go...
                            $300 & up. I'll put one on the list.

Comment

Can you spring open the jaws enough to file the flats?
                              Alternatively, seek out a better quality tap wrench at a tag or garage sale. estate sale, flea market or swap meet.

Comment

Working...
                              X