No announcement yet.

Cheapo slitting saw

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It worked pretty good for a while on steel then it started spitting teeth. I took it out hammered it flat and ground the rest of the carnage off. Went real slow and finished the job.

Comment

Originally posted by true temper View Post
      It worked pretty good for a while on steel then it started spitting teeth. I took it out hammered it flat and ground the rest of the carnage off. Went real slow and finished the job.
      Well that explains it. I was wondering how it got so hacked up on one side. You could always bring it back and tell them it didn't work.

JL.....

Comment

I'd run those slower, but with some more feed. That is SOP with a horizontal mill, but seems to get forgotten with a vertical mill...... and some of them just will not GO slower.

If it was spitting teeth, did the silver solder melt? or did they just tear off/out?
        CNC machines only go through the motions

Comment

If it was spitting teeth, did the silver solder melt? or did they just tear off/out?
          Now that is a VERY good question.

I run slitting saws in the CNC, but I do NOT try to do a deep cut. Instead I run multiple passes at 1 mm depth in Al or 0.5 mm depth in steel, and at low feed and low spin. There is a reason. Saws below 0.5 mm thickness are usually treated even more gently.

When I make the first quite shallow pass the blades stays stiff and cuts straight. Just what I want. The second pass is then guided by the first pass, and so on. The whole cut ends up very nice and square. I use an air blast to clear the chips (avoid jamming), but often no lube.

Of course, the other thing with doing it in a CNC is that I can sit back and snooze while it does its multiple passes.🤗

Cheers
          Roger

Comment

Working...
          X