Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

OT: Femoral artery heater for the shop!

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • OT: Femoral artery heater for the shop!

    Sounds crazy doesn't it! I received these heated long underwear for Christmas from my daughter. They use a power pack about the size of a small smart phone. Rechargeable of course. The heating elements are a patch that covers the femoral artery. That is the only location of the heating elements. They work great. No more cold feet or legs while standing at the machines in my unheated shop. Before I used to get cold feet while standing on the cold concrete floors either machining or welding. My legs would get stiff and cold. No more. I am a very happy camper now. They are from the brand Deerhunter. Do you all want me to take a picture and post it of me standing in only my heated long underwear? Or should I ask do you want to pay me not to?
    Location: The Black Forest in Germany

    How to become a millionaire: Start out with 10 million and take up machining as a hobby!

  • #2
    I find that fascinating, wonder where the hot water feed to divers suits is?, generally when I feel a warm sensation below the waist it’s a bad sign, it’s a huge artery close to the surface, makes sense, now , I can’t go out in the cold to be honest my hands freeze,
    mark

    Comment


    • #3
      My old father in law was a farmer and he developed a really bad heart. His feet used to almost freeze when he was down in the barn doing chores. We bought him a pair of battery heated socks, and he said that they were best thing he ever had.---Brian
      Brian Rupnow
      Design engineer
      Barrie, Ontario, Canada

      Comment


      • #4
        That's always been my weak point, I can handle any weather conditions until my feet get cold. Frozen mustache and beard, numb fingers, can't feel my ears? I can normally keep on going, but once my feet get cold I'm done, no going past that.

        Comment


        • #5
          Any chance you can link to the product you're using? There seem to be a variety available; most have pads behind the knees and on the seat area.

          Comment


          • #6
            How long does the battery last?
            The shortest distance between two points is a circle of infinite diameter.

            Bluewater Model Engineering Society at https://sites.google.com/site/bluewatermes/

            Southwestern Ontario. Canada

            Comment


            • #7
              A long time ago a friend convinced me during a miserably cold day deer hunting to take the hand warmers out of my jacket pocket and tuck them into the back waistband of my pants, over my kidneys. Made an immediate and amazing difference in how comfortable I was for the rest of the day. Now when I'm hunting (or working in the unheated garage in the winter) I duct tape two disposable handwarmers to the outside of my t-shirt (or first layer) right over over my kidneys, lasts all day, very comfortable.

              Hadn't thought of the femoral area, makes sense though.
              SE MI, USA

              Comment


              • #8
                Something similar, Army working on keeping hands warm without gloves...

                https://www.popularmechanics.com/tec...arming-device/

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by DrMike View Post
                  A long time ago a friend convinced me during a miserably cold day deer hunting to take the hand warmers out of my jacket pocket and tuck them into the back waistband of my pants, over my kidneys. Made an immediate and amazing difference in how comfortable I was for the rest of the day. Now when I'm hunting (or working in the unheated garage in the winter) I duct tape two disposable handwarmers to the outside of my t-shirt (or first layer) right over over my kidneys, lasts all day, very comfortable.

                  Hadn't thought of the femoral area, makes sense though.
                  I also have gloves and a long arm T-shirt that use batteries. When I have all three on I call myself " Lectroman" If I put the three units on medium or low heat they last for maybe 6 hours. If on high setting 4 hours. Wearing the shirt and long underwear I don't usually wear the gloves. They are not needed.
                  Location: The Black Forest in Germany

                  How to become a millionaire: Start out with 10 million and take up machining as a hobby!

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    I'll have to look for some of those for the wife (and maybe a pair for me). A couple years ago I found the secret to making a woman happy is to simply just keep her warm. Heated blanket, heated gloves, rechargeable heater packs, and this past Christmas I got her a heated vest. She loves them all and uses them all the time. Even this morning at -22 when she had to take the garbage out because I forgot it was garbage day until I got to work. Probably the only reason I will survive tonight is because of that heated vest .

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Here is the link to the long underwear. It will come up in German but it should change to English in a few seconds.

                      https://www.loesdau.de/deerhunter-he...SABEgJZevD_BwE
                      Location: The Black Forest in Germany

                      How to become a millionaire: Start out with 10 million and take up machining as a hobby!

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Thanks for the link. I'm going to buy them for her for Christmas next year. Always nice to put one in the bank so early in the year.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by Dan Dubeau View Post
                          A couple years ago I found the secret to making a woman happy is to simply just keep her warm. .
                          Amen to that. I have recently realized that my wife only has two words to describe her comfort level. If the house is 68, it's cold. If it's 72, it's hot. There is no warm or cool. Every woman I have ever known treated a thermostat like an on-off switch. All the way up until it's too hot, then off.

                          Regarding cold feet in the shop, I have a pair of Sorel 1964 Pac boots that I bought in the mid 70s for snowshoeing and winter camping. I don't do much of the former and none of the latter anymore, but I wear the boots daily during the winter if I'm going to be out in the shop. I've worn out two pairs of liners but the boots just keep going. Nothing else will keep my feet warm when standing on cold concrete. I bought a new pair a few years back, but they're just for fancy dress occasions.

                          It's all mind over matter.
                          If you don't mind, it don't matter.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by MrWhoopee View Post

                            Amen to that. I have recently realized that my wife only has two words to describe her comfort level. If the house is 68, it's cold. If it's 72, it's hot. There is no warm or cool. Every woman I have ever known treated a thermostat like an on-off switch. All the way up until it's too hot, then off.

                            Regarding cold feet in the shop, I have a pair of Sorel 1964 Pac boots that I bought in the mid 70s for snowshoeing and winter camping. I don't do much of the former and none of the latter anymore, but I wear the boots daily during the winter if I'm going to be out in the shop. I've worn out two pairs of liners but the boots just keep going. Nothing else will keep my feet warm when standing on cold concrete. I bought a new pair a few years back, but they're just for fancy dress occasions.
                            I also wear the Sorel Pac boots. I have nearly all my life. They last forever. Now I mostly wear Meindl work boots. Steel toe with special inserts for my feet. They are the most comfortable shoes/boots I have ever worn. Sometimes I will forget and wear them to functions. My wife looks and smiles. She knows how much my feet hurt me these days so she never complains. She is very thankful for all the things I do for her on the farm. I do get some looks from some of the people at these functions in all their finery and me in my hillbilly getup.
                            Location: The Black Forest in Germany

                            How to become a millionaire: Start out with 10 million and take up machining as a hobby!

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              "Femoral artery heater for the shop!" ... sounded like you were heating the shop with your femoral artery.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X