OT: Femoral artery heater for the shop!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Black Forest View Post
    Here is the link to the long underwear. It will come up in German but it should change to English in a few seconds.

https://www.loesdau.de/deerhunter-he...SABEgJZevD_BwE
    It doesn't for me, but there's a "Language" box on the very top line.

I read recently an old saying that "If your feet are cold, put on a hat."

The reason is that when the thermostat in the back of your brain feels cold, it tells the rest of the body to let the brain have more of the total blood supply, since it needs that to keep everything functioning properly. That means that the extremities get less blood, and therefore cool down, the furthest ones fastest.

Big hairy socks are great, but a big hairy beanie pulled well down over the back of your neck will actually keep more of you warm.

Last edited by Mike Burch; 01-21-2022, 11:57 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Engelhardt View Post
      "Femoral artery heater for the shop!" ... sounded like you were heating the shop with your femoral artery.
      You are right. I didn't word the title very well. Sorry.

How to become a millionaire: Start out with 10 million and take up machining as a hobby!

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Burch View Post

It doesn't for me, but there's a "Language" box on the very top line.

I read recently an old saying that "If your feet are cold, put on a hat."

The reason is that when the thermostat in the back of your brain feels cold, it tells the rest of the body to let the brain have more of the total blood supply, since it needs that to keep everything functioning properly. That means that the extremities get less blood, and therefore cool down, the furthest ones fastest.

Big hairy socks are great, but a big hairy beanie pulled well down over the back of your neck will actually keep more of you warm.
        I heard that if you have cold feet you have poor circulation.

JL................

Comment

If you would like to to post a photo, perhaps you could get your daughter to model them, we certainly don't want to see you in them.

Comment

Originally posted by JoeLee View Post
            I heard that if you have cold feet you have poor circulation.

JL................
            A good possibility, but not necessarily. Its easy to get cold feet when ones socks are wet (eg from sweat) and in my area it is in the single-digit temperatures... and my feet still sweat. At work I am on concrete with 40F shop, or outside. I bring extra socks to change into, usually wearing 2 pairs at once. And triple layers of long john waffle-pattern thermals under the levis and carhartts.
            25 miles north of Buffalo NY, USA

Comment

I wish we were like penguins, with countercurrent heat recovery. The femoral artery heater sounds really interesting though, makes alot of sense. I'll add that to the list of "that'd be nice" if I ever live somewhere again where I'm bike riding in low temps.

Comment

femoral artery heater,,,,,,I thought of sitting on the old pot belly stove, I wish I could draw that like a artist !
                For deer hunting, and working in unheated hangars, I had took a old ammo bandolier, cut the band, sewn on some velcro, stuff hand warmer in every other pocket, wrap it around my kidneys zone.
                now, an old bandolier is my most prized warm weather items

Comment

If you don't have nuclear powered Fancy Pants™, I find putting my jeans in the dryer before I go out into the cold is nice

Comment

My sister made me a pair of booties for Christmas about 30 years ago. I don't know what she put in them, but they are so warm my feet sweat in no time.

As far as warming clothes before putting them on, I often use the microwave oven. My latest stunt was when I needed to wash a mask and dry it for use in about ten minutes. Into the microwave- and then I see sparks flying and burn holes appearing. Yes, the nose bridge area has a metal strip in it-

The heated kidney belt- I'm going to remember that. And the thing about wearing a hat- yes I'll be remembering that too. While shoveling snow recently, I donned a toque. I was only out there for 20 minutes at most, but I nearly overheated.

And now, since I've had the electric blanket for a couple months, and like it, I'm going to experiment with the femoral artery heating scheme. As it is now, if I've been sitting for a while my legs get cold- and it takes a while to warm up enough for my feet to feel warm. If I can heat my blood more effectively, that should get me more comfortable in a shorter time.

Here's something funny- at a venue one day a friend comes in and sits down. A short while later he suddenly scrambles to get something out of his pocket. He throws a 9 v battery on the table with a 'holy ****'. Something in his pocket had shorted the battery and it got hot- really hot. I held it in my hand, and it was too hot to hold. I didn't think there was that much energy in one of those.
                    I seldom do anything within the scope of logical reason and calculated cost/benefit, etc- I'm following my passion-

Comment

Back in the day I had a chrome looking thing that I would fill with lighter fluid. It had its own cloth bag to put it in after lighting it. It would last anywhere from 6 to 12 hours and was pretty hot. It was not good to touch the skin without being in that bag or have a cloth layer against the skin.

I went to chem packs and still really like them. The ones for feet come with an adhesive side to stick to a sock by your toes when putting boots or felt packs on. I had an idea for gloves and had a seamstress lady make pouches in my gloves to put the chem packs in. That worked pretty good but the chem packs can't get wet. Now, I have battery heated socks, glove liners, and a battery heated vest. The vest has a rather large heavy battery but lasts a rather long time. The glove liners and socks not so long; maybe 4-6 hours depending on the setting; low, medium, high.Some of the heat panels in the vest are back against the kidneys and work well.

Comment

Oh man. Here I sit, lethargic again- and in need of some warmth. I have a 600 watt heater close enough to touch, but I'm still chilled. Those heated gloves and socks are sounding pretty good right now. We've had a beautiful clear day here today- but of course that means it will get quite cold after sundown. I've just donned a toque again, hoping it will help take the chill off. This is already the warmest room in the house.

Those 'chrome looking things'- if that's what I think it is, I had one years ago. Yes they get quite hot. Mine had a sleeve that could be slid to cover vent holes- open it up, light it, and wait for the catalytic action to start. Of course it required fuel, so I'd have to carry that. The one time I really needed it, I didn't have it- I spent 3 hours sitting in a canoe in the middle of the lake, freezing my azz off and not catching anything, while people on the shore were catching their limits. I was with a fishing guide- hmm. I'm definitely not a cold weather camper. Today I found myself wondering if I should move south-
                        I seldom do anything within the scope of logical reason and calculated cost/benefit, etc- I'm following my passion-

Comment

Originally posted by darryl View Post
                          Oh man. Here I sit, lethargic again- and in need of some warmth. I have a 600 watt heater close enough to touch, but I'm still chilled. Those heated gloves and socks are sounding pretty good right now. We've had a beautiful clear day here today- but of course that means it will get quite cold after sundown. I've just donned a toque again, hoping it will help take the chill off. This is already the warmest room in the house.

Those 'chrome looking things'- if that's what I think it is, I had one years ago. Yes they get quite hot. Mine had a sleeve that could be slid to cover vent holes- open it up, light it, and wait for the catalytic action to start. Of course it required fuel, so I'd have to carry that. The one time I really needed it, I didn't have it- I spent 3 hours sitting in a canoe in the middle of the lake, freezing my azz off and not catching anything, while people on the shore were catching their limits. I was with a fishing guide- hmm. I'm definitely not a cold weather camper. Today I found myself wondering if I should move south-
                          The best hat I ever had was a fur lined trappers hat. It was rabbit fur lined. I was told that Wolverine fur was the best but they were more $$$.
                          I have been in the sleeping bag at -23C. Zip the bag closed with just a small hole where I put my nose which would then freeze lol. As they say "Them's were the days" - or nights. Couldn't do that now. Jumping in and out of a bag all night to take a leak and I would end up with more than a frozen nose lol.
                          I found a picture of a old school pocket warmer. It was just what you were talking about but I think the one I had was larger than this one. Maybe they made them in different sizes?

Comment

Working...
                          X