OT cold weather machine testing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Doozer View Post
    Us guys from WNY are complete azz holes !
    What gave it away ? ? ?
    The fact that we refuse to put up with BS ?

-D
    No, I think it's the fact that you generate so much of it.
    Lynn (Huntsville, AL)

Comment

Maybe true, but so far its doing OK at 7 yrs old and counting. I stopped using the regular batteries years ago because they don't have as much reserve for times when you really need it (such as when it doesn't start right away). But nowadays I'm driving newer trucks so it doesn't matter as much as it used to. I can say for a fact that the Optima batteries are worth every penny for their rugged construction and durability.

I used to favor the older Interstate batteries in the same way, but I don't think they make them any more. The flooded cell type, non-sealed. Back when they would pro-rate the green top battery, and you could get a fresh one on trade for $50.

Originally posted by tom_d View Post

All sound advise. My one exception would be the deep cycle battery, if it's in an automobile engine starting application. As I had it explained to me many years ago the difference between the deep cycle and conventional is the way they give up their energy. The example given was comparing a pair of fruit trees. If they are both the same size, and contain the same amount of fruit, the difference is in the harvesting. A deep cycle would be as if you pick the fruit one at a time until the tree is empty and the bin is full. Takes some time but all the fruit is harvested. On conventional batteries it would be as if you grasp the tree by the trunk and give it a big, violent shake. Same quantity as the deep cycle "tree", and all the fruit drops, but almost all at once. Sort of like starting a car on a cold day when that starter grabs all the battery can offer to get the engine spinning. Large out-rush of current. Deep cycle batteries are not meant to see a large discharge in a short amount of time. It will work for a while, but not the best practice for longevity.
      25 miles north of Buffalo NY, USA

Comment

All this brings back memories of many many moons ago when I was young and working in camp in northern BC. Canada. The temperature was a consistent - 20 to -30 F and hit -40 F for while. I owned a VW beetle in those days and it was about the only vehicle in the camp parking lot that would still start on it's own. You had to give full choke, lots of throttle and have the clutch disengaged. The engine would crank over very slowly but would finally catch and take off. You had to keep the clutch disengaged and let the engine warm up a bit. Then slowly engage the clutch keeping a good amount of throttle on to keep it from stalling. The VW transmission input shaft ran through the center of the output shaft and with gear oil in there it created a lot of drag until it warmed up.Once you got that warmed up you had to try and get it in low gear without breaking anything and with any kind of luck it may move. One other thing we had to do was drain the gear oil out of the steering box while the weather was still warm enough to do that and put in a light weight oil for the winter otherwise it steering like an old lumber truck. And of course my vehicle only had the warm air from the air cooled engine for cabin heat so it was glove. parka and felt lined boots when you were driving it.
        Larry - west coast of Canada

Comment

Originally posted by nickel-city-fab View Post
          I do know that its really unpleasant when it gets truly cold out, the air dries you out instantly. I've probably added 50% more water to my daily intake in the last month -- you lose it all just by breathing. I'm accustomed to lots of humidity by virtue of being on the eastern shore of the Great Lakes (Erie and Ontario). Those lakes are the reason why we get all the snow.
          Due to the climate here, I drink 3x more in the summer (all lost sweating). And I am out in winter too.

Yes, the air when breathed in drops in relative humidity due to you warming it up, so yes it does take more water out of you that way. Just not like sweating in 95F/95% weather.
          4357 2773 5150 9120 9135 8645 1007 1190 2133 9120 5942

Keep eye on ball.
          Hashim Khan

Everything not impossible is compulsory

"There's no pleasing these serpents"......Lewis Carroll

Comment

5 inches of snow last night and +5F today.
            The 45 year old Kubota starts ok but the hydraulics for the plow are slow as sludge. So the routine is drive it from the shed and let it run by the house for 15 minutes.

edit:
            Machine ran ok, face now won't move.
            Last edited by I make chips; 01-23-2022, 03:04 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by I make chips View Post
              5 inches of snow last night and +5F today.
              The 45 year old Kubota starts ok but the hydraulics for the plow are slow as sludge. So the routine is drive it from the shed and let it run by the house for 15 minutes.

edit:
              Machine ran ok, face now won't move.
              At work (heavy equipment), they idle them for a good 20-30 minutes before even moving anything, and they are still a bit stiff. I know the trucks are using block heaters, but I don't know about the heavy machines.

Comment

At work (heavy equipment), they idle them for a good 20-30 minutes before even moving anything, and they are still a bit stiff. I know the trucks are using block heaters, but I don't know about the heavy machines.
                Always a good opportunity to squeeze in an extra coffee.

I remember years ago driving one truck which was marginally spec'd for power, which would never pull top gear when it was minus 30, even on flat ground it would take about twenty miles until the rear diffs warmed up enough to enable the use of the top two positions on the transmission. Those diffs, especially tandems,soak up a lot of power.
                We switched over from conventional 80w90 to a synthetic 75w90 when it became available and never looked back. Right out of the gate on cold days the truck would pull the top gears as if it were summer time.
                That made a believer out of me.
                Home, down in the valley behind the Red Angus
                Bad Decisions Make Good Stories​

Comment

Originally posted by Willy View Post

Always a good opportunity to squeeze in an extra coffee.
                  That made a believer out of me.
                  Yep, the synthetics are good stuff. I used to think they were overpriced crap till I tried Mobil 1 on a -20 day.... wow what a difference!

Comment

It will be -27C here tomorrow night. Daytime temperatures are around -10C and we have about a foot of snow on the ground. It has actually been quite a good winter, weather-wise. I live about 100 K north of Lake Ontario. Another 100 k north of here, where I grew up in the 1950's-1960's, it was not uncommon to see -30F during the nights and -20F during the day in January and February for weeks at a time.--Brian
                    Brian Rupnow
                    Design engineer
                    Barrie, Ontario, Canada

Comment

In mid-Minnesota back in the 1950s and 1960s, -29F was a fairly common overnight temperature between late December and February. It might not break 0F for the entire month of January.

Now? Heck, right now it is a balmy 5F up there at the Minnesota house. (I just did a remote check of temperature and heating system status). May hit -12F in the next few days.
                      4357 2773 5150 9120 9135 8645 1007 1190 2133 9120 5942

Keep eye on ball.
                      Hashim Khan

Everything not impossible is compulsory

"There's no pleasing these serpents"......Lewis Carroll

Comment

Yep, the synthetics are good stuff. I used to think they were overpriced crap till I tried Mobil 1 on a -20 day.... wow what a difference!
                        Mobil 1 is good stuff had a 94 GMC 2500 454ci 556000km,got wrote off in accident,current 2003 Chev 2500 6Litre 520000km so far.

Comment

This tractor is a little 4wd 12 hp Kubota with a 600cc twin,and the group 24 battery seems half the size of the engine. It turns over slowly with the 15/40 oil but always fires up. Manual trans so driving it on a dead cold engine doesn't really put any load on it. 15 minutes at about 1000 rpm limbers up the hydraulics (probably just aereates the four gallons of trans oil) and the water is at 140.
                          In 45 years I only had to plug it in once when it was -20 An hour of that and it started like on a summer day.

Comment

Working...
                          X