Another improvement for my Sheldon/Vernon horizontal mill

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another improvement for my Sheldon/Vernon horizontal mill

I have a Rusnok vertical head on my Vernon. It needs to be trammed like any other vertical spindle & bump-adjust gets me where I need to be. But it could be more convenient, especially when I have it angled 60* & its center of mass is way off the over-arm axis:

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_2720.jpg Views:	11 Size:	82.7 KB ID:	1982263

So I made a fine-adjust for it. First I took took a right angle drive that I got at the dump years ago:

Click image for larger version  Name:	s-l1600.jpg Views:	11 Size:	24.9 KB ID:	1982264

And cut it down to the useful parts:

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_2727.jpg Views:	11 Size:	70.8 KB ID:	1982265

I cut the worm gear off its shaft & bored it to the over-arm diameter (2"). Slit & put a tightener on it; and made a crank for the worm shaft:

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_2733.jpg Views:	11 Size:	157.3 KB ID:	1982266

Installed on the back of the mill:

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_E2753.jpg Views:	11 Size:	91.1 KB ID:	1982267

It does have to be loosened to adjust the over-arm in & out, but that's no big deal (when the head isn't on it).
    Last edited by Bob Engelhardt; 01-22-2022, 04:53 PM.

Works a treat & the crank is much more easily bumped than a wheel would be.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2757.jpg
Views:	335
Size:	182.5 KB
ID:	1982270

Comment

Nice, with the added bonus that there is no danger of loosing control of the head when loosening the clamps. I will be looking out for a reduction gearbox to mod the Tom Senior light vertical.

Comment

that is very slick, nice job!

Comment

Excellent work.

Comment

Nice Job ,nice to see clever ideas for repurposing good parts at the best price ever.Kudos!

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Engelhardt View Post
              And cut it down to the useful parts:
              I laughed out loud when I read that and scrolled to the next picutre. Great job Bob, I bet that's a treat to use now.

Comment

Worm gear adjustment is the best.

I did a similar deal to the Benchmaster. Had to make all the parts, since I had no handy gearbox. Works very well. You'll like yours.

The only real difference in principle is that I cut a keyway in the arm, and trapped a key in the worm gear, so I can move it in and out without messing with the gearbox.
                Last edited by J Tiers; 01-23-2022, 01:27 AM.
                4357 2773 5150 9120 9135 8645 1007 1190 2133 9120 5942

Keep eye on ball.
                Hashim Khan

Everything not impossible is compulsory

"There's no pleasing these serpents"......Lewis Carroll

Comment

Originally posted by old mart View Post
                  Nice, with the added bonus that there is no danger of loosing control of the head when loosening the clamps. I will be looking out for a reduction gearbox to mod the Tom Senior light vertical.
                  Yes, that too. Otherwise it's a bit of game to keep the clamps loose enough to adjust but not lose control.

Originally posted by Tundra Twin Track View Post
                  Nice Job ,nice to see clever ideas for repurposing good parts at the best price ever.Kudos!
                  Thanks. I'll be much more adventuresome with what I have laying around, than with something I have to buy. I never really know if something's going to work out & I hate to have wasted something I bought. Not rational, but there it is.

Originally posted by Dan Dubeau View Post
                  "And cut it down to the useful parts:"
                  I laughed out loud when I read that and scrolled to the next picture. Great job Bob, I bet that's a treat to use now.
                  When I cleaned up & saw that pile of chips, I knew I had a picture.

Originally posted by J Tiers View Post

I did a similar deal to the Benchmaster. Had to make all the parts, since I had no handy gearbox. Works very well. You'll like yours.

The only real difference in principle is that I cut a keyway in the arm, and trapped a key in the worm gear, so I can move it in and out without messing with the gearbox.
                  I didn't have the confidence that I could make a worm & gear that would work worth a dam. The keyway is the best way to do it, but I took the easy way out.

Originally posted by mattthemuppet View Post
                  that is very slick, nice job!
                  Originally posted by Randy View Post
                  Excellent work.
                  Thank you! It's fun making stuff, and it's also fun sharing on HSM.
                  Last edited by Bob Engelhardt; 01-24-2022, 06:17 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Engelhardt View Post

I didn't have the confidence that I could make a worm & gear that would work worth a dam. The keyway is the best way to do it, but I took the easy way out.
                    It's far easier than you think.

But your approach is very practical, works just as well, and uses available materials. I like it.

Keep eye on ball.
                    Hashim Khan

Comment

Originally posted by J Tiers View Post
                      Counterbalance is the best.
                      That way you can adjust the head with one finger.

-Doozer
                      DZER

Comment

Bob, Wow! now that's being creative with salvaged stuff. I loved the photo of the gear box pieces, me thinks you should frame it and hang it on your shop wall. Cutting the worm wheel, boring and splitting it was a hell of an idea and it looks great. Nicely done, great photos, clear description and good followup to the comments. Ron

Comment

Originally posted by Doozer View Post

Counterbalance is the best.
                          That way you can adjust the head with one finger.

-Doozer
                          My worm adjust is easier to get right on the needed adjustment than your finger......😉 Unless you just "give it" the finger.... That's easier, but less productive.

Keep eye on ball.
                          Hashim Khan

Comment

Originally posted by nc5a View Post
                            Bob, Wow! now that's being creative with salvaged stuff. I loved the photo of the gear box pieces, me thinks you should frame it and hang it on your shop wall. Cutting the worm wheel, boring and splitting it was a hell of an idea and it looks great. Nicely done, great photos, clear description and good followup to the comments. Ron
                            Not on the shop wall, but it is in the Wallpaper folder for my Windows desk top.

I do think that I will print, frame, & hang your post. I appreciate it, thanks.

Comment

Thanks Bob, Great idea, very relevant for me. My Hardinge horizontal has a Bridgeport M head that I mounted on the 2" overarm. I've only ever used the head aligned vertically. The other day I needed to incline the head 37 degrees off vertical. Without thinking I loosened the overarm clamps to gently make the adjustment and wham, the head being very top heavy swung instantly about 90 degrees stopping when the motor hit part of the mill. Luckily no damage to anything. I have a spare gearbox to donate to the project.

Comment

Working...
                              X