Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Any compound slide dials that have a zeroing feature?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SLK001
    replied
    It could be something simple like shimming the knob away from the dial. The dial is most likely being held in place by friction only from the knob pressure. This setup was someone's effort to give himself "big dials" on the 9" compound. Normally, the 9" compound had dials about the same size as the cross-slide dials.

Leave a comment:

• BCRider
    replied
    How many years and models did SB produce the 9 for? It might well be that a non adjustable index was how it came at some point. The trick now will be what it takes to turn it into an adjustable version. Because having the ability to zero it during a fairly wide range of compound based operations has been a pretty handy feature. I know I would not want to be without that feature.

Leave a comment:

• Paul Alciatore
    replied
    That is obviously not a SB OEM knob and scale. But I can't think anyone would make such a nice looking knob and scale that was not settable to zero it.

The first thing I would do would be to soak it in penetrating oil and come back the next day and see if the scale will rotate while you hold that fancy knob.

If that does not work, then disassemble it, probably by unscrewing that nut in your photo, and see just how things work. I would bet that it can be reassembled with some light oil and care in tightening things to have an adjustable scale.

Leave a comment:

• Mr Fixit
    replied
    Hi Group,

All great suggestions. I didn't make it into the shop today, family (grandkids) showed up so the day was devoted to that vs the shop.

I recall that the inner dial does not have any setscrew like the cross slide does. I too have put slotted screws in the cross slide to zero. I'll take a look at the collier again and see what I can do to the star knob to modify. I just wasn't sure this was a one off, or lathes came this way, now I know this is a one off for sure.

TX
    Mr fixit for the family
    Chris

Leave a comment:

• Glug
    replied
    Maybe even better than futzing with the dial: Have you tried using a mag base dial indicator to track the location of the compound?

Leave a comment:

• Randy
    replied
    Chris, it just occurred to me, something I've done for a temporary reference mark is the good ol' sharpie. Wipe it off to re-set.

Leave a comment:

• BCRider
    replied
    Looking at pictures online for 9A compounds a lot of the index collars look like yours. And a good number of those have a set screw to permit zeroing. In those pictures the set screw is located on the other side between the 80 and 90 index marks. Does your index collar not have a screw there as well?

If it does then the intention is that it should be adjustable. But perhaps the person that did the new hand wheel altered things to lock it instead of leaving it adjustable. Or perhaps the star wheel was made so that it locks the index wheel by pressure? Assuming your index collar has the needed set screw it should be possible to correct the issue once you take things apart and study them.

Leave a comment:

• boslab
    replied
    Don’t understand, the calibrated engraved dial should spin with moderate pressure, the unusual star wheel solid fixed connection to leadscrew, that’s all the lathes I’ve ever used, even a craven 15 metre long beast had indexable dials ( about as accurate as a tape measure) I’d guess overtightened myself
    mark

Leave a comment:

• nickel-city-fab
    replied
    Originally posted by Bob Engelhardt View Post
    This looks like its holding the knob to the shaft - tighten to expand the inside-out "jaws":
    If so, could it be used to zero the dial?
    Quite possible, I couldn't hurt to try.

Leave a comment:

• old mart
    replied
    I thought they all had zeroing dials. The Smart & Brown model A has zeroing dials on the saddle traverse wheel, the cross slide, the compound and I added one to the tailstock. Even my little 7 x 12 Chinese at home has them on the cross slide and compound. You need to look at ways of modifying yours with a suitably engraved ring.

Leave a comment:

• GadgetBuilder
    replied
    George Thomas described free spinning dial locks in "Model Engineer's Workshop Manual". I adapted his idea for my 7X12 -- pretty easy to do although it required slightly different schemes for the compound vs the cross slide.

Leave a comment:

• JoeLee
    replied
    Originally posted by SLK001 View Post

Your cross-slide dial is home made. You should be able to just replace it with an original part, if the lead screw wasn't modified too badly. You could probably modify the one on it now to make it zeroable, but we'd have to see the assembly apart to make that determination.

What is the small part from?
    Looks pretty good for home made. Obviously you know what your looking at as I'm not familiar with that machine. Finding the original parts would be the easiest way or see if the knob can be parted from the dial and come up with a way to lock the dial. I can't really make any comments or further suggestions with out seeing everything apart.
    You'd have to be able to tighten the knob to the shaft while leaving the dial free to turn and independently locked.

JL.............

Leave a comment:

• Bob Engelhardt
    replied
    This looks like its holding the knob to the shaft - tighten to expand the inside-out "jaws":

Click image for larger version

Name:	image_21189.jpg
Views:	498
Size:	114.5 KB
ID:	1982376

If so, could it be used to zero the dial?

Leave a comment:

• SLK001
    replied
    Originally posted by Mr Fixit View Post
    HI Randy,

Yes I have the original like the picture shows for the cross slide but the compound has a different one. So it looks like all I need to do is source the original type and I'll be good to go.

The small part is the last picture.
    Your cross-slide dial is home made. You should be able to just replace it with an original part, if the lead screw wasn't modified too badly. You could probably modify the one on it now to make it zeroable, but we'd have to see the assembly apart to make that determination.

What is the small part from?

Leave a comment:

• nickel-city-fab
    replied
    I have an SB9 and both dials are zero-able. There's a screw hole drilled and tapped right through one of the numbers on the compound dial. Same as Paul Alciatore, I put a slotted screw in.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X