Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Any compound slide dials that have a zeroing feature?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Randy View Post
    Chris, it just occurred to me, something I've done for a temporary reference mark is the good ol' sharpie. Wipe it off to re-set.
    That's been my method for decades on my Logan 200. and notes in sharpie on the cross slide. Occasionally I'll put a dial indicator somewhere if it fits. I did swap in a adjustable BP dial on my Jet mill/drill when I added an X power feed, but I still have to do the arithmetic on the Y axis. It helps that I never move my vise so I know that 065 is centered to the back jaw.

Comment

Any compound slide dials that have a zeroing feature?

compound? On my compound I just use it for threading. So I use a dial indicator mag attached to my cross slide. JR

P.S. You should like to use the plunger of your indicator on the face of the item you are measuring.

In this case the face of the compound or even behind it if its a big lathe. Always place the movement of the piston of the measuring device perpendicular to the movement of the tool. For best results. JR
      Last edited by JRouche; 01-28-2022, 02:32 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by JRouche View Post
        [B] Always place the movement of the piston of the measuring device perpendicular to the movement of the tool. For best results. JR
        Perpendicular? You meant to say "parallel", or "in-line" didn't you?

Comment

Originally posted by oxford View Post
          I’m pretty surprised that someone was able to make that dial/knob combo yet didn't see the need to have the dial zero-able.
          perhaps they saw the need to not have the dial-zeroable? I can't imagine why, but on a part that well made, I have to think it was intentional.
          "it is no measure of mental health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society." -- krishnamurti
          "look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better." -- albert einstien
          "any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex...It takes a touch of genius - and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction."

Comment

Originally posted by mtraven View Post

perhaps they saw the need to not have the dial-zeroable? I can't imagine why, but on a part that well made, I have to think it was intentional.
            I don’t know, only thing I can think of in that scenario is it was a “government” job that someone that didn’t really know better had done for a machine they picked up.

Comment

Hi Guys,

I agree it was either because it was missing the dial and they had this dial or they thought they were improving things, which I find hard to believe. I have been using it the way it is for quite a while, but doing some internal threading for the first time I needed the dial to zero for me to keep track and it wouldn't so that started the question. I'm working on another project at the moment, but when I'm done with it the next is to rework the dial to be able to zero like the cross slide, hopefully with a new handle too. I probably will have to make a ball turner first. LOL.. A tool for a tool situation again..!

TX
              Mr fixit for the family
              Chris

Comment

Working...
              X