Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Any compound slide dials that have a zeroing feature?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• rdfeil
    replied
    Chris,
    I would take that cross slide knob and dial apart and see what you really have there. I am not a South Bend person, but every South Bend I have ever seen has had Ball Crank handles on the slides. I am wondering if someone made those mods or adapted something. Once you see it apart you might see an easy way to get what you want. Also, my 17" LeBlond has adjustable zero dials on both slides.

Leave a comment:

• Mr Fixit
    replied
    HI Randy,

Yes I have the original like the picture shows for the cross slide but the compound has a different one. So it looks like all I need to do is source the original type and I'll be good to go.

The small part is the last picture.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20220122_234746033.jpg
Views:	600
Size:	729.9 KB
ID:	1982357 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20220122_234753450.jpg
Views:	588
Size:	784.5 KB
ID:	1982358 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20220122_234905610.jpg
Views:	589
Size:	320.3 KB
ID:	1982359

TX
    Mr fixit for the family
    Chris

Leave a comment:

• Randy
    replied
    Is your lathe SBL 9A not like this? (I know it says metric, but inch would be the same.) Maybe the dial is stuck on the screw shaft? Even if you had to go to the extreme of remachining the screw shaft (just the back end, not the threads) and making a new dial from scratch, which is unlikely, thats all do-able, and worth the effort.

Click image for larger version

Name:	0674a.jpg
Views:	580
Size:	135.7 KB
ID:	1982355

Leave a comment:

• Paul Alciatore
    replied
    My SB-9 has dials on both the cross slide and compound that can be zeroed. Both of them have set screws that can be loosened and turned to any position (like zero) and then re-tightened. They are essentially identical. I believe one of them had a thumb screw when I purchased the lathe, but I exchanged it for a set screw because the set screw got in my way.

Leave a comment:

• The Metal Butcher
    replied
    Originally posted by Mr Fixit View Post
    Hi Group,

I've been working on a small part that has been a challenge for me, and I crashed a couple of times because my compound cross slide does not have a zeroing feature and I lost track of things..
    Does any ones lathe have this, like a milling machine does?

I have a Southbend 9A and my cross slide has a split dial that does allow me to zero it if I need to, which I do to keep track of depth of cuts. My compound does not and I'd like to get one or make one, any advice? What's involved to do this? What might I need? OK enough questions, I look forward to the discussion.

I would appreciate any help, advice, pictures, or links to something that might help me out.

TX
    Mr fixit for the family
    Chris
    Every big lathe has one, sure. Usually they are annoying, with a set screw. Dad's Lagun uses a friction ring, easy to bump. My Sidney uses a lock collar, just like the cross-slide.

I am curious as to what type of work you are doing that requires such accurate compound movement? Secondly, Can you use an indicator?

Leave a comment:

• Any compound slide dials that have a zeroing feature?

Hi Group,

I've been working on a small part that has been a challenge for me, and I crashed a couple of times because my compound cross slide does not have a zeroing feature and I lost track of things..
    Does any ones lathe have this, like a milling machine does?

I have a Southbend 9A and my cross slide has a split dial that does allow me to zero it if I need to, which I do to keep track of depth of cuts. My compound does not and I'd like to get one or make one, any advice? What's involved to do this? What might I need? OK enough questions, I look forward to the discussion.

I would appreciate any help, advice, pictures, or links to something that might help me out.

TX
    Mr fixit for the family
    Chris

Working...
X