unknown brass treasure

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• unknown brass treasure

I acquired a 3/4 box of 3/16 brass rods , Approximately 18 in. long . Box has no markings. Dont know if it is for welding or machining or what. What should a person do to figure out what it is good for and maybe what kind of brazing it can be used for?

I just picked up what I thought was silicon bronze rod, new maybe 36 in. what I did was tried to weld it with my tig torch and it fumed up and decided it was brazing rod and not silicon bronze. but it came with good 10 lbs aluminum rod that I can use.
    Ed
    Agua Dulce, So.California
    1950 F1 street rod
    1949 F1 stock V8 flathead
    1948 F6 350 chevy/rest stock, no dump bed
    1953 chevy 3100 AD for 85 S10 frame have a 4BT cummins motor, NV4500
    1968 Baha Bug with 2.2 ecotec motor, king coil-overs,P/S

Comment

Didn't we just do this ?

Some unknown brass like alloy and what is it good for ?

Really?

-D
      DZER

Comment

Keep a couple pieces if you must.
        Bring the rest to the scrap yard for $2+ a pound.

Comment

Doozer. different rod.
          reggie obe. I never sell stuff for 2 dollars a lb. It would cost me a lot more than that. It doesnt owe me anything.

Comment

Ed, I might try to braze with a carbon arc to see if it is silicon. My tig torch is to hard to hook up at the moment , and carbon would be quick as it is cold in shop.

Comment

Brazing with carbon arc is something I have not tried
              but would love to see the process. Do you ever post videos?
              Seriously, that would be pretty neat to see.

-D
              DZER

Comment

Doozer, I am sure you could just figure it out , its simple. I use d to braze duct work with it. I havent learned to do videos yet. Just sharpen a carbon arc rod in a pencil sharpener. Then place it in your rod holder with about 1and a half stick out . Set the welder on about I think about 90 amp. Get about 3/32nd silicon bronze with no flux. Place the bronze against metal and touch only the bronze with carbon arc. You will need the same welding lense as with welding. Being a tigger you probably have the feed down pretty good. Memory doesnt work as good as it used to so you might have to play with it to get the right polarity. Its either straight or ac. Maybe someone else can verify which. By the way. They used to use 2 carbons to make heat this only takes one. Ground goes on work . Good luck. It should go on smooth and fast. It will be quick like stainless on aluminum. Stay out of fumes.

Comment

Doozer, we always used 1/4 in. carbon. Dont know if bigger or smaller will work.

Comment

Originally posted by welderskelter View Post
                    Doozer, we always used 1/4 in. carbon. Dont know if bigger or smaller will work.
                    Dad used the carbon rods out of bicycle headlamp batteries. I guess they are also about 1/4" diameter. It worked for him!

George

Comment

Copying my old post on carbon rod brazing...

You can just buy a 3/16" gouging carbon electrode and use it the same way you use a regular electrode (with the ground wire clamped to the work). Cut it in half for convenience. Sharpen the shortened electrode with your pencil sharpener. Keep amperage low: just enough to create a sustainable arc. Start with about 25-35 Amp DCEN (DC, electrode negative). Use 1/8" silicon bronze rod as a brazing rod.
                      Mike
                      WI/IL border, USA

Comment

I knew some else would tell you. It has been a long time since I done it. It might be a bit prettier with tig but this is cheaper. Not sure tig is prettier on galvanized sheet metal

Comment

Originally posted by Ed ke6bnl View Post
                          I just picked up what I thought was silicon bronze rod, new maybe 36 in. what I did was tried to weld it with my tig torch and it fumed up and decided it was brazing rod and not silicon bronze. but it came with good 10 lbs aluminum rod that I can use.
                          It is a lil funny for me. I am within walking distance from ED..

Golly! Its like teaching people all over again.. The people are getting better. JR

Comment

Originally posted by Ed ke6bnl View Post
                            I have used it as a filler for both gas and tig, I do both pretty well.. I have used it a braze filler, lowered temp and it was very nice.

I "braze weld" with these rods. I also use them with high heat. I use them as filler for cast iron fixes. Tig welding. Thats what I do. JR

Comment

My first experience with a carbon arc torch was quite funny, I merely struck the arc with EW9 goggles on, couple of hours later felt my nose stinging, it was like Rudolph, glowing red severe sunburn, I discovered the hard way how much UV comes off an arc, it didn’t take long to really burn
                              mark

Comment

Working...
                              X