No announcement yet.

CNC Plasma Cut Vintage Motorcycles

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Great work. I would definitely be interested in a description of your workflow regarding the software to create these works of art. Please!!!!!!!

How to become a millionaire: Start out with 10 million and take up machining as a hobby!

Comment

Very nice work, I’d like to see a video of the cutting myself, and the machine. my dad bought an Ariel I remember something he swapped for a thing called a “flying squirrel” funny name for what I don’t know, but in keeping he crashed it wrecked his knee, my mother wouldn’t let him have another motorcycle!
      Mark

Comment

Originally posted by boslab View Post
        I remember something he swapped for a thing called a “flying squirrel” funny name for what I don’t know,
        Mark

BTW, nice work Tmate.

Comment

Originally posted by Black Forest View Post
          Great work. I would definitely be interested in a description of your workflow regarding the software to create these works of art. Please!!!!!!!
          Start with a photo of the bike, preferably against a white background. Auto trace the bitmap in CorelDraw if possible.
          Trace lines and shapes over the photo in CorelDraw. Keep at least .150" between lines and shapes, and make sure to leave bridges to hold outlined shapes in place.
          Delte the photo and use black fill on the outlined shape to preview what the cut out piece will look like.
          Correct mistakes and test distance between lines and interior shapes with a drawn circle .150" in diameter.
          Export dxf file and import into driver software (FlashcutCNC). Flashcut software identifies errors needing correction.
          Fix errors in CorelDraw, and then cut shape using Flashcut software.

Comment

Here's the BSA God Star with some paint:

Click image for larger version

Name:	Yellow Gold Star.jpg
Views:	269
Size:	1.94 MB
ID:	1983318

Comment

Thank you Tmate. I have used Coral Draw but am not very proficient with it. I know lots of Plasma guys use it.

How to become a millionaire: Start out with 10 million and take up machining as a hobby!

Comment

Those look great Tmate. I can see that being a very popular "fleamarket" type item, and a great seller. I'd love to have a couple pictures like that of me from back in my racing days (like the one in my avatar) hanging on the wall in the shop next to all the plaques. I know this will be one of the first things I cut if I ever get to building a plasma table.

Comment

Originally posted by boslab View Post
                  Very nice work, I’d like to see a video of the cutting myself, and the machine. my dad bought an Ariel I remember something he swapped for a thing called a “flying squirrel” funny name for what I don’t know, but in keeping he crashed it wrecked his knee, my mother wouldn’t let him have another motorcycle!
                  Mark
                  Don't have a video, but I do have a web page with pictures of the CNC-cut bikes. I will add to it as I complete more and paint them.

https://fortuneafterfifty.godaddysit...asma-cut-bikes

Name:	Painted TT Special.jpg
Views:	245
Size:	1.96 MB
ID:	1983818

Comment

Group photo:

Large images of these bikes can be found HERE: https://fortuneafterfifty.godaddysit...ma-cut-bikes-1

Click image for larger version  Name:	All bikes small.jpg Views:	0 Size:	929.4 KB ID:	1986868

Comment

Great job, brings back some good old memories.
                      Larry - west coast of Canada

Comment

Here's a 500cc Norton Manx and a Brough Superior:

Name:	IMG_0774.jpg
Views:	168
Size:	1.97 MB
ID:	1988871 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0793.jpg
Views:	165
Size:	1.31 MB
ID:	1988872

Comment

Triumph X-75 Hurricane triple & Harley Fat Boy:

Name:	Hurricane.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	2.04 MB
ID:	1992947 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0829.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	2.01 MB
ID:	1992948

Comment

That is some nice work. You have a good system.

Comment

Two more plasma-cut bikes:

The first is a 1949 Panther Model 100 600cc single.
                              The second is Clem Johnson's 96 c.i. Vincent drag bike "Barn Job."

Name:	Panther Model 100 1_27 mb.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	1.25 MB
ID:	1996003

Name:	Barn Job 1 mb.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	1.05 MB
ID:	1996004

Comment

In case there is any interest, here is the same motorcycle shape cut out with plasma and with laser for comparison purposes. The laser cut shape is 6" x 12" and the plasma version is 9 1/2" x 19". In the laser-cut piece, the lines were cut as narrow slots.

The narrower kerf of the laser is apparent in the little star shape in the front forks. The plasma-cut piece, having lines rather than narrow slots, has visible pierce points. The material thickness is the same for both.

Just an interesting comparison of both processes on a moderately complex shape.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Brough Superior plasma vs laser.jpg Views:	2 Size:	4.62 MB ID:	1998784
                                Last edited by Tmate; 04-29-2022, 05:14 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X