No announcement yet.

Disscussion of Centroid support forum

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think what it comes down to on the Centroid forum is they don't have respect for their customers. They seem to think they are doing the customer a favor by allowing them to buy their product.

How to become a millionaire: Start out with 10 million and take up machining as a hobby!

Comment

Sorry you are having a tough go with those guys, BF. If you stick with it, and bulldoze your way through, you'll be glad you did in the end. By the time you get up and running, you'll have a good command of what's going on inside the machine, which will help immensely later on. It sounds like you have been able to ferret out some of the BS and are making good headway. Thankfully you already have experience in dealing with manure spreaders. The information shared should prove valuable to anyone else who goes down this path.
      Kansas City area

Comment

With no further input than what I've gathered from this thread.....It sounds like they don't really understand who their target market is with the acorn, and have the wrong people with the wrong attitudes and skill sets representing their brand and providing support.

As for forums, I've been apart of forums going back to 1998. I participate in only a small handfull now, and most of those are similar in how they're run, and the general attitude of the members on them. Every once in a while I'll stumble onto another one, and it's like walking into a bizzaro world, where everything is different, and the general way they do things and run the show are completely different, and IMO ass backwards to how I've ever experienced, but considered completely normal there. Nothing turns me off, and away than over moderation, editing, and censorship. I hate when the words that I type are edited, taken out of context, or censored.

Heading into a new forum is like heading into a new job or workplace. You're now the new guy and all the alpha dogs come out of the woodwork to try and put you in your new place. lol. every forum/workplace has them. The big dog in their own little fiefdom. It's quite amusing.

Comment

Originally posted by Black Forest View Post
          I think what it comes down to on the Centroid forum is they don't have respect for their customers. They seem to think they are doing the customer a favor by allowing them to buy their product.
          This is ridiculous. Every answer for a newbie is there if you use the search function and spend the time to find it. Their support is far better than most other companies. In the past I have always got a prompt answer from their direct support email. There are so many installation possibilities for this controller that they can't possibly document all of them. People need to use their head and figure out things for themselves instead of relying on being told exactly how to do it.

Gary Campbell is a very talented individual who has been involved in CNC regarding router tables for many years, it is not fair to trash him because he may have given someone a possibly incorrect answer once. Not every situation is the same and there are lots of variables in each installation.

You pay a couple of hundred dollars for what was their industrial quality interface (cnc12) and extremely good hardware based on 30 years of development and you expect them to walk you thru your installation? People need to do their own research. The answers are there.

I figured that once they hit the hobbyist market this would happen to them. Their controllers and software is way too advanced for average hobbyists. They probably had to go this route as the commercial retrofit market is drying up.

Sounds like you should have gone for LinuxCNC. Do Centroid a favor and send their board back.

Comment

Originally posted by polaraligned View Post

This is ridiculous. Every answer for a newbie is there if you use the search function and spend the time to find it. Their support is far better than most other companies. In the past I have always got a prompt answer from their direct support email. There are so many installation possibilities for this controller that they can't possibly document all of them. People need to use their head and figure out things for themselves instead of relying on being told exactly how to do it.

Gary Campbell is a very talented individual who has been involved in CNC regarding router tables for many years, it is not fair to trash him because he may have given someone a possibly incorrect answer once. Not every situation is the same and there are lots of variables in each installation.

You pay a couple of hundred dollars for what was their industrial quality interface (cnc12) and extremely good hardware based on 30 years of development and you expect them to walk you thru your installation? People need to do their own research. The answers are there.

I figured that once they hit the hobbyist market this would happen to them. Their controllers and software is way too advanced for average hobbyists. They probably had to go this route as the commercial retrofit market is drying up.

Sounds like you should have gone for LinuxCNC. Do Centroid a favor and send their board back.
            No way am I sending this board back. Gary is so far off base in some of his responses to people. Not technically but with his attitude. AIl though sometimes technically also. I asked a simple question on the forum. I don't expect them to hold my hand every step of the way. I just needed a starting off point for my drive. That is absolutely not out of line. They don't have generic wiring diagrams that I found. Their wiring diagrams are not listed logically. They could have made it much easier to find what I wanted and it wouldn't have taken any more effort. And yes if I needed them to walk me through my installation I would expect to get respectful answers. I didn't need them to walk me through the installation. I asked one question. I have it working and it seems to work OK. There support is OK as long as you phrase your questions VERY carefully and provide what they think is the needed information. In my case I did provide the needed information to get an answer but it wasn't to anyone's liking except the Centroid tech. That is ridiculous.

They launched this DIY board not me. Do you honestly think I am the only one that has problems with that forum? I am not and I ain't no dummy.

How to become a millionaire: Start out with 10 million and take up machining as a hobby!

Comment

This was my question on the forum. It seems ridiculously simple after I saw the wiring diagram. They know what the Acorn needs. I just needed to know what the drive needed from Acorn. It was simple after I knew the drive needed from Acorn.

"I looked for a video showing how to wire the step/direction signals to the drive. I have attached the manual for the drive. Maybe one of you could steer me in the right direction. I didn't attach a report thinking it wasn't necessary at this point."
              3HSS2260驱动器-说明书.pdf

Comment

This is one of the posts Marty deleted. I will leave this alone for now. I have made my point and it seems I am not alone in my thinking.

"If you don't want new users on here then maybe you should make that a sticky. Big letters, "Don't come round here until you are an expert." Let's face it to do this Acorn thing doesn't require you to be a rocket scientist. I told Keith before it was ever released that he should make the Acorn more expensive in order to cover the support end of the project. So Gary and Marty get off your high horses. I brought the Acorn over to the Home Shop Machinist board. Before it was ever even announced to the public I was privately telling members to wait for the Acorn to come out. That it was going to be a game changer. The comments over there are mirroring my sentiments exactly. Great product but watch out on the support forum because they aren't so tolerant or friendly. So if you don't want to answer then don't but don't trash the new members. You guys may have written a 1000 times about all the rules but a new member just might not realize the importance of all the RULES until they get into it more. I have paid my money to Centroid and this is the official support forum. You shouldn't forget that.

And let me be clear. This is exactly the place to post these complaints and grievances. This is a DIY forum. You two are professionals and don't have much tolerance for the newbies. I do understand your situation but I don't think you understand and take to heart the new members on here."

Comment

A bit chilly, but by no means obnoxious. I moderate a forum elsewhere, and I would not have removed that. But I tend to remove only the political rants, and silly insults.
                  4357 2773 5150 9120 9135 8645 1007 1190 2133 9120 5942

Keep eye on ball.
                  Hashim Khan

Everything not impossible is compulsory

"There's no pleasing these serpents"......Lewis Carroll

Comment

I run a Centroid Acorn. Talked to Marty many times. I completely understand their attitude. Not only do they have that forum, they also help those on Facebook.
                    Marty exhibited much more patience than I would of had with one jack ass who couldn’t get his cheap Chinese VFD to work with his spindle motor and was cursing Centroid over it. I told him his issue has absolutely nothing to do with the Acorn yet he is cursing them. He even let the magic smoke out of the VFD.
                    When you deal with morons and offer a DIY product, you are going to turn into an A-hole.(They aren’t, but have every right to be)

If you go DIY, there is an expectation that you aren’t an idiot, can diagnose issues, speak at a technical level, understand at a technical level, and apply properly at a very technical level.
                    I’m not calling anyone here an idiot, I actually view this forum as the “brain trust”, where the smart people hang out.

Comment

Originally posted by RB211 View Post
                      ................... with one jack ass who couldn’t get his cheap Chinese VFD to work with his spindle motor and was cursing Centroid over it. ...................
                      Go on over to PM and ask about one of those. Better yet, ask how to fix it ! 😏🤔

It IS pretty down and dirty stupid to be mad at a completely different company and product over one of those. The only excuse I can think of is if there is a spindle speed control output on the system, which I would have to assume there is, and something about THAT was the real problem.

I myself will give advice on VFDs, which I happen to know a bit about, but NOT on one of those chinese ones. Too many of the ebay units are ones that seem to have been taken from the "failed test" pile, and sold out the side door of the factory.
                      Last edited by J Tiers; 01-26-2022, 09:26 PM.

Keep eye on ball.
                      Hashim Khan

Comment

Originally posted by J Tiers View Post

Go on over to PM and ask about one of those. Better yet, ask how to fix it ! 😏🤔

It IS pretty down and dirty stupid to be mad at a completely different company and product over one of those. The only excuse I can think of is if there is a spindle speed control output on the system, which I would have to assume there is, and something about THAT was the real problem.

I myself will give advice on VFDs, which I happen to know a bit about, but NOT on one of those chinese ones. Too many of the ebay units are ones that seem to have been taken from the "failed test" pile, and sold out the side door of the factory.
                        Acorn does put out an analog 0 to 10v or 0 to 5v signal to control speed for a VFD. None the less he should get his VFD to motor working with just the VFD front panel before ever dicking with remote control. I told him as much. At least convinced him to stop bashing the wrong party.

Comment

Well, 0 to 10V is standard on nearly every VFD that I have messed with or read the manual for. That "should" be about as easy as it is possible to get.... connect it where the pot goes.... just get the (two) wires on the right screws.

Keep eye on ball.
                          Hashim Khan

Comment

I'm about to dive into an Acorn conversion. Looking at the Acorn forum I was a little disappointed by the search function. My machine to be converted is an Emco F1P, with the "P" meaning production. So I searched for "Emco F1P" in quotes assuming that would bring up only topics with that exact sequence of letters between the quotes. At least, that's the way it works on a good many forum searches.

Instead it brought up every post with the word "Emco" in it. That was a lot of hits, most of which were of no interest to me. Never did find anything on the F1P model.

The intention of my search was to find what size axis motors the F1P mills use and are they a standard like a NEMA 23.. By Googling I did find a partial answer to my question. A Youtube video showed an F1P converted, no details though. In the follow op to the video there was a question about the motors, they may be NEMA 23 except with 6mm shafts instead of 6.35mm (1/4") which is standard on a NEMA 23.

Comment

Originally posted by DR View Post
                              I'm about to dive into an Acorn conversion. Looking at the Acorn forum I was a little disappointed by the search function. My machine to be converted is an Emco F1P, with the "P" meaning production. So I searched for "Emco F1P" in quotes assuming that would bring up only topics with that exact sequence of letters between the quotes. At least, that's the way it works on a good many forum searches.

Instead it brought up every post with the word "Emco" in it. That was a lot of hits, most of which were of no interest to me. Never did find anything on the F1P model.

The intention of my search was to find what size axis motors the F1P mills use and are they a standard like a NEMA 23.. By Googling I did find a partial answer to my question. A Youtube video showed an F1P converted, no details though. In the follow op to the video there was a question about the motors, they may be NEMA 23 except with 6mm shafts instead of 6.35mm (1/4") which is standard on a NEMA 23.
                              Marty does a lot of conversions, you should post your question on that forum, either Marty or Keith will chime in, especially if it helps them sell you an Acorn or better.

Comment

Originally posted by RB211 View Post
                                I

If you go DIY, there is an expectation that you aren’t an idiot, can diagnose issues, speak at a technical level, understand at a technical level, and apply properly at a very technical level.
                                I’m not calling anyone here an idiot, I actually view this forum as the “brain trust”, where the smart people hang out.
                                I have wired many things in my life. I can program a PLC in my sleep and connect all that is needed to the PLC. I can program in multiple computer languages. I also wired the light in my daughters bedroom all by myself. Following instructions is not a problem if the instructions are available. Having been licensed to fly Helicopters and jets in my life I think I am technically able. My beef with Centroid is their condescending attitude towards their customers.

Comment

Working...
                                X